Considering Crown Princess, concerned about "smaller" ship

Meanee

Hello everyone.

We are looking for a December cruise, and thinking about taking the Crown Princess down to Mexico from LA. But I have few concerns.

Here's the thing, all our past cruises were on large ships. Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Royal Princess, NCL Epic, and tiniest (and crappiest of them all) Carnival Dream.

My concern is that there may not be enough things to do on the ship. I had pretty bad experience with Carnival Dream as well, with weird restaurant and buffet schedules, tiniest pools known to man, and so on. I enjoyed Oasis and Allure a lot, because even with a horde of people on it, ship never felt crowded. But I did love the level of service on Royal Princess, and loved the ship too.

So, are there any "mega-ship" fans who went on Crown Princess (or comparable) and enjoyed it?

Hello everyone.

We are looking for a December cruise, and thinking about taking the Crown Princess down to Mexico from LA. But I have few concerns.

Here's the thing, all our past cruises were on large ships. Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Royal Princess, NCL Epic, and tiniest (and crappiest of them all) Carnival Dream.

My concern is that there may not be enough things to do on the ship. I had pretty bad experience with Carnival Dream as well, with weird restaurant and buffet schedules, tiniest pools known to man, and so on. I enjoyed Oasis and Allure a lot, because even with a horde of people on it, ship never felt crowded. But I did love the level of service on Royal Princess, and loved the ship too.

So, are there any "mega-ship" fans who went on Crown Princess (or comparable) and enjoyed it?

The Crown isn't exactly what you would call small, she carries over 3,000 passengers. Are you thinking of the Pacific and Ocean ships?? they are small with about 700 passengers. The Crown has all the features of of the Royal Princess, fom the Princess Theatre to the Explorers Lounge and everything in between. I sailed on her last year and really enjoyed it.

I spent 2 weeks on the Crown last winter and had no trouble finding things to do.

Keep in mind that Princess is not a circus ship where there are wild things going on all the time.

We never felt crowded on the ship. Obviously, some venues are busier than others, but there was never a problem.

Dining is pretty well set with lots of time to find plenty to eat. We found the shows good and the places to relax great.

Enjoy!

I spent 2 weeks on the Crown last winter and had no trouble finding things to do.

Keep in mind that Princess is not a circus ship where there are wild things going on all the time.

We never felt crowded on the ship. Obviously, some venues are busier than others, but there was never a problem.

Dining is pretty well set with lots of time to find plenty to eat. We found the shows good and the places to relax great.

Enjoy!

I understand and appreciate that. Didn't like Carnival. Loved Royal Princess. It had a feeling of upscale cruise, and that's what I enjoyed.

Correct. Since I am not aware of "old" Royal. We took a trip on Royal Princess last December out of FLL

Actually there were 3. I don't assume anything around here.

How do you rate the Royal then to the ships you mention?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Actually there were 3. I don't assume anything around here.

How do you rate the Royal then to the ships you mention?

I loved Royal. It had certain character, and felt that I was taken care on it much better than other ships. Pools were deep and empty. Food was top notch. Entertainment was great. I can post more after I get out of office.

It is one of ships that I will not hesitate to sail again.

Hello everyone.

I thought the Crown was huge! People going and coming. Maybe the spaces aren't adequate for so many people. I'm not sure why it felt so crowded but the elevators are very slow, the International Café never had seating available on sea days and walking past Explorer's to go anywhere was always a traffic jam, not to speak of the area where the photo's are displayed.....forget about it.

You have to get to every venue EARLY. If not, there will be no seating.

I liked my journey onboard the Crown mostly because of the service and our Mini-Suite on Emerald Deck, aft. We got the covenant last cabin, with the wrap-around balcony and spent a lot of time just enjoying it.

The Crown has a very "full" feeling while onboard! She's well groomed. Some of our crew in April were "tired" and showed it. We never judge an entire ship by a few cranky crew members or passengers, they're just humans and maybe they're not feeling well or had a bad day!

We had a really bad steak in the MDR......and, didn't hold the one bad meal against the chef either!!!!

:rolleyes:

I've been on the RP, KP, and most other Princess ships. There are pluses and minus to each. There'll be plenty to do on the KP although the activities won't be the same or as active on Royal Caribbean.

The KP doesn't have the huge buffet of the RP but it has more and bigger pools. It has the Adagio Lounge that I love for a quiet place to go during the day and at night, it's a piano bar. The KP has Skywalkers which is a night club at night.

I have a great time on whichever ship I'm on. Some are better than others but that doesn't mean I'll never cruise on them again. It's like going to a restaurant: they don't all have the same menu but you can always find something you like on the menu. :)

We sailed the Royal once and have done the Ruby and Crown a few times (they are identical). Aside from the Centre (piazza) and the Horizon Buffet, I found the Royal very much like the Crown and Ruby. In any event, I pick the Crown and Ruby over the Royal. I really do not think size matters when it comes to these classes of ship. It is about crew and ambiance.