Tips for Venice

cruise4life_789

Just returned from 3 days in Venice.

We found that we really enjoyed the Frari Church and the Scuola San Rocca. If you want to see some real art masterpieces these are great experiences and have nowhere near the crowds of some of the more prominent sites. They are really close to each other with some inexpensive lunch options and crowd free shopping and wandering in the vicinity.

We absolutely loved the island of Burano also.

The wife and I went to Venice earlier in the year for three days and really enjoyed ourselves - it was the final weekend of Carnivale and was just amazing (if it wasn't for the rain - on the last day we had to take some very odd walking paths on the main island to avoid the flooding).

We stayed out on Guidecca at the Hilton, which was really handy for the shuttle service straight to and from St Marks, and was pretty convenient for the ACTV shuttle bus/vapporetto combo to get to and from the airport.

I'd heavily recommend visiting the Doges Palace - it was my favourite thing in the city and when we return to Venice, I'm sure I'll go there again - I enjoyed it that much.

We went out to Murano and Burano, and while I really enjoyed Murano, I just don't think the travel time (and the extremely cramped vapporettos between the islands) make the journey from Murano to Burano worth it on a short stay. Getting all the way out there, walking around both islands and coming back ate up an entire day for us whereas I think you could comfortably do Murano in the morning (especially if you didn't stay out on Guidecca like we did!).

But Venice is like no where else, it's a really magical place and I'm sure like me, once you go, you'll want to go back immediately.

Grego- I stayed at the same hotel a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Lovely breakfast, spacious room (for Europe) and nice service. It's also located in a great space. Close to San Marco but not noisy. The best part is it's got its own water deck meaning that a water taxi can take you right there. I only found this out after I had schlepped my bags over bridges, people's feet, etc. I wish I had done my homework before but it was nice having the luxury of a water taxi to return me to the ship.

One bit of warning that I, again, learned the hard way. There are no screens on the windows so don't make the mistake I did in lying down for a nap with the windows open!! I was covered in mosquito bites from head to toe.

Enjoy your stay!!

Shelly :)

Edited by bellagirl
thought of something!

• 3 weeks later...
There are so many experienced travelers on this board. I love it! I'd like to ask some advice. I'll be in Venice in October for the first time. I'll arrive two days before my cruise so I have a little time to enjoy Venice. For context, I'll be traveling solo and arriving mid-morning. I'll have only a backpack and one carry-on sized roller suitcase. I plan to purchase a 48-hour vaporetto ticket.

Would love your advice on the best way to:

• Travel from the airport to my hotel (Best Western Olimpia). There's no such thing as too much detail in your directions! Can I travel via vaporetto and start using that 48-hour ticket right away?

• Travel from my hotel to St Mark's Basillica.

• Travel from my hotel or St Mark's to Burano.

• Get from my hotel to the port (I chose this hotel because I understand it's close to the port).

• Travel from the port to the airport when I return to Venice the following week.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Quilter. We too are staying at the BW Olimpia in October. We are on the Regal TA cruise. We are taking the airport bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma to get to the hotel.

We were planning on either walking or taking Vaparetto to St. Mark's as well as Murano & Burano. Looking into getting the 36 hour pass.

I have arranged for a private car to take 8 people from Piazzale Roma to the ship. You can email for the information on that (in signature). It is only 52 Euros for 8 people & their luggage. So it comes to 13 Euros per COUPLE. The car will drop us off at the ship. The People Mover (from what I understand) drops you off a bit from the ship and you have a walk to get there (ship).

This too will be our first time to Venice.

I have a question: We are wanting to do a Gondola ride. Prefer daytime - that way we can see the buildings and beautiful architecture. Would prefer a smaller canal (not the Grand Canal) - but not one that goes down an "alley" and all you see is the bottoms of buildings. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

we did a 4 hour guided tour of 3 islands Murano Burano and Torcello.Can be bought direct from Alilaguna ticket office at St Marco for 20 euros on the day.

going on Venicelink can get slightly cheaper if booked in advance.

This site is also good for getting water taxis pre booked for a 10 euro discount for transport to and from airport to your requested hotel

Hi Quilter. We too are staying at the BW Olimpia in October. We are on the Regal TA cruise. We are taking the airport bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma to get to the hotel.

We were planning on either walking or taking Vaparetto to St. Mark's as well as Murano & Burano. Looking into getting the 36 hour pass.

I have arranged for a private car to take 8 people from Piazzale Roma to the ship. You can email for the information on that (in signature). It is only 52 Euros for 8 people & their luggage. So it comes to 13 Euros per COUPLE. The car will drop us off at the ship. The People Mover (from what I understand) drops you off a bit from the ship and you have a walk to get there (ship).

This too will be our first time to Venice.

I have a question: We are wanting to do a Gondola ride. Prefer daytime - that way we can see the buildings and beautiful architecture. Would prefer a smaller canal (not the Grand Canal) - but not one that goes down an "alley" and all you see is the bottoms of buildings. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Thank you for the information! I think I've got my transportation from airport to hotel figured out--sounds like the ATVO bus is the way to go. Since there's only one of me 52 Euros is pretty hefty for getting to the ship. I'm thinking I'll just take the People Mover and walk from there--it doesn't sound too bad!

I'll arrive late morning so am thinking I'll be at my hotel by 12:30 or 1:00 so will find a nearby restaurant a friend recommended and have my first taste of Italian pizza. :D Thinking of heading for St Mark's that first afternoon (I never take a nap on arrival day--reduces jet lag and helps my clock adjust to the new hemisphere) and then the next day take a vaparetto to Murano or Burano and explore. That still gives me another day to get totally lost in Venice and explore some of the back streets. :D

My best tip is try to get up really early one morning - near dawn if possible. Venice is quiet at that time of day. You can watch the working people hauling everything along the canals and then on carts along the streets. Makes you think about how the city operates. I was alone in San Marco Square as the sun came up (well, there were a few pigeons). The dawn sunlight on the mosaic tiles in the archways of the church was unforgettable.

wassup, I hope you're still monitoring this thread. Just curious about where you suggest watching Venice wake up--San Marco Square? If history repeats itself, my body will betray me and I'll be wide awake about 4 a.m. that second day. I always enjoy watching a city wake up when that happens. Are the vaparretos in operation at that early hour, say 5:00 a.m.?

• 1 month later...

When we were just there my bf loved to get up and watch the city wake up. We were staying in Venice and he just grabbed a coffee at a local shop near our little hotel. It happened to be near where there was a local fish stand. He loved watching it each morning. The set up and then watching the locals start showing up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums