Verizon Wireless Coverage in Alaska

OC Gypsy

We just returned from being on the Golden Princess. Both my sister and I have Verizon plans and I also have a Verizon phone. My sister has an Iphone. We had either very poor or no service. In Skagway we tried to contact each other to meet for lunch but did not have service and in Ketchikan we did not have service. I had heard that Verizon was in Alaska but I think the service is poor.

It's weird that everyone has such mixed experiences with coverage.

We were just there a little over a week ago and had great cell coverage in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. My husband and I both have Verizon. I have an iPhone and he has an Samsung Galaxy S4. It might blip out and go to 1x for a few minutes, but 95% of the time I was at 3G or 4G.

We have been to Alaska many times with both Verizon and T-Mobile and have not been charged an extra dime. Good reception, at least in the areas we were in, which includes Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines and Anchorage.

We just returned from being on the Golden Princess. Both my sister and I have Verizon plans and I also have a Verizon phone. My sister has an Iphone. We had either very poor or no service. In Skagway we tried to contact each other to meet for lunch but did not have service and in Ketchikan we did not have service. I had heard that Verizon was in Alaska but I think the service is poor.

That is how our experience was with Iphones in July. Poor service (either 1X or 3G).

Really, really slow data that didn't go through most times. When it did, we did not get charged extra.

Totally random, at night while charging, would pick up our emails, Facebook updates and messages.

Before we left, we bought the cruise ship data plan ($25 for 100 MB) from Verizon, which their website and their customer service said should work on ship. Did not work, got credit back.