How low will rates go

Cheetah474

Just curious if the rates I've been seeing out of NOLA ($189) for gty OV -5 nights and under $160 for a cruise out of Tampa( 5 night) is pretty typical for this time of year or particularly low. Also, does Carnival price match up to the day of the cruise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's pretty typical from what I've noticed (I frequently check out of curiosity since I'm a Florida resident), but remember that the reason rates are low is partially because it is hurricane season so more chance your itinerary could change significantly. I know of more than a couple people who took cruises at this time of year because the rates are very low, but had a LOT of rain during most of the trip and found they couldn't do as much as they wanted to.

I have been watching one as well for the last 3 weeks. It has dropped another $40 per person during that time.

Here is a suggestion for you.

I have started placing the cruise on the 24 courtesy hold in case price goes up. I set a notification on my phone to remind me 30 minutes before the courtesy hold is set to expire so that once it does expire I can renew in it right away for another 24 hours.

Going to keep doing this until closer to the cruise. Seems like the only way to get the lowest rate. Also helpful should a hurricane / tropical storm creep up then we might avoid booking all together.

Edited by jb456

I have been watching one as well for the last 3 weeks. It has dropped another $40 per person during that time.

I have started placing the cruise on the 24 courtesy hold in case price goes up. I set a notification on my phone to remind me 30 minutes before the courtesy hold is set to expire so that once it does expire I can renew in it right away for another 24 hours.

Going to keep doing this until closer to the cruise. Seems like the only way to get the lowest rate. Also helpful should a hurricane / tropical storm creep up then we might avoid booking all together.

Do you do this courtesy hold with a human or online?

This would really help me when I see a good rate, but have to talk to someone before I can book us.

Do you do this courtesy hold with a human or online?

This would really help me when I see a good rate, but have to talk to someone before I can book us.

I do it right online.

Find your cruise and select book.

Choose what special your booking (resident rate, pack n go, more the merrier, etc)

Select rooms (if that is one of the trips your booking)

Click continue (where the next page shows the total price of the trip)

Just under the total price you will see a blue button that says "courtesy hold"

Thanks for the info about the early savers price match time. I understand about hurricane season, I was just thinking that the prices were unusually low.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They seem unusually low to me too.

I did not see the $189 out of New Orleans, but I have been watching that cruise drop to $199.

We have sailed around that time for 9 years straight and it has not been that low before.

It is usually around $300 to $350.

In 2010 it was $400 something.

I saw $109 on a four day out of Port Canaveral.

That is $27 a day.

And the least expensive I have ever seen.

I do it right online.

Find your cruise and select book.

Choose what special your booking (resident rate, pack n go, more the merrier, etc)

Select rooms (if that is one of the trips your booking)

Click continue (where the next page shows the total price of the trip)

Just under the total price you will see a blue button that says "courtesy hold"

Thank you.

You may have changed my life.:)

When you redo the hold, does it hold at the old price or the new one?

Edited by mzloolue

Thank you.

You may have changed my life.:)

When you redo the hold, does it hold at the old price or the new one?

After 24 hours it just expires and you have to redo the booking steps to place a new courtesy hold.

If price stays the same then the new hold would be same price.

If price goes down the new hold would be with the new price.

If price goes up then you probably should have booked while you still had the courtesy hold on lol :D

I have noticed something that might help you. Considering I have been checking prices on 2 cruises about 10 times a day for the last 3 weeks there appears to be a pattern as to when Carnival changes the prices.

It's been late at night or early morning that prices have been changed. So if you place a courtesy hold in the afternoon (let's say 2:30pm).. then I think it will cover you between price changes and give you time to decide to book or not if the price does go up.

Obviously this is just my guess and I am sure they can change the prices at anytime of the day but that is just what I have noticed over the last 3 weeks.

We cruise in 9 days and the price has gone from $2000 to $1481 for a 7 night out of galveston for a balcony since we booked it I understand this is the week the kids go back to school in Texas so it a quiet time for the ships. By payment time it was $1740 and now we have obc too ;-)

After 24 hours it just expires and you have to redo the booking steps to place a new courtesy hold.

If price stays the same then the new hold would be same price.

If price goes down the new hold would be with the new price.

If price goes up then you probably should have booked while you still had the courtesy hold on lol :D

I have noticed something that might help you. Considering I have been checking prices on 2 cruises about 10 times a day for the last 3 weeks there appears to be a pattern as to when Carnival changes the prices.

It's been late at night or early morning that prices have been changed. So if you place a courtesy hold in the afternoon (let's say 2:30pm).. then I think it will cover you between price changes and give you time to decide to book or not if the price does go up.

Obviously this is just my guess and I am sure they can change the prices at anytime of the day but that is just what I have noticed over the last 3 weeks.

Thanks.

For some reason I keep checking prices even though I know I cannot go this fall.

I am spoiled and it feels like I should be planning a cruise.

I'm jonesing for one I guess.

But I will be going sometime!

I don't know how close to sailing your cruise is, but the courtesy hold through the site option may disappear shortly before the cruise. We've booked 2 last minute cruises in the past year and had to call for courtesy holds because we couldn't do it online. Our PVP told us it was to ensure that cabins were actually booked instead of placeholders.