Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

And we went out into the Harbour...

DSC07003.jpg

A Tauck river cruise ship with the Viking Eistla behind it, docked where we would board the Ingvi tomorrow....

DSC07008.jpg

I believe the Movenpick is the hotel Viking uses pre-cruise

DSC07011.jpg

DSC07013.jpg

The roof is is a neat man-made "beach"

DSC07014.jpg

After our canal cruise, we headed back to the apartment and joined up with the rest of our group. We had dinner in that night and then we ventured out to do a tour of the red-light district. We had purchased the tour and were led through the district by an actual worker. They give you a different perspective of this area and how things truly function. It was insightful and unique. And if you are curious, we were advised the average guy is inside those little rooms for 6 minutes....

Belle, a statue dedicated to all sex trade workers

DSC07045.jpg

DSC07049.jpg

Part of the Red Light district...they do not want you taking photos so I only have shots of the general area.. You will have to visit to see the rest....

DSC07052.jpg

DSC07054.jpg

After our red light district tour, we headed back to the apartment to pack up....in the morning we had a boat to catch!!!!

Edited by cruisinskier

So for all of you who have stuck with me through this first part of the review, what do you say we actually talk about the cruise :D

We had breakfast in our apartment and had Shuttle Amsterdam pick us up at our apartment at 10:45. For 30E, they shuttled the 6 of us to the Viking dock and around 11:00 am we were heading on board.

Shuttle Amsterdam

DSC07084.jpg

The Viking Ingvi

DSC07274.jpg

Our neighbor, Tauck ms Inspire, also launched in 2014

DSC07284.jpg

So we toured the boat earlier in this review and showed you the cabin. However there were a few other items in our cabin upon arrival that may be of interest....

Welcome Letter

Scan_20140814_195651.jpg

Optional Tours

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Optional Tour Price List

DSC07376.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

After having lunch and unpacking, we decided to head back off the ship for a few hours. Viking offered a walking tour of Amsterdam but given we had spent 3 days here, we knew our way around so we opted out.

We headed back passed the Central Train Station

DSC07272.jpg

Lots of bike parking...

DSC07212.jpg

DSC07270.jpg

We went into a local cheese shop..and may have bought some ;)

DSC07218.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

Then we headed back to the Ingvi.....not sure why these little cars are allowed to be in the bike lanes?

DSC07273.jpg

Home...at least for 7 days

DSC07280.jpg

The lounge area, getting busy as the nightly briefing is about to start before dinner

DSC07301.jpg

Meeting some of the dining room staff

DSC07303.jpg

DSC07304.jpg

Today was actually my birthday. I had done all of our bookings and had not said anything but they knew from our registration and brought a small cake to celebrate. They also did sing Happy Birthday. Sasha, the Maitre D' (who was fantastic), did come by ahead of time to ensure I was ok with them acknowledging my day.

DSC07313.jpg

And then they brought dessert, the Dark & White Chocolate Mousse.

DSC07316.jpg

And tea in great pots

DSC07320.jpg

Overall, the food throughout the week was very good. It was comparable to what we have had on other cruise lines and we all enjoyed every meal all week.

The nightly entertainment was piano player in the lounge

DSC07332.jpg

We decided to hang out on the sun deck and watch us sail away late that evening.....

DSC07344.jpg

DSC07334.jpg

DSC07359.jpg

And so our week on the Ingvi has begun. Tomorrow we visit the windmills at Kinderdijk.

We are taking this same trip in June 2015 and I am so thankful that you are posting your journey with so many great pictures and details. You have already answered many of my questions....and I am enjoying the cruise right along with you! Many thanks!

We are taking this same trip in June 2015 and I am so thankful that you are posting your journey with so many great pictures and details. You have already answered many of my questions....and I am enjoying the cruise right along with you! Many thanks!

Hi Janet. The fact that I have been able to answer some of your questions is exactly the reason I am doing this review. Glad to be able to assist and happy planning for your upcoming adventure!

Jerry

After a nice breakfast we headed out to tour the windmills at Kinderdijk. You can get more info here: https://www.kinderdijk.com/

For each of the Viking tours you bring along "Quietvox" receivers which were in your cabin. These allowed you to easily listen to your tour guide through earphones. This system worked great and you didn't have to worry about being right up listening to your tour guide.

Tours typically were split into 4 groups, with cabins assigned an A, B, C or D with one group for those who felt they needed a slower pace. You picked up your assignment at the front desk along with a card that basically told them you were off the boat. There was no swiping on and off like you do on larger cruise ships. Doing the math, the ship holds 190 people so there were roughly 47-48 people per group. However not everyone did each tour.

Kinderdijk is easily accessed and is basically a 10-15 minute walk across the road and along a level path to the windmills. This is well worth seeing!

Nick, our Program Director, dressed up for the visit

DSC07381.jpg

DSC07384.jpg

We were assigned to group C

DSC07382.jpg

Pumping Stations now assist with water movement

DSC07388.jpg

DSC07389.jpg

Jerry ~ your photos and comments are fantastic!!! We did this cruise last December in opposite direction - just lovin' re-living it!!!! And thanks SO much for adding Belgium & Amsterdam - that was fun to see, even place we never experienced!!!

This thread should be a "must" for anyone taking the Rhine cruise, especially on Viking!! You've answered almost any questions anyone could think of - and mostly in photos so people could "see" the answers - fabulous!!!!

Thanks SO much!! Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!!!