Upgrade and not tell you?

Colfireman

All bookings are automatically marked "Will accept an upgrade" by default. This gives Princess the right to move you to another cabin as long as it's the same category or better, with or without notice. Your TA should have explained this. :( In the future, if you like your cabin and location, have your TA mark your booking "Do not upgrade."

Upgrades are not always better as they're based on general perceptions. For instance, you could be moved to an upper deck beneath open public deck and hear people walking/running day and night, power washing at 4am, etc. I was automatically upgraded a month ago to an upper deck mid-ship. My TA got my cabin back, fortunately, since I don't like mid-ship and prefer Emerald deck when possible.

We are booked on Emerald deck, Princess Regal Nov.30th. First trip on Princess. Tell me why you like the Emerald deck. Thanks:confused::) icon5.gif

I'd suggest that the next cruise you book, whether it be with Princess or another cruise line, that you specifically state that you DO NOT wish to be upgraded. All cruise lines have an upgrade process for revenue management purposes and if cabin type and location are crucial it is important to let them know. That way the rest of us can have a shot at the upgrade you don't want :D lol

Thanks for the snarky advice. As a matter of fact, our reservation is always marked no upgrade. And because we have been cruising since 1976, we have a vast array of experience with cruising and various lines.

The cruise was on the Coral Princess fro a partial transit of the Panama Canal. The ship had plenty of available space several weeks before sailing in balcony and minisuites, so there was a sale on inside and ocean view guaranteed rooms.

Passengers already booked in the inside and OV rooms were moved in mass to balconies and minisuites.

As you can imagine, this mass upgrade was a topic of conversation on the ship when everyone slowly realize it had occurred. And, no, no one was notified before hand and most found out at check in about the cabin switch.

We found that the large sliding doors on the balcony let in too much heat into the room for the AC to function efficiently. We took the hint from our cabin steward who closed the drapes whenever making up our room to keep the room cooler.

The balcony itself was too hot and in the full sun to be out on for more than a few minutes.

I'm booked for November in one of the worst cabins on the Golden Princess...So I'll take any upgrade...PLEASE...

We did the same exact cruise, same timing last year in a very nice Capri deck balcony cabin...But this year, money is quite a bit tighter having just unexpectedly "retired" 7 years ahead of plan...And they were offering incredibly low prices on inside cabins...So, I booked an inside Forward Deck 12...Would never be my pick except those prices went up even if we just moved to another inside closer to midship...

I prefer midship for the convenience...

So...If Princess wanted to move our cabin midship, I'd take it no questions asked...

Of course, as of this date, three months prior to the cruise, all of the inside cabins appear to be sold out (They are only accepting bookings with "cabin location to be assigned prior to sailing")...They have lots of Balconies, Mini Suites and Suites left to sell)

So, in that case, since the suites are moving so slowly, I will gladly allow them to upgrade me to a Suite! :)