How to keep cool in Key West?

cawhite

Hi everyone,

We (family of 4... kids are 14 and 10) will be in Key West a week from tomorrow (Sun.) from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on the Empress of the Seas. We are not at all accustomed to the heat / humidity of S. Florida in the summer. We booked this cruise because, after taking our 1st cruise this past Spring Break, we could not wait another whole year to cruise again! What do you recommend we do to enjoy Key West and stay *relatively* cool (yes, we're going to bring spray water bottles and/or misty mates).

We were thinking of parasailing but DS doesn't seem to meet the age or weight requirements (it seems you have to be 12 y.o. or 90 lbs.). We weren't planning on diving / snorkeling in KW as we'll be doing that on Grand Cayman, but will leave that open as an option if that's the best way to keep cool. We have never been to Key West so we do want to take in the local sights as well. Any recommendations? How hot is it on the Conch train this time of year?

Thanks for your help!!

It was hot as blue blazes the days we were in KW last summer. We ended up doing the trolley ride, and managed to keep cool. We wanted to get out and explore the town, but walking was just going to be too much for us (in the heat). The nice thing about the trolley is that we were able to get on and off and do this. We also had the windows open, which helped.

The conch train is more open than the trolley, but it doesn't stop and let you off and on. If you don't want to get off, I'd probably do the conch train. It only has a roof.... :)

An advanatge of the conch train is that it is open air, so when it is moving, you get a nice breeze. There is one important caveat. One very hot afternoon Hubby and I rode it and had to sit in the very last row. I must admit I became quite nauseated from the heat and the swaying of the vehicle. That said, I have never experienced discomfort sitting closer to the front.

A couple different air conditioned attractions are the Ship Wreck Historeum, the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum (which features treasure taken from the wreck of La Atocha Spanish galleon), the tour of the Harry Truman White House ( for history buffs). If I recall correctly, the Hemingway House isn't air conditioned, but I haven't done that attraction in a few years and don't remember for sure.

Other attractions can be quite hot, even the Butterfly and Nature Conservatory. It is quite shady, though. Your kids might really enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory. There is also a galss bottom boat tour your kids might enjoy that tours the harbour and coral reef.

August has got to be one of the hottest, most humid months in Key West.

Most stores are air conditioned. When in Key West, I stay cool by ducking in and out of stores and galleries.

I hope you and your family have lots of fun in Key West.

Thanks HeavySurf for the tips on places with A/C. Can you get to all of these places from the trolley (I think I read the Conch train doesn't let you get off and on)? Are there any good places to eat lunch near the places you mention?

And Kal... Steamy, hot, and muggy is what I'm afraid of.... yikes!!:eek:

Are there any good places to eat lunch near the places you mention?

:eek:

Duval is pretty much lined with eateries on both sides of the street, along with bars, T-shirt shops and galleries. You may be surprised to discover that many of Duval's restaurants and even those on other streets have outdoor tables!!! I never understood it myself. I've been so hot in Key West, I would have killed for air conditioning. Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffet's restaurant on Duval does have air conditioning.

Mangos, a restaurant on Duval does have a kind of mist they blow on you while you eat. Maybe some of the others do too. There are so many restaurants, I have never been able to try them all.

If you would like to try Cuban cuisine, El Meson de Pepe is air conditioned and is located near the docks. At night they have a fabulous salsa band, which is usually outside the restaurant at the outside bar. Go figure. Some folks LOVE the heat.

Other restaurants are by the historic fishing and charter boat docks. They are fan cooled and sea breeze cooled, if that is enough, but the atmosphere is really interesting. You really get a feel for Key West, more than at a more "canned" restaurant.

Over by the cruise ship docks, the Hilton has both inside and outside seating. The inside seating is air conditioned, but the view outside is very pleasant.

Thanks HeavySurf for the tips on places with A/C. Can you get to all of these places from the trolley (I think I read the Conch train doesn't let you get off and on)? Are there any good places to eat lunch near the places you mention?

And Kal... Steamy, hot, and muggy is what I'm afraid of.... yikes!!:eek:

The conch train does not let you off and on. The trolley makes 10 or so stops at which time you can exit and reboard later (I think the trolleys run every 20 minutes or so until 4:00-maybe 4:30). This time of year it's very, very humid in KW.

Here's the Old Town Trolley site. You can see where their stops are. We found that they stopped near (or really close to) everything we wanted to see and all the restaurants. There's a ton of restaurants on Duval. We ate at Sloppy Joes, Hard Rock, and Margaritaville (and others, I just can't recall the names)

http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp?SID=15&Product_ID=13

Thanks twinkletoes and HeavySurf!!

Wow, the restaurant that sprays out mist... now that sounds good!

Thanks for the link to the trolley as well!! The trolley company is the same company we have here in San Diego.

Key West is going to be an experience if you're not used to ~90 degrees with 90% or higher humidity. Your misty mate is probably not going to do much besides make you wetter. A bandanna or gel necktie soaked in ice water can help. On the good side, Key West normally has a breeze.

The best advice I can offer is to stay out of the sun. There is nothing more miserable than a sunburn. Lots of cold water and Gatorade/Powerade will also help keep you cool, and cotton clothes are a must.

Have a great time!

Wendy

A gel neck tie is a cloth that is filled with a gel that when soaked in water or cooled in the fridge will stay cool for a long time. You tie it around your neck in the heat and it is supposed to keep you cool. The caveat is that one magazine I read tested this product on several people and most were not satisfied that it helped keep them cool, but instead was just a heavy, soggy weight around their necks. I cannot vouch for the product one way or another, however. You may find that you really like the product.

Another thing you migt try is any shirt or shorts made of the fabric Cool Max. It is a "tech" fabric developed for athletes and wicks away moisture. It is used in bras, socks, T-shirts, camp shirts, etc and has several different textures. It is very light weight and dries rapidly.

The trouble with cotton is that once it is damp, it no longer wicks away moisture, so your body cannot cool itself by evaporating away sweat. Land's End and LL Bean both make Cool Max clothing, but it is getting late to buy it as both of these companies are already showing winter clothing in their catalogs. Sporting goods stores also have shirts and exercise clothes in this product. It may go by other names, too, anything that indicates that the fabric is fast-drying and "cool."

This fabric is wonderful in South Florida and the Caribbean. My husband and I like the shirts because they dry rapidly, so we wash them out in the bathroom sink and they dry in a couple hours hanging in our room.

Regardless of the fabric you do wear, lighter colors are definitely cooler in Key West. The sun just seems to beat down especially hard on black,navy, dark green, or chocolate brown.

Thanks HeavySurf!

So where is the best place to get clothing w/ the CoolMax fabric?

We have tons of Sporting Goods / Running stores, etc. here in CA, so I guess that's where I'll start. I only have a couple of days to shop (will have to do it during lunch or after work). Looks like REI has some tank tops with this fabric (I see some on their website anyway). I did a search on the Target and Walmart websites and didn't come up with anything.

It would be nice if I found a place that has adults and kids CoolMax tank tops.

Thanks HeavySurf!

So where is the best place to get clothing w/ the CoolMax fabric?

It would be nice if I found a place that has adults and kids CoolMax tank tops.

Cool Max and tech fabrics are not often sold at stroes such as Target and Wal-Mart because they do tend to run higher in price. The best bet would be stores such as REI that you mentioned, Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Sports Authority and other stores that cater to runners and hikers. Such stores might even have a limited selection for children.

By the way, as you are visiting the Caribbean, these fabrics will be comfortable anywhere in the tropics.

If push comes to shove and you can't find Cool Max or related fabrics, stick with light colors and the lightest fabrics you can find.

• 3 weeks later...

So much of this is relative, we live in Texas where 100* plus is normal for weeks on end. We go to Florida to obtain cooler weather!

Regardless of where it's hot the health suggestions are always the same, wear cool light fabrics, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and you need to start this two days BEFORE you are going to be in the heat. By the time you're thirsty you're already dehydrated and it's too late.

Lay off the alcohol. It's the quickest way to dehydrate yourself followed by caffeine so watch your tea, coffee and cokes.

Use an umbrella in the sun or be sure to wear a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses. The cool neck bands and misters and personal fans all help but don't be fooled, people have gone down with heat stroke using misters. Keeping cool comes from the inside out, not the otherway around.

Water water water, which is much better than gatorade, take frequent breaks and get yourself out of the sun, especially if you're not use to the sun and the temperatures.

Archived