Live from Uniworld’s River Countess around Venice.

roaming_kiwi58

We will be on the April 12th sailing (in 10 days!) and we have a balcony so I will immediately let you know if it was worth it. The way I see it, the balcony ( or veranda) is worthwhile not only when you are sailing but also when you are docked especially if you have a nice view. For example, in Budapest, we had a gorgeous view of the Hungarian Parliament Building lit up at night right from our balcony, and in Cochem, we lay in bed with the balcony door open and saw the Reichsburg Castle to name a few. I can only imagine that in Venice we can at least see the boats go by from our balcony but for all I know we may have our view blocked by cranes or large cruise ships at the Marittima Port so I will let you know by posting during the trip (time permitting).

I can only imagine that in Venice we can at least see the boats go by from our balcony but for all I know we may have our view blocked by cranes or large cruise ships at the Marittima Port so I will let you know by posting during the trip (time permitting).

You shouldn't be in Marittima -- Uniworld usually gets the much more desirable locations along the Giudecca Canal -- but you may be looking at gawkers on quayside! Nevertheless I agree that a balcony (or at least a French balcony) is worth it for the views and air, even if you can't always enjoy them.

On our Uniworld Venice cruise we had three different mooring places, including Marittima.

When we boarded the River Countess was at Santa Marta. Then we moved to Riva dei Sette Martiri. When we returned to Venice towards the end of the cruise and for disembarkation we were berthed at Marittima. Riva dei Sette Martiri is a great spot, with good views and a pleasant walk to St Mark's Square. The other two were not special, without interesting views. At Marittima you really do get swamped by the big ocean cruisers! Uniworld are of course at the mercy of the Port of Venice

On our Uniworld Venice cruise we had three different mooring places, including Marittima.

When we boarded the River Countess was at Santa Marta. Then we moved to Riva dei Sette Martiri. When we returned to Venice towards the end of the cruise and for disembarkation we were berthed at Marittima. Riva dei Sette Martiri is a great spot, with good views and a pleasant walk to St Mark's Square. The other two were not special, without interesting views. At Marittima you really do get swamped by the big ocean cruisers! Uniworld are of course at the mercy of the Port of Venice

Sorry to hear that. When I was in Venice she was berthed opposite the Hilton on Guidecca, which isn't the best spot but much better than Marittima.

I hope they dock all 3 days at the Riva Sette Martiri location right on the Canale di San Marco in Castello. How cool would that be! To be able enjoy an evening out at the opera or church concert or drinks at Piazza San Marco, and be able to leisurely stroll quayside back home or take the Vaporetto number 1 practically anywhere. How civilized! If it were a matter of money, I would gladly pay more to Uniworld to have them dock in a better location, but I know it's not that simple. When we were in Paris, it was perplexing to me that Viking and AMA were moored so much closer to the Eiffel Tower than we were on Uniworld. And I thought to myself "who makes these decisions?". Is there some little old guy in a bow tie, smoking a cigar in some back office who has to be paid off? I'm sorry, I just don't think it's as complicated or mysterious as everyone makes it out to be, and in this day and age of advanced communication and satellite mapping, they should be able to lease a berth where they dock with more consistency.