FIRST TIMER: Norwegian Jewel (Jan. 3rd)

My mother, brother and myself will be on this cruise as well! Very excited for our first NCL cruise, I've only sailed carnival before. I agree with everyone previous, get there early for embarkation. Maybe I've just been lucky but in Galveston, we've always arrived around 10:30 and basically walked through security, check in and board. Now debarkation is a different story... 2 of my 3 cruises out of Galveston were delayed due to intense fog. (Again, I think I just lucked out on embarkation.)

I don't think anyone mentioned it but check out alternatives to the excursions offered through the cruise line. Sometimes you can find some awesome deals or other things to do that aren't offered by NCL. Cozumel is easy to get off the boat and find things to do... Last time I was there we went to Paradise Beach and had a great relaxing beach day. Also, Tulum is incredible if you get the chance. This time we found a great company where you hire a driver for the day and get to venture out and do a bit of everything. Trujillo (Honduras) is a bit of a gamble as I see it. There aren't a ton of excursions being offered so far and until the reviews from the cruises in October start coming in I don't know what to expect (it's a new port).

Have a blast, no matter what happens it's what you make of it. Oh, and keep checking prices because if your particular cabin category drops in price you may be able to get some on board credit, a refund or possibly an upgrade. We booked in April with a BX category balcony and since then we got a $350 drop in price, an upgrade to a BA and $50 in OBC!

Welcome to cruising!

You've gotten lots of advice but I don't think anyone has responded to your question about disembarkation and making sure you don't miss your flight home. This will be Norwegian's first time cruising from Pasadena but Princess used the same port last year and had issues with fog several times particularly early in their season.

Because the "Houston" port is relatively far up the shipping channel from the gulf and is somewhat narrow, when/if fog rolls in, the ship is forced to wait until it lifts. In our case that meant they weren't able to dock as scheduled from the previous cruise which in turn meant we left port much later than originally scheduled. Wasn't the end of the world for us as we got a text to not arrive until after 4pm since the ship didn't dock until sometime after 10:30 am (as I recall) BUT for those folks disembarking at noon or so who had flights scheduled for noon or so, they had a real problem.

So, if I was flying in, I would plan on arriving a day early as others have suggested in case there is an airline delay so you don't miss the ship AND I would try to fly out the day after the ship docks. If that isn't possible then I top would suggest you book as late a flight as you can.....just in case of a fog delay. If you aren't adverse to risk and want to minimize your time in Houston after the cruise, I would think if all went well, you could make an 11:30 or noon flight from Hobby. Security moves quickly there and as long as it's not a holiday time. All that said, my big concern on the return would be a fog delay. Fingers crossed that this year it won't be the issue it was last.

• 3 months later...
Firstly, we hope that you have a very happy birthday and anniversary during your cruise!!! We are not going on the same cruise date as you, but have been on the Jewel, so, if you have ship specific questions, ask away! We live in the Houston area, so again, ask away! we recommend arriving at least one day early and (if budget allows) see Kemah Boardwalk!

Do NOT buy the drink package if you don't drink more than 4 drinks, each, per day... just not worth it. If you are wine drinker, we would recommend either a "Tasting" or a wine package be booked immediately upon embarkation. Also, they do tend to have some drink specials/tastings that you might enjoy during the cruise. One thing you might like to spend your money on is the Thermal Suite pass (you can read more about this on NCL.com or CC. They do get sold-out quickly, though, as they are VERY popular! DO NOT over-pack!!! Try to "recycle" the same pants/shorts and have enough tops to make you feel comfortable. Boarding the ship can be quite variable, so just be prepared to stand in long lines exchanging stories with fellow shipmates!!!

We have done the Western Caribbean several times, so if you want more info, ask away!

Hey ggTexasGal, we're landing in Houston Thursday night and we've allocated all of Friday to go explore and eat! Do you have any suggestion or recommendations for the Houston area. Our hotel is technically in a city called La Porte, it's about a mile away from the Houston port.

Killen's in Pearland. Expect a wait but it's worth it! Brisket not too be believed....and if you like bread pudding....omg!!!

Hi, Clay. Our Jewel cruise is April 4. I will fly from Dallas on Southwest and thinking of flying in morning of cruise. Flight of 7 or 8 am. It is only an hour long. Good idea? Or bad? I want to book my air pretty soon but am waffling.

Hi, Clay. Our Jewel cruise is April 4. I will fly from Dallas on Southwest and thinking of flying in morning of cruise. Flight of 7 or 8 am. It is only an hour long. Good idea? Or bad? I want to book my air pretty soon but am waffling.

Given they have flights every hour or less, seems reasonable plan to me.....you know all the possible down side but even if Southwest had some catetrophic event, you could still drive down. Of course if you came a night earlier we could meet!

Given they have flights every hour or less, seems reasonable plan to me.....you know all the possible down side but even if Southwest had some catetrophic event, you could still drive down. Of course if you came a night earlier we could meet!

That sounds great. I will email you soon. That way I won't hijack further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas!

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

I got off Jewel on Dec. 6. I'm sorry I didn't find your thread sooner. This was my second time on Jewel. She is a wonderful ship.

We like the Azura main dining room better than Tzars. We had very good service in both locations.

We ate in Cagney's and Le Bistros and both were excellent.

The Le Cirque show is superb. Whatever you do, don't miss it. For the best view come in on six and go up or down a few rows. I've seen many of these shows on several cruise lines and this is the best. De' Je Vu also stars in this production.

Enjoy you cruise!