Questions about DIYing the Acropolis and Shopping in Athens

Quilting_Cruiser

Our taxi rides from across the street from E11 dock to Acropolis were about 10 EUR each way. The taxi dropped us off closer to the ticket office than busses would be able to.

We used the taxibeat app and had great drivers. It took some walking to get to the E11 terminal and then across the street. After we used the app to hail a taxi, it took about 5 minutes for it to come. Meter only starts when you enter the cab.

Thanks! :D

• 1 month later...
When we were there in June, we spent 4 Euros each for a transportation pass - taking the X80 bus from the dock to the Acropolis, and returning via the Metro.

Nothing wrong with doing a cab, but I second this. The Metro was incredibly easy (and probably faster depending on the time of day). Also, it was a fun ride and neat way to see a cross-section of the city that you won't get at the Acropolis and Plaka.

Nothing wrong with doing a cab, but I second this. The Metro was incredibly easy (and probably faster depending on the time of day). Also, it was a fun ride and neat way to see a cross-section of the city that you won't get at the Acropolis and Plaka.

I agree that the metro is easy but keep in mind that this green line is known for its many pickpockets. A young woman tried to pick my husband's pocket while we were switching trains at Monastiraki but the only thing he puts in his back pocket is a map. Athens is a good place for using a money belt or bra stash.

Edited by CintiPam

OP here. I ended up taking a cab and got to the Acropolis well before the crowds. As I was leaving, there were tons of people making the climb up to the top. I'd pay 20 Euro for the luxury of getting there earlier any day of the week! :D

Glad it worked out!