Documentation question

All,

Please, no passport lectures...

My niece is coming with us on a cruise in 13 days. She just informs me that her drivers permit address is not the same as where she currently lives., but is her last address... In Iowa, it takes up to 27 days to get your replacement...

Is this gonna be a big deal? Do I just check her in with her old address?

She is a minor (16)

Thanks

Edited by dlong1969

Unless you have booked your niece using a residency discount, the address is not important to Royal. They are looking for the name and birthdate on the identification to match that info on the booking.

Edited by clarea

so for online check in, would you use the address on her permit? so at leasst it matches?

I may be wrong, but as best I can recollect, you don't actually fill in your complete street address when checking in. I think it just asks what country you're a citizen of (and what state you live in, if you're getting a residency discount)

so for online check in, would you use the address on her permit? so at least it matches?

As I said, it does not matter, but that sounds like the logical thing to do. My guess is that Royal doesn't care about the address (except for marketing purposes), they just forward that info to the government as part of the passenger manifest.

Edited by clarea

You should use her actual current address (if asked) on online check in. The ship's manifest has to have the correct information. But as others have said, the agent checking you in at the pier will not even look at the address on her license, as passport holders aren't showing their address to the agent and there's no address printed on the setsail pass to compare it against in the first place.

Thanks Bob...

The online check-in DOES ask for street address.

I will put in the address on her documentation. Heck, her parents move so much, her current address might not be valid in a couple weeks... how would DHS or RC be able to keep up?

LOL

Thanks for entertaining the question. Last minute jitters, trying to make sure everything is in order. Never took a not-mine kid out of the country before and I don't want to be standing at the pier waving goodbye to the ship.

I finally DID get ahold of C&A (way after YOU guys answered... of course) and they agreed with you. Doesn't matter as long as the face and birthdate matches the person and the birth certificate.

Thanks Bob...

The online check-in DOES ask for street address.

I will put in the address on her documentation. Heck, her parents move so much, her current address might not be valid in a couple weeks... how would DHS or RC be able to keep up?

LOL

Thanks for entertaining the question. Last minute jitters, trying to make sure everything is in order. Never took a not-mine kid out of the country before and I don't want to be standing at the pier waving goodbye to the ship.

I finally DID get ahold of C&A (way after YOU guys answered... of course) and they agreed with you. Doesn't matter as long as the face and birthdate matches the person and the birth certificate.

If your niece is a minor, you should also have the notarized letter from the parents granting you permission to take her out of the county and make medical decisions on her behalf.

Edited by clarea

I may be wrong, but as best I can recollect, you don't actually fill in your complete street address when checking in. I think it just asks what country you're a citizen of (and what state you live in, if you're getting a residency discount)

When doing on-line check-in on Page 2 of Guest Information it asks for your name, address, city, state, postal code, country and both daytime and night time phone numbers. These are "required" fields that must be filled in.

Edited by cruisenfever

If your niece is a minor, you should also have the notarized letter from the parents granting you permission to take her out of the county and make medical decisions on her behalf.

Yeah, I got all that stuff, notarized, etc.... and I asked her for her permit so I could get a photocopy of it to keep as a secondary.... but it didn't even dawn on my to check her address on her permit...

I just checked with Iowa DOT to see if we could expedite the process to get the plastic... and they said no, that Iowa doesn't even print the cards anymore, that they are outsourced.

They issue a paper license to you while you wait to get the plastic one in the mail. I don't know if I would want to take/trust that at the pier.

When doing on-line check-in on Page 2 of Guest Information it asks for your name, address, city, state, postal code, country and both daytime and night time phone numbers. These are "required" fields that must be filled in.

Ok, I honestly did not remember that. I guess I have done so many online check ins for cruises that I can practically do them in my sleep and don't give it a lot of attention. :D

So I am going through my documentation today, making sure I have everything in order, and getting ready to complete the online check in.

If you recall, the original question of this thread was concerning the fact that my neice's address on her drivers permit was an old address. I got good responses and confirmation from RC that this didn't matter...

Today I am looking at the permission to travel document (notarized) that I got from her parents... and of course, they put their CURRENT address on the document... so now the document on her permit and on the document is not going to match.

I am gonna call RC about it.... but I want to know if anyone has any insights on this.

This is quickly breaking me of taking kids other than my own out of the country, let me tell you...

Thanks in advance

Don