New to cruising with kids

sharona211

Hi All. I've been on 5 Carnival cruises over the years but always either with couples or a girls getaway with 2 per cabin. Thinking of taking a 7 day cruise with my Mom and my 11 year old DD. We would be booking a balcony cabin I think or an Ocean suite depending on the following...

What is the accommodation if there is a 3rd person in the cabin? I don't recall there ever being room for anything like a rollaway. Do the couches open up? Is there one of those fold down bunks? What is the usual situation for a family of 3? It is a port intensive cruise and we will be spending very little time in our cabin. I don't anticipate any space problem w/ 3 in the cabin as we frequently travel together but not sure about the sleeping arrangements. Information? Opinions? Experiences?

TIA

The couch does fold out into a bed, there is a bunk that comes down, and there is a roll away bed. All these are options in different cabins. Call and let them know and you can specify which you would prefer and they can put you in a room with that specific 3rd sleeping option

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband, daughter and I have been on two cruises, both in balcony rooms. The couch is the size of a twin bed when you take the back cushions off. The cabin steward will make it into a bed at night. There was plenty of room for the three of us in a balcony room. My daughter loves cruising, your 11 year old is going to love it.

If the cabin is designated for 2, a roll away cannot be brought in. The cabin must be specific for 3.

yes, when you book, you must specify how many will be in the room and they'll accommodate the number. again, this goes back to the 3rd sleeping option. some rooms have the fold down bunk bed, the couch that fold out, or the roll away option.

in our balcony on the Magic 2 weeks ago, we had the couch option (didnt think to ask for a bunk bed room, cause our son LOVES those). when we got to our room, it was already made out and ready.

there's a link somewhere (ive done lost it now) where it shows the deckplans and each room has certain symbols on it (star, square, circle) and there's a key on the deckplan map that tells you which is which. star=bunk bed, square=couch, circle=roll away. those arent the exact, but just an example.

Edited by KLD1019

Bedding depends on the ship.

Some ships are grandfathered for roll aways

the sofa does NOT pull out to a bed.

the back of the sofa comes off and is converted into a bed.

so for the 3rd person-- it depends.

if an older ship they could have a roll away

they could have the convertible sofa

or they can have an upper bed.

looking at the deck plans the symbol in the cabin number will tell you the bed configerations

Thanks all for the answers! Our preference is to have the sofa option. None of us are wanting a bunk. In order of age - too old, bad back, princess/diva.

I did end up finding the info on the Carnival site. When. You do a dummy booking to see what cabins are available, when you click on a cabin there is a description of the cabin that specifies sofa bed.

Thanks all for the answers! Our preference is to have the sofa option. None of us are wanting a bunk. In order of age - too old, bad back, princess/diva.

I did end up finding the info on the Carnival site. When. You do a dummy booking to see what cabins are available, when you click on a cabin there is a description of the cabin that specifies sofa bed.

I would not count on that picture when you click on the cabin-- they are stock photos

I would not count on that picture when you click on the cabin-- they are stock photos

I was referring to the individual cabin description at tge end of the booking, not the photo. It says either sofabed, Pullman or double sofabed depending on which cabins you select. Is that also not reliable?

I was referring to the individual cabin description at tge end of the booking, not the photo. It says either sofabed, Pullman or double sofabed depending on which cabins you select. Is that also not reliable?

the symbol inside the cabin is the most reliable.

remember that older ships are grandfathered in= so a cabin might have no symbols but some cabins can hold a rollaway or a trundle. (i hate trundles)

http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/CRUISES/Carnival-Sensation-March-31st/i-fM6wqMZ/0/L/IMG_0615-L.jpg

Edited by serene56

We have been on several cruises with 3 in the cabin. The best situation is to have the sofa. We have had a overhead bed which was a pain because it was down all the time and over the head of our beds. Every time I got out of bed, I had to be real careful that I did not hit my head on the metal structure of the fold down bed! My daughter has slept on the sofa when she was younger with no problem. On our last cruise on the Liberty, she said the sofa was very uncomfortable (she is now 20). We ask our room steward for a foam pad and he was more than happy to accommodate our request. Hope this helps.