Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

I really enjoyed the pictures of the castles in middle Rhine and seeing the stature of Lorelei and the town of Rudesheim. Would you believe my husband and I got something like the dreaded Norovirus and this was the area I was sick through. I could only lie on my bed and stare out our patio doors in between sleeping and being sick....very, very disappointing! So to see all those wonderful castles was just a thrill Jerry. Can't wait for more of your pictures and reviews. Keep them coming!

Jerry ~ once again Thanks for letting us re-live our trip! And thanks for letting us see Rudesheim in the daylight!!! Last December when we docked - about 4:30pm - it was just getting dark! Of course the CMS & lights did make it magical, but also required our attention to walking!! It was a beautiful little town!!!

And your Middle Rhine photos are fabulous!!! For us it was really special cruising through that area since we had stayed overnight at the Schonburg Castle Hotel on a land trip a few years before! Great seeing it from the river!!

Really enjoying your trip!!!

Peg, Rudesheim was a fun place and even though we had a few hours, I get the feeling there were numerous hidden gems here if we had more time. Glad i was able to add a different perspective from what you experienced....and I am sure the Christmas Markets would be fun to do as well!!

We booked a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette going out of Amsterdam, and wanted to maximize our time in Europe so we add our first-ever river cruise. We are doing the Basal to Amsterdam Rhine Getaway with Viking (on the Kvasir). I have enjoyed your review and photos. I, too, am one who enjoys the planning part so I know all of my options ahead of time. I especially appreciate the dailies and menus (stuff you can’t find on Viking’s website). However, I still have questions, so here goes:

I find myself intrigued more by the First Course than the Main or Always Available courses. (Maybe that is because, unlike Strathenden, I enjoy mushrooms.) My first question is: Were you able to order more than one first course (or dessert course, or whatever course) if you wanted to? We tend to eat small plates (like First Courses in place of the Main Course).

In one of your photos of the room, it looked like there was a USB port available with the outlets. Do you remember if that is so?

Am I correct in assuming that the Optional Excursions were the only ones you had to pay for, but Shore Excursions (listed on the Dailies) were free?

Lastly, is it easy to get a beverage anytime you need one? We drink lots of water, soda on occasion, and cocktails after our meals while on vacation. I can do without soda and cocktails, especially knowing that wine is available with dinner. But is water easily accessible? Should I plan on bringing a water bottle to fill up?

Thanks again for all the information you’ve passed along so far, cruisinskier. And I appreciate your time in answering my very specific questions.

Hi and glad the dailies, etc are adding value! Let me try to answer your questions and I know travelfirst already provided feedback as well.

With regards to ordering numerous starters, my Father-in-law got in that habit on this trip and would routinely order 2-3 starters and no main. There was absolutely no issue with this and they happily brought him what he ordered. We also ordered a cheese plate or two for the table each night and again no problem.

As far as a USB, I did not use one so not sure on that....will have to look back at the photos to see if I can clarify for you.

With excursions, there was a daily excursion included as listed in the dailies, but careful as the optional tours are listed in the dailies as well. However all of the optional ones start with the wording "Optional Excursion" in the dailies.

Water is easily accessible. It is in your cabin daily, it is given to you every time you head off the boat on an excursion, and at the coffee station, there is a water dispenser with your choice of still or sparkling any time you want it.

Hope that answers your questions and glad to answer any others.

Jerry

I really enjoyed the pictures of the castles in middle Rhine and seeing the stature of Lorelei and the town of Rudesheim. Would you believe my husband and I got something like the dreaded Norovirus and this was the area I was sick through. I could only lie on my bed and stare out our patio doors in between sleeping and being sick....very, very disappointing! So to see all those wonderful castles was just a thrill Jerry. Can't wait for more of your pictures and reviews. Keep them coming!

cormike, that would have been horrible! We all know stuff can happen when we travel. Glad I was able to, in a small way, show you those items you barely saw out the window.... Glad you enjoyed and more to follow.

Jerry

I have been on four Viking river cruises and never had one problem. I was on the Rhine Getaway in November.

You can order as much food as you like.

Wine and beer are included with lunch and dinner and you can buy drinks at other times. They have champagne out at breakfast for those that want it.

There is a free excursion each day but if you want to choose something different you will pay for it.

You each get a bottle of water in your room every day and I am sure they will give you more if you ask. Usually when you are leaving on a tour they have bottles of water out there.

Thanks travelfirst....this was exactly as we experienced as well! Thanks for following along.

StudentoftheWorld ~ you've gotten excellent answers - but will just add some thoughts!

Jerry's is fabulous posting the dallies- but just be aware that traveling in the other direction often means slight adjustments to the schedule. You'll basically see the same places but perhaps at different times. For example, we sailed Basel to Amsterdam and Kinderdijk was after lunch. Just small changes.

As for First Courses being more interesting than the main - I completely agree with you - even in most restaurants!!! Last cruise one of the soups sounded very interesting but I really wanted a different First - after asking, the waiter brought the soup plus extra spoons so we all could taste!! They really are very accommodating!! And remember there's an "alternate" dining place - the Aquavit Lounge! We never ate there since we never wanted to miss "our table" - people we became friendly with - but sounds like it'd be a good suggestion at times!

As mentioned, the coffee station is open 24/7 with water, tea, coffees available. Jerry's earlier photo brought a smile as I remembered the early morning juice, coffee & e-mails!! And, yes, as you leave the ship water - and umbrellas in rainy weather - is always available and free!!

Excursions - daily ones plus a list of optional should be on Viking's Web site - they now have the digitalized version of the book you receive pre-cruise which is more detailed. Gives you a chance to do some research into the tours before the cruise. And remember, you don't have to take any excursions if you decide to DIY or even just stay aboard! Last year when we arrived at Kinderdijk I got off to take photos before a speaker began her presentation in windmills. There was a fellow passenger all excited after seeing a sign about bike rental and he said he was going to talk his wife into it! Shortly I saw him at the desk looking over a map (Viking always has them for every stop) and talking to the cruise director. Later that evening when asked about the bike ride he had a big smile and said it was his best cruise day!! And sometimes when the tour bus returns for lunch its possible to stay in town for lunch (like Strasbourg) and catch a later shuttle or walk if the distance isn't too far. So there are chances to personalize your trip!!!

Have a great cruise!! Amsterdam is fabulous! and Basel wonderful!

Before we move on from Rudesheim, this night was the first indication that there was the potential for some trouble ahead. From conversations we had with folks on the Gullveig, due to high water they were not able to start their trip in Basel and instead had started in Breisach, being bused from Basel. That evening in the Program Director's update, he did indicate that the Captain was keeping an eye on water levels and that if there was any change in our itinerary, they would advise once they had a definite answer. We did appreciate them advising that something could happen in the coming days....overall communication was very good. They could not provide definite answers at this point but they didn't try to hide anything either.

Edited by cruisinskier

Our forecast for the day was...rain. Let's hope we get as much rain as we had the past two days when we had the same forecast!

DSC08377.jpg

Breakfast menu...the French Toast was very good

DSC08378.jpg

On the bus to Heidelberg

DSC08379.jpg

Nick (Program Director) and Barbara (Concierge)

DSC08383.jpg

Heidelberg Castle

DSC08385.jpg

DSC08390.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

Loved Heidelberg! We had the opposite of your weather - beautiful blue skies that day. Such fun to see your pictures.

It looks like you had a Bavarian Breakfast for lunch, though. Weisswurst, Weissbier, and pretzels is the traditional breakfast menu. ;) Still yummy no matter what time of day, though!

ok, as i write this i am only at page 4 of your report….i skipped ahead to page 13 just to say thanks…and wow …such a great and informative report…my wife and i are doing this trip next March on Viking.

From Basel at disembarkation we are taking the train to Paris for our annual month of April in France, so i will be following your journey there too very carefully.

this afternoon i will crack a miller lite and toast you as i turn to page 5 of your essay.

Best regards, thanks again terry

We were back on board around 3:45 from Heidelberg, dropped some stuff in the cabin and headed back out to investigate Speyer. In speaking with Nick, our Program Director, we would typically be docked until 8:30 pm however you can see from the daily this had been pushed ahead to 7:00 pm. And then the captain decided we needed to push that forward to 6:30 as he was closely watching river levels and there was a bridge down river that was of concern. Based on water level projections, we needed to depart a little earlier. I know this was a minor change compared to what others have experienced on the rivers but it shows the need for flexibility and that decisions are made as information is available. In the end we lost two hours in Speyer as they wanted to get us to the other ports.

So off we went into Speyer, leaving the boat around 4:00 pm. There was a walking tour organized by the boat however we skipped it as I had my own agenda item here. The walk into Speyer was 10-15 minutes, along the river and then through a large park.

Walking into Speyer

DSC08608.jpg

As usual, we had company in the port

DSC08609.jpg

My goal was to see the Speyer Cathedral....and maybe get some exercise!

DSC08650.jpg

DSC08624.jpg

DSC08629.jpg

DSC08631.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

We had seen a lot of churches on this trip, and many more over the years. Yet there was something about the Speyer Cathedral that was very impressive. And it holds a few surprises as well.....

DSC08652.jpg

DSC08653.jpg

DSC08656.jpg

Above that window in the ceiling there is a room I wanted to see....

DSC08662.jpg

There were numerous animals carved into the church walls

DSC08667.jpg

But we were here to climb! So we bought our tickets and up we went..

DSC08671.jpg

Two thirds of the way up, there is a large room full of fresco's which have been restored. They were huge and very impressive to see....and no one would know they are there without a bit of research! These all originally were hung in the church but have been moved to a safer spot after being restored. You only have access to this area by buying the ticket to climb the towers. More info here: http://www.speyer.de/sv_speyer/en/Tourism/Tourist%20attractions/The%20Speyer%20Cathedral/Emperor's%20Hall%20and%20Observation%20Platform/

DSC08672.jpg

Looking down through that window in the ceiling in my prior post....

DSC08676.jpg

DSC08677.jpg

DSC08678.jpg

DSC08681.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

Next we continued our climb up the tower....

DSC08682.jpg

We made it!

DSC08701.jpg

And enjoyed some great views!

DSC08685.jpg

This cathedral actually has 4 towers, 2 at each end

DSC08702.jpg

Speyer from above....how many steeples are in this town?

DSC08688.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

Loved Heidelberg! We had the opposite of your weather - beautiful blue skies that day. Such fun to see your pictures.

It looks like you had a Bavarian Breakfast for lunch, though. Weisswurst, Weissbier, and pretzels is the traditional breakfast menu. ;) Still yummy no matter what time of day, though!

I stand corrected....it was on the early side for lunch and I guess I should have said true German food!! Let's call it brunch :D

Our weather for the day was overcast, a little misty (as you can see in some photos), but the rain held off once again!!

Edited by cruisinskier