Travel insurance refusal declaration

It's no big deal, the TA gets commission, so they try yo sell you travel insurance as part if your trip. I always purchase my travel insurance online night through TA. There us no issue with declining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's no big deal, the TA gets commission, so they try yo sell you travel insurance as part if your trip. I always purchase my travel insurance online night through TA. There us no issue with declining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed.:D

Fair points. In general, there's a lot of protecting and controls favouring the business, and the contracts they write are skewed their way.

For me personally I would never want any document in existence that declared I did not purchase travel insurance under any circumstances. It could lead to problems later on, the declaration can easily be misinterpreted and insurance companies are the king of spin when it comes to misinterpreting words and misquoting.

Although it may not happen an insurance company that wants to play hard ball could easily state "we note on date you signed a declaration declining the offer of travel insurance and as such we cant honour your claim for..."

An insurance company can do that. Their logic is that you may purchase a holiday, not purchase travel insurance, discover a medical or other problem at a later date, purchase insurance and then try to make a claim.

It is a dangerous legal situation to be in and not in the consumers best interest to sign such a legal document that does not favour them.

If it were me I would demand the travel agent sign a statutory declaration acknowledging that you have purchased your own insurance with a company of your choice.

If it were me I would demand the travel agent sign a statutory declaration acknowledging that you have purchased your own insurance with a company of your choice.

I think you are reading too much into it. They are covering themselves in case the person wants to claim that insurance wasn't offered.

Again, fair point.

Just because they want to protect themselves, doesn't mean you should give up your own protection.

I have a friend who booked through a QLD agent who would not "issue their tickets" until they either took their insurance or provided insurance details. I told her to tell them where to shove it but also advised her that to not take travel insurance was crazy - just not through them and it was none of their business as to whether or not she took travel insurance - issue the damn tickets!

Our US TA has a box which indicates we have refused insurance - and refers to us specifically because their (US) insurance wouldn't cover us anyway:)

Agree with Rugbypopsie - TAs get a "very good" commission on travel insurance which is an excellent reason for sourcing your own travel insurance - which is, as most know, readily available online.

Cheers

Di

Agree with Rugbypopsie - TAs get a "very good" commission on travel insurance which is an excellent reason for sourcing your own travel insurance - which is, as most know, readily available online.

Cheers

Di

Yes, plenty of better and cheaper options. even if using the same company as the TA recommended, it can come out cheaper.:D

Yes, plenty of better and cheaper options. even if using the same company as the TA recommended, it can come out cheaper.:D

Nothing wrong with looking at alternatives.

However, just because it's the same company doesn't mean it's the same policy, so isn't necessarily "cheaper". Some companies do have specific products that are only sold through TAs.

Nothing wrong with looking at alternatives.

However, just because it's the same company doesn't mean it's the same policy, so isn't necessarily "cheaper". Some companies do have specific products that are only sold through TAs.

That is why reading the policy and making sure you are getting the cover you want is most important.:D

That is why reading the policy and making sure you are getting the cover you want is most important.:D

Of course.

But awareness is just as important, as people assume things like that the policies are the same. And aren't likely to read every single policy around before buying.

It's also important to make sure you consider what your specific risks are...if you have very expensive photographic equipment or jewellery most policies have an upper limit for such items unless they are specifically named..

Most policies exclude coverage if the item us out if your direct supervision....

Do you take part in risky activities, jet skis, bungee jumping...you need to check if that is covered.

Always make sure the. Coverage for medical evacuation, someone to travel with you etc. Have very high limits...the costs associated are huge,

Take the time to really check out your policy..you get insurance not because you think you will need it, but when you need it you really need it!

Sue

Of course.

But awareness is just as important, as people assume things like that the policies are the same. And aren't likely to read every single policy around before buying.

They need to read the policy every time as things can change.:D

It's also important to make sure you consider what your specific risks are...if you have very expensive photographic equipment or jewellery most policies have an upper limit for such items unless they are specifically named..

Most policies exclude coverage if the item us out if your direct supervision....

Do you take part in risky activities, jet skis, bungee jumping...you need to check if that is covered.

Always make sure the. Coverage for medical evacuation, someone to travel with you etc. Have very high limits...the costs associated are huge,

Take the time to really check out your policy..you get insurance not because you think you will need it, but when you need it you really need it!

Sue

Good post with sound advice.:D

They need to read the policy every time as things can change.:D

But we're talking about choosing a policy from different merchants, not when you've selected it.

Assuming that it is the same policy as from the same company means people wouldn't read it. Which is the problem.:D

True, in such cases you may need to go for the higher grade international options, which have correspondingly higher coverage levels.

But we're talking about choosing a policy from different merchants, not when you've selected it.

Assuming that it is the same policy as from the same company means people wouldn't read it. Which is the problem.:D

That is why I am telling them to read the policy every time. Things can change and some things may become excluded between differing merchants and with in the same company.

That is why I am telling them to read the policy every time. Things can change and some things may become excluded between differing merchants and with in the same company.

You can tell them, but I'd say it's unrealistic to expect people to believe people to read every single policy out there before they buy.

I'd say it's more likely they'll check around then read what is of interest to them e.g. those on a shortlist.

You don't need to read every policy to not assume that they're the same though. :D

For those feeling threatened or abhorred by signing/ box checking the disclaimer would it put your mind at ease if it stated you were declining the agency offer of their particular product "brand name" in favour of your one of your own choice... because that is how it should be worded IMO :D

Edited by badgerbill
add

For those feeling threatened or abhorred by signing/ box checking the disclaimer would it put your mind at ease if it stated you were declining the agency offer of their particular product "brand name" in favour of your one of your own choice... because that is how it should be worded IMO :D

I agree and some do say that you are declining the TAs offer and not that you are declining having insurance.:D

Absolutely not. I would never sign such a document.

Again if a travel agent was persistent I would demand they sign a statutory declaration acknowledging I had purchased my own insurance elsewhere.

I would leave no wiggle room on this. It would by my way only.

I would not sign any document like that. This is not a dictatorship and they cannot force you to sign it. You need to think of your own rights here.

A travel agent has no right to ask for such a document.

What next will they get you to sign? declarations stating you declined hotel bookings, flight bookings, transfers, shore excursions and all other things they offer.

No way do not sign it and tell the agent where to shove it. You do not want any document in existence with your signature on it stating you declined insurance. If the travel agent refuses to budge then fire them and find another agent to take over the booking.

I am not saying that you should not purchase insurance, but everyone searches for the best deals for their own insurance and the travel agent is not always the best choice. Signing such a document for them could leave you in a spot of bother.

By signing such a document it could end up in anyone's hands being misinterpreted that you declined travel insurance altogether.

Wow! Over react much? I think you'll find the document then goes on to ask for reasons why you aren't purchasing the TAs insurance (I believe the options are "purchased alternate policy", "relying on credit card insurance" and "choosing to travel without insurance". In this day and age (where people will take out lawsuits at the drop of a hat), it makes sense to have these disclaimers. It's a duty of care for agents to offer insurance. Yes, they are selling something and will receive commission from the sale, but this is a TAs way of making sure their client is prepared for their travel. Anyone who travels without some form of insurance is foolish!

I really don't understand the fear surrounding the insurance declaration. :confused:

I am sure the ones I have signed allowed me to indicate I had purchased elsewhere, and if not a current insurance policy with xyz insurance that you hold is going to out weigh a piece of paper held by ABC travel agent saying You declined their particular insurance.

Does anyone really think that if you need to claim on insurance purchased elsewhere your Travel agent is going to try and use the signed document against you, what out of spite?? Seriously think about the chance of that being a reality.

The form is not to mark you with a big "warning warning this person has no insurance anywhere on the planet", and it's purpose has been described many times over in this thread.

Perhaps if those protesting had ever had the chance to read one of these documents their fears would be calmed?

Edited by raks

Yes, some people have reacted way over the top but then it is their perogative if they do not wish to sign or tick the box or whatever. Either way, they should get insurance from somewhere or they run the risk of serious financial hardship. And then they go bleating around trying to blame everyone else for their mishap and error in judgement.:(

Edited by MicCanberra