HELP...Music Question

Quick background...this is my 9th cruise and my 1st cruise as a health nut...so this will be my first time even setting foot in the gym on the ship.

I do not belong to a gym at home but my DH is a fitness nut and we have every piece of equipment at home so when I work out its by myself at home. I am typically a DVD video kinda gal but here recently I have been doing some HIIT on the elliptical. I am pretty self conscious so for the cruise I want to stick to the HIIT on the elliptical and maybe do some yoga classes. I just need to burn calories to make up for all the extra I plan to consume...trying to keep the gain to a min if possible. I just lost 50 pounds and finally got my bikini back!! :D

When I am on the elliptical I put on my Pandora and blast my workout music to keep me entertained and motivated. So last night as I am working out it dawned on me...WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC:eek::eek::eek:???? No Wifi for Pandora and I just plug my iPhone into my elliptical and my elliptical has speakers to blast it. I MUST have my music....so....how does this work? I am assuming that no one blasts their own music and probably use some kind of headphones. Do they have headphones you can borrow? Do I buy my own? Do they play music? Any insight would be helpful.

We are leaving in 9 days and if I need to buy something I need to know quick so I have time. TIA!!

First of all, congratulations! Amazing progress!!!!

Music wise, you are kinda stuck- you need headphones, unless you are ok with the overhead music blaring. And sources- may need some emergency work done, but you'll have to download music to your iPhone.

And for headphones, none are provided. So you need to get some those, too. I use the headphones that came with my iPhone... Seem pretty good.

Thanks Alfaeric!

I have my iPhone headphones, maybe I will give them a try tonight at home and see how they do...I remember years ago, when I tried a gym, that I had earbuds and they kept falling out of my ears....I will have to make some music playlists this weekend so I am prepared...thanks for the tips that really helps!

Any newbie tips I should know about the gyms? Like are there per peeves that regular gym people hate that I should be aware of? I am so nervous about working out in public...I just don't want to embarrass myself again but I want to make sure that my bikini still fits at the end of the cruise too!

I really embarrassed myself a long time ago and that is why I never went back. Looking back now its hysterical but I didn't know there was a lag time on the treadmill so I moved the speed up to quick and I went flying off the back and landed on someone....I was mortified:eek:.....Now I think its hysterical but not at the time. I also heard someone mumble something about a gym "newbie".

I have the same problem with earbuds, to the point where I'm ready to get the really nice Bose ones that are supposed to be a tight fit. But found some cover things that work reasonably well with the apple ones that I'm ok. It does help to have a clip in the headphone wire- so that the bounce to your ears is lowered.

Pet peeves... can't think of any. The biggest issue you will have is finding a spot during the high times. But that's usually the first sea day in the morning. As the cruise goes on, less people work out.... funny how that is.

I've personally never encountered a problem or problem person in the gym. Just go, work, and have fun.

We do the spinning classes, too. But only do yoga on the beach (which is only offered on Coco Cay for Royal Caribbean).

Edit- now that I see your sailing- DW and I REALLY love running in San Juan. Hot, hilly, sure. But pretty neat.

Edited by alfaeric

Great! We are on the Jewel out of San Juan and only 1 sea day, which is the last day! So maybe the gym will be empty, that would be great!

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully there will be no more issues and I will blend in with everyone else! LOL Now I just gotta narrow down my playlist!:D

• 1 month later...

There are earbuds made for running/cardio that won't fall out. They really work. I have a pair that I use for running and They have never slipped out. The Apple ones don't stay in for 30 seconds. You can find them at most sporting/running stores. Fleet Feet, Dicks, Sports Authority, etc. For about $15.

Load up iTunes with your favorites (unless you have a paid subscription to a music service and can use it offline) and run!

There are earbuds made for running/cardio that won't fall out. They really work. I have a pair that I use for running and They have never slipped out. The Apple ones don't stay in for 30 seconds. You can find them at most sporting/running stores. Fleet Feet, Dicks, Sports Authority, etc. For about $15.

Load up iTunes with your favorites (unless you have a paid subscription to a music service and can use it offline) and run!

I also purchased running earbuds and they do great at staying put. They have them for different size ears, genders, ect.. I use my old faithful IPod, tuck it in my running belt and run;)

I have only taken the Yoga classes on board and they were very good!

Congrats on the weight loss!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Quick background...this is my 9th cruise and my 1st cruise as a health nut...so this will be my first time even setting foot in the gym on the ship.

I do not belong to a gym at home but my DH is a fitness nut and we have every piece of equipment at home so when I work out its by myself at home. I am typically a DVD video kinda gal but here recently I have been doing some HIIT on the elliptical. I am pretty self conscious so for the cruise I want to stick to the HIIT on the elliptical and maybe do some yoga classes. I just need to burn calories to make up for all the extra I plan to consume...trying to keep the gain to a min if possible. I just lost 50 pounds and finally got my bikini back!! :D

When I am on the elliptical I put on my Pandora and blast my workout music to keep me entertained and motivated. So last night as I am working out it dawned on me...WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC:eek::eek::eek:???? No Wifi for Pandora and I just plug my iPhone into my elliptical and my elliptical has speakers to blast it. I MUST have my music....so....how does this work? I am assuming that no one blasts their own music and probably use some kind of headphones. Do they have headphones you can borrow? Do I buy my own? Do they play music? Any insight would be helpful.

We are leaving in 9 days and if I need to buy something I need to know quick so I have time. TIA!!

Hi everyone, newbie here, both for cruising and posting on CC.

I use Spotify. You can download all your playlists.

I love my Sony wireless earbuds. They never fall out.

BJ

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app