Photo review Nieuw Amsterdam 24-n Med cruise July 11 2014

Laurino

Thanks for all the great information and photos. I have a question - when you say you wished you had had black-out curtains in the room, were they just the semi-sheer ones you had? Usually they have full length plastic (rubber?) liners, so the room is darkened, if not completely black. We take along a few clips to keep them closed at night. Was your sleep disturbed?

We're looking forward to seeing the changes to the Sagrada Familia since we were last there. You seem to have been so well prepared for all your travels. You must be a great planner!

There were two sets of curtains, one translucent set and one heavy set that we assumed was black-out, but it either had no plastic liner or a too thin liner. My partner has to have black-out, I don't need it, it wasn't dark enough for him in the mornings. Hotels usually have much better curtains than the ship had.

My partner had been to Sagrada many years ago, he was amazed that the interiors were almost finished. Well I love to plan trips... After the trip I usually do movies and photo books, this time also a review. For me, planning and post-processing helps my memory and prolongs the experience :D

Loved your review and your pictures are outstanding! We are heading on the second portion of your cruise in Sept. Did the evening shows have two show times? If not, what time did they usually perform? We are scheduled for the 8pm dinner and don't want to miss some of the entertainment. I'm debating changing to the "As you wish" dining.

Corinne

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review and wonderful photos. Thank you.

We board the Nieuw Amsterdam for this same itinerary on Aug 28. Your review and insider tips has been much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Loved your review and your pictures are outstanding! We are heading on the second portion of your cruise in Sept. Did the evening shows have two show times? If not, what time did they usually perform? We are scheduled for the 8pm dinner and don't want to miss some of the entertainment. I'm debating changing to the "As you wish" dining.

Corinne

Hi Corinne, thank you! Almost always, there were two shows and the times were 8pm and 10pm. It depends upon how large a table you will be at, but dinners in the MDR usually took about 70min on a two-top. If you change to open seating, it will probably be a lot busier at/after 8pm. We were always earlier 6-7pm, but we could see lines into the MDR when we were leaving at about 8pm.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review and wonderful photos. Thank you.

We board the Nieuw Amsterdam for this same itinerary on Aug 28. Your review and insider tips has been much appreciated.

Thanks for the kind comments. You're leaving really soon, how exciting for you! I've got more tips, if there's anything you're wondering about.

Just had to write a short message to thank you for posting your cruise review. Myself, husband and son were on the same cruise (second half as we did the other half last year) and your thoughts and experiences seem to concur almost exactly with ours in both ports and staff! While we were not brave enough in ports to go about hiring a car or catching local buses, it was great to read of your positive experiences in this. It's given us plenty to think about as we try to organise our next HAL cruise!

Your critiques of the different aspects were insightful but, more importantly, very honest and you did a great job of articulating your thoughts.

thanks again,

Rosemary and family

(3 star mariners)

P.S. My husband and son even featured in your Kotor sail-away picture! A great reminder of a lovely time.

Just had to write a short message to thank you for posting your cruise review. Myself, husband and son were on the same cruise (second half as we did the other half last year) and your thoughts and experiences seem to concur almost exactly with ours in both ports and staff! While we were not brave enough in ports to go about hiring a car or catching local buses, it was great to read of your positive experiences in this. It's given us plenty to think about as we try to organise our next HAL cruise!

Your critiques of the different aspects were insightful but, more importantly, very honest and you did a great job of articulating your thoughts.

thanks again,

Rosemary and family

(3 star mariners)

P.S. My husband and son even featured in your Kotor sail-away picture! A great reminder of a lovely time.

Hi Rosemary, thank you for your kind reply! We do our own excursions etc partly because it saves money but also to get away from tour groups and be able to do exactly what we want. You need to plan before the trips and have margins to the sailing schedule. It also helps to feel comfortable in the area you're traveling to. The only cruise when we have done the cruise line's excursions, was when we did our first Central America cruise two years ago, since we don't speak Spanish and didn't know what it would be like in Colombia and Panama etc. It was nice but if we go again we will DIY.

I think my review is mostly very positive, especially about HAL. Maybe not that balanced, but we were truly pleased with the entire experience.

Is it the photo showing the 'backs' of everyone lined up by the railing of the bow? Not so good as a photo of specific persons, but I can e-mail it to you if you'd like that?

Thank you for your review - I've really enjoyed it. I'm taking my first Mediterranean cruise on Sept 9th, it's the 12 day part of your cruise. It's been great to see what I have to look forward to. One question I have is when you embark in Venice, I was going to take the people mover from our hotel. Does HAL have a bus to get you to the cruise terminal? From what I've read it's a bit of a walk. Not sure if we should take a cab, there are 4 of us and well have several pieces of luggage. Thanks again for your review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Laurino,

A few questions. Do you remember exactly the formal nights (which nights).

Also I have read on an earlier trip a few ports were switched to tender instead of docking. Did you have any of these surprises?

I think you mentioned a couple but I wasn't sure if they were planned or not

You referenced a few times re stocking your mini fridge while in port. Did you bring on extra liquor/wine in any ports. Also, did you try (and if so were you successful) bringing additional wine on mid cruise while in Venice?

Thanks.

Thank you for your review - I've really enjoyed it. I'm taking my first Mediterranean cruise on Sept 9th, it's the 12 day part of your cruise. It's been great to see what I have to look forward to. One question I have is when you embark in Venice, I was going to take the people mover from our hotel. Does HAL have a bus to get you to the cruise terminal? From what I've read it's a bit of a walk. Not sure if we should take a cab, there are 4 of us and well have several pieces of luggage. Thanks again for your review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too had heard of a shuttle in Venice. It's at least 700m to walk with luggage. We never saw/found it, but it's easy to miss since there was no signage by the people mover, it could have been any bus. Sorry I don't have a better reply. You could ask on this thread, which is Jellifer's review of the second cruise segment.

Edited by Laurino

Hi Laurino,

A few questions. Do you remember exactly the formal nights (which nights).

Also I have read on an earlier trip a few ports were switched to tender instead of docking. Did you have any of these surprises?

I think you mentioned a couple but I wasn't sure if they were planned or not

You referenced a few times re stocking your mini fridge while in port. Did you bring on extra liquor/wine in any ports. Also, did you try (and if so were you successful) bringing additional wine on mid cruise while in Venice?

Thanks.

Hi Josie2. There were 6 formal nights: night 2 (sea day from Venice), night 7 (Mytilini), night 11 (sea day to Venice), night 14(2) (sea day from Venice), night 18(6) (sea day to Naples) and night 23(11) (Marseille).

Yes we hade some tender surprises. Argostoli was changed from tender to docked. Kotor and Monte Carlo were changed from docked to tender. Argostoli seemed to have a newly built pier. Kotor and Monte Carlo seemed to have too many yachts and smaller cruise ships in port, so there was no space left.

We drink very little alcohol and brought only sodas, water and snacks onboard.

Cruise movie!

I have also made a movie about the cruise, you can watch it on YouTube here:

Special interests:

- For those of you that are only interested in the second cruise segment (Venice-Barcelona), you can start watching at 32min.

- For those of you that are interested in the "Behind the scenes ship tour", you can watching between 52min to 56min.

The movie is too long really (1 hour, for a very busy cruise!) and a bit shaky at times (windy on deck!). Also I prefer to use local music - but then I couldn't have posted it online, with the copyright issues.

Day 13, July 23, Venice, continued & sail away

I need to post even more pictures of beautiful Venice.

This, if you can believe it, is a hospital:

IMG_4165_zps50ef7143.jpg

We bought pizza slices from a 'hole in the wall' and had lunch on the street. It's strange that street food often is better than restaurant food. There was still time left, so we decided to take the Vaporetto to Murano island (the glass island). It's quite relaxing to get out of crowded Venice for a while. I also bought a small piece as a souvenir in one of the more tasteful showrooms (Murano glass tends to be colorful IMO).

Fantastic glass sculptures in the squares of Murano:

IMG_4168_zps0b0435fc.jpg

IMG_4173_zps17f71bb5.jpg

There was a great express-Vaporetto, line #3, that took us quickly back to Piazzale Roma and from there we used the People mover as usual.

HAL Noordam was docked right next to us and departed in the afternoon:

IMG_4197_zpsb9416535.jpg

We had muster drill at 8pm and sail away at 11pm:

IMG_4074_zps745aa32f.jpg

It was nice to sail away in the evening, but much of Venice is not illuminated. After all, not many people live in the city anymore. You can see much stronger lights in the background, on the mainland in Mestre.

IMG_4213_zps012c80f5.jpg

We will be in Venice before leaving on the Noordam from Rome in October. Your photos are wonderful, they are making me even more excited if that is possible.

thanks

Terri

• 1 month later...

Laurino, thank you very much for this great review and stunning pictures. We are sailing in August on the Zuiderdam for the 33 days Best of Mediterranean. It has most of the port calls your cruise had. This is our first HAL cruise and our first Mediterranean cruise. We are planning to do many of the shore excursions as possible on our own, for much the same reasons you gave throughout your review. You have helped us enormously in this. Once again, thank you.

Laurino, thank you very much for this great review and stunning pictures. We are sailing in August on the Zuiderdam for the 33 days Best of Mediterranean. It has most of the port calls your cruise had. This is our first HAL cruise and our first Mediterranean cruise. We are planning to do many of the shore excursions as possible on our own, for much the same reasons you gave throughout your review. You have helped us enormously in this. Once again, thank you.

Thank you! I'm glad to help. I hope you'll have a great cruise, 33 days is a long time, you'll get to see most of the Mediterranean! I see Valletta is on your cruise, that's perhaps the only port we felt 'we missed'. Zuiderdam was our first HAL ship.

I just spent the last couple of hours looking at all seven pages of your review and pictures. It is fantastic and full of so much useful information. We will be sailing on the second part of your cruise, except sailing out of Barcelona to Venice and we will definitely refer back to each port. Thanks for taking the time to put together such a great review.

IMG_4506_zpsdd8d1b73.jpg

Wow!

What a pair!

Probably 5 best cruise ships afloat (after The Queen of All Ships - RMS Queen Mary 2 ocean liner):

2. Queen Elizabeth

3-5. Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam and Allure OTS & Oasis OTS

Just a note. The Queen Elizabeth is not a Signature Class ship (a sophisticated derivative of the Vista class platform).

This Queen is also a derivative of the Vista clas but the most distant relative with lengthened and strengthened hull, significantly redesigned public rooms and open decks.