verification

gremlinbangles

This seems to be one case where booking direct blew up. Many think that booking direct rather than with a travel agent prevents various types of problems.

If this booking had been through a TA, Princess would not have been able to cancel and rebook without involving the TA. Obviously the TA would have sensed trouble and communicated with the OP.

This is not meant to drift toward a TA discussion, but it is worth noting that booking direct is not the cure-all that some think.

I agree that the OP needs to escalate this issue way beyond some CSM on the phone. There was another thread recently about a very similar issue.

And at least with a TA booking they verify the CLIA, IATA or TRUE number of the TA before doing anything to a booking, which is info that only the agency and its agents have. It does not appear anywhere on the confirmation. Definitely protects you from someone fooling with your booking without your knowledge.

Edited by DebJ14

And at least with a TA booking they verify the CLIA, IATA or TRUE number of the TA before doing anything to a booking, which is info that only the agency and its agents have. It does not appear anywhere on the confirmation. Definitely protects you from someone fooling with your booking without your knowledge.

That's completely untrue. The only time they need a TA to verify that information is if the TA wants a confirmation sent someplace other than the default for the agency.

Someone impersonating your TA would have to have your booking number and last name, along with the agent's phone number, but they wouldn't have to know the agency CLIA etc. number.

But, this was a case where a family member called and wanted to aggregate other family members into a group and re-book. I'm thinking Princess would have needed some sort of call from all concerned to agree with this move.

That is true. When our friends in other city booked the same cruise separately, I had to make a request to sit with them, and they had to make a request to sit with us. When Princess matched both requests, she put us on the same dinner table.

Several weeks ago, I made a phone call from my home. When Princess answered the call, she knew most of my information, such as my Captain Circle number, elite status, number of outstanding bookings, etc. She did not tell me how much she knew. She only told me that my home phone number triggered the information. That could be two-sided sword. On one side, she needs not ask too many questions to verify this is ME. On the other side, the information she knew, such as address and date of birth, might bother others. However, if she really wants to know, she can just ask. And I have to tell her anyway.

I won't let anyone that we don't trust live in our house. But if I share the house, that might be a potential problem.