Verizon Coverage in Ensenada?

I was wondering if anyone has had recent experience using a Verizon cell phone in Ensenada?

Specifically, I am wondering if I will have regular coverage, extended network coverage, or will I be using international roaming?

In Alaska we had "extended network" coverage, which is where you are using another provider's system, but are not charged roaming fees since Verizon has an agreement with the provider.

Thanks for any feedback.

In Ensenada it would be international roaming and VERY expensive. You would also be charged for all data that slips through even if you aren't making calls or texting. There have been some pretty horrific stories about giant cell phone bills for people who weren't aware of data roaming.

The main reason you weren't charged fees in Alaska is because it is part of the US. All carriers pretty much have free services inside the US. No charges in Hawaii either. Now Mexico is another story.

Bob

In Ensenada it would be international roaming and VERY expensive. You would also be charged for all data that slips through even if you aren't making calls or texting. There have been some pretty horrific stories about giant cell phone bills for people who weren't aware of data roaming.

The main reason you weren't charged fees in Alaska is because it is part of the US. All carriers pretty much have free services inside the US. No charges in Hawaii either. Now Mexico is another story.

Bob

Thanks.... I'll leave the phone firmly turned off!

Thanks.... I'll leave the phone firmly turned off!

Airplane mode is enough to keep any charges away and yet still allows you to use the phone as a clock, alarm clock, mp3 player etc. And if you find a spot with wifi, be sure to turn off data roaming before you take it off airplane mode and try to connect to the wifi.

I always leave my phone on, I just have data roaming off and airplane mode on most of the time.

Bob

Airplane mode is enough to keep any charges away and yet still allows you to use the phone as a clock, alarm clock, mp3 player etc. And if you find a spot with wifi, be sure to turn off data roaming before you take it off airplane mode and try to connect to the wifi.

I always leave my phone on, I just have data roaming off and airplane mode on most of the time.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have roaming turned off, so should be good to go.

I use ATT. I had been to Hawaii and Enesenada was the last stop before heading back to San Francisco . Since Hawaii was 'normal' US I had used my phone. I forgot to reset roaming etc.

I turned it on tied up in Ensenada.To my horror I saw roaming come up. I immediately turned it off. Cost of my error ? $15 Cellular at sea charge + another $15 from ATT for roaming in Mexico. :eek:

Don't turn your phone on without having a cheap international plan!

I use ATT. I had been to Hawaii and Enesenada was the last stop before heading back to San Francisco . Since Hawaii was 'normal' US I had used my phone. I forgot to reset roaming etc.

I turned it on tied up in Ensenada.To my horror I saw roaming come up. I immediately turned it off. Cost of my error ? $15 Cellular at sea charge + another $15 from ATT for roaming in Mexico. :eek:

Don't turn your phone on without having a cheap international plan!

Yikes!! Go thing you caught that! Setting the phone to airplane mode, and ensuring that roaming is turned off before you leave your last U.S. port would be a good precaution!

I have friends who went to Italy with their son, and they forgot to explain the world of cell phone charges to him. They came home to a $600 bill. Cell phone company took pity on them and reduced the bill somewhat, but they still had to pay a hefty fee.