Camera Advice Needed (<$500)

I have basically no camera knowledge, so I'm in need of advice from experts :)

We travel a lot and I love to take pictures of scenery, my family (including a toddler), and interior spaces on cruise ships/ hotels / museums.

My budget is $500 or less. Here is my "wish list" for the camera:

Takes high quality pictures of moving objects

Can take multiple pictures quickly, I don't want a long wait between pictures. (Toddlers move quick!)

Rechargeable battery (I hate lugging disposable batteries around with me).

A nice zoom (mega zoom not necessary)

Ability to have an auto mode as well as manual (eventually I'd like to educate my self on how to take cool shots manually, one day!) if this one isn't possible in my price range I understand.

Feel free to educate me on specific cameras, their features, and anything else I need to know. I am uneducated but willing to learn. I want to make this purchase soon as we're doing a fall foliage cruise in about one month.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by smileyperry

I have two choices for you... The Canon SX50IS and the Nikon Coolpix 520/530/600. When I was looking to replace my Canon SX1IS these were my top two replacement choices (only the Nikon 520 was available then). My choice was the Canon. It has a 50x optical zoom lens built in as well as a fisheye. It has continuous capability a little better than 2 frames/second but also a burst mode of 10 images either at 13/second or 4/second (if using auto-focus). Has a very high ISO of 6400 which does great in low-light. It is also fast to startup, has a good response time to snaps, and rechargeable battery. You can pick up a spare on ebay for < $10. Only deficiency is the lower f-stop is rather high. But for doing what you want, this is a great camera.

My suggestion would be to look around and try out cameras. Go to Best Buy or something similar. I actually tested both the Nikon and Canon at a Target and brought my own SD card so I could play with the camera and then check the results at home.

Wow! Those are the two I played with last night at Best Buy. Well Canon PowerShot SX 50 HS) I wasn't sure if they were any good, but based on what you said I guess those are the best two for what I want.

Thanks, it helped me out. I thought I would be on a long hunt for something that fits my needs.

Any advice on the best/sturdiest strap to wear it around my neck??

Edited by smileyperry

Perry, nice that you were able to try it out. I've had mine since Jan 2013 and have taken well over 15K pictures with it so far. Plus, I know of at least 5 others who have purchased it (from my recommendation) and love it just as much.

The strap that comes with it is plenty sturdy as it is a strap similar to the DSLRs, not a tiny thin one.

I've taken everything from burst shots (my grandkids being thrown in the air in the pool) to slow-motion ones of water flowing.

If you want, I can give you my email when you have questions.

Steve

With Best Buy, you can buy online and pick up at the store. Doing this allows you to price match with some online vendors like Amazon and Buy.com. There is a list of vendors on the Best Buy website. You will most likely find it cheaper and can still get it that day.

This is what I did and saved $50, buying it through Best Buy online and store pickup. Just make sure the store you select has them in stock. You will have it in about 2 hours after the order.

Order it through Prime and get it quicker... :)

You will probably want to go to ebay and order a backup battery. It is nice to have and the charger gets them charged in about an hour.

my email is snc_cam at hotmail dot com

great... you will love the camera...

here are some of the first shots I did with it. It was from the Freedom Feb 2013. The zoomed in shot is at max zoom (50x not including digital).

I see it shows them as thumbnails. The second image is actually the white specs in the background in the center just at the horizon.

I tried to cut/paste the pics here but it didn't work. Go ahead and download them and you can see the capability of the zoom

aIMG_0095.jpg.1a0af8b303a5b7f02e7441d6c4b56f58.jpg

aIMG_0094.jpg.fcd7340c2dcf7c532bcdc063e75cfefb.jpg

Edited by snc_cam

Lone, I did a "snapsort dot com" compare of the Lumix vs the Canon. The lumix is short in some areas I think are important, (i.e., ISO range, zoom, and burst). Plus I guess I am a bit of a snob but I went away from the "name" cameras about 10 years ago and learned a valuable lesson. I have since then only looked at the major camera companies, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus. You pay a little more but I found it to be worth it. I actually had a Canon 2IS camera for 7.5 years before I upgraded 18 months ago when my niece wanted (and still uses) my 2IS.

snapsort is a great website that allows for quick/easy camera comparisons for specifications.

great... you will love the camera...

here are some of the first shots I did with it. It was from the Freedom Feb 2013. The zoomed in shot is at max zoom (50x not including digital).

I see it shows them as thumbnails. The second image is actually the white specs in the background in the center just at the horizon.

I tried to cut/paste the pics here but it didn't work. Go ahead and download them and you can see the capability of the zoom

I'm going to show those to my husband, he'll be impressed with it!

What did you mean "50x not including digital"?

There is a 4x digital zoom capability beyond the 50x optical zoom. So, in all actuality, you can make it a 200x zoom camera going from a low-end of 24mm up to 4800mm as is done with DSLRs. But when you get into the digital zoom end, it will cause some distortion of the picture. I try to keep in the optical zoom range so there is no or very-minimal distortion of the picture.

And answering "lone's" other comment, both the Nikon and Canon have a video capability and factor in the zoom lens, it makes it pretty handy. :)

Many good cameras out there. I bought Panasonic FZ200 a few months ago. Selling points were viewfinder in addition to lcd, f2.8 lens at full telephoto, external flash mount. I use viewfinder 100% of time. Menu system may be a bit confusing. All in all good dependable camera with excellent quality photos. Also have a n Olympus Tg 2 which is compact and waterproof.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Rob, I agree with you about a viewfinder. I just chuckle when I see people hold their cameras at arms length to take a picture. Viewfinder is a definite requirement for me. It's nice that you have a f2.8; one of the few things that the SX50 is not as good. The SX50 also has the hot-shoe for the external flash; haven't hooked one up on it yet... Just extra weight :). And I'm looking at a waterproof camera, either the Olympus or a Pentax.

Steve

Further to iso range......... Photos at iso 6400 are very grainy...... Almost unusable. Also as to super zooms my 24x is very user friendly. With the 60x may need a tripod.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Lone, I did a "snapsort dot com" compare of the Lumix vs the Canon. The lumix is short in some areas I think are important, (i.e., ISO range, zoom, and burst). Plus I guess I am a bit of a snob but I went away from the "name" cameras about 10 years ago and learned a valuable lesson. I have since then only looked at the major camera companies, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus. You pay a little more but I found it to be worth it. I actually had a Canon 2IS camera for 7.5 years before I upgraded 18 months ago when my niece wanted (and still uses) my 2IS.

snapsort is a great website that allows for quick/easy camera comparisons for specifications.

I tried to do a comparison of the Lumix vs the Canon Powershot SX50 IS on snapsort, but it wasn't one of the Canon cameras listed. I then tried the SX50 HS and there was a major difference. For the IP's criteria, the Canon would be the one of choice.

I want to thank you for pointing out the snapsort website. I purchased the Lumix because it had features I wanted that were lacking in many of the compact cameras: light weight (half that of the Canon), size (small enough to fit in my pocket), Leica lens, and panorama capability.

Whether you are a snob or just careful is a matter of opinion. Over the years I have used many cameras from Kodaks to Olympus, Canon and Nikon. I have found that more often than not it is the photographer not the equipment that is responsible for great pictures.

Same here.....I'm a Canon snob. My Canon DSLR is amazing. I also have a little "rugged" Olympus point-and-shoot.

Could be a useful website, if they would at least consult the manufacturers' spec sheets before listing the specifications of the cameras. A lot of the Lumix specifications are incorrect. The Lumix FZ40 has GPS, is much smaller than they say (actual depth is 1.35" not 3.6", weight is 240g not 499g), panorama mode, burst shooting up to 60fps, 3D photos and HDR are part of the camera's abilities. There are just too many errors to continue. They offer the user the option of offering corrections and I did so. I don't know whether they will pay any attention, but I would gauge their comparisons with a grain of salt in future, if I were you. At least look at the manufacturer's spec sheet before making a decision based on their information.

Just to reassure all of the Nikon, Canon, etc. fans, I am not putting down your camera choices. The Lumix is a new camera for me. I am taking it on a Panama Canal cruise because I don't want to have to drag my Canon SLR or my Nikon D5100 DSLR with its lenses through trials of tendering ashore and the heat and humidity and all the other adventures one goes through when on a cruise. My Olympus while compact did not have all of the capabilities that I wanted for this trip. It did quite well at the Alhambra in Spain and the medina in Tangiers, but I wanted a camera that would do most of what my DSLR would do without the weight. When I found that some pro photographers have found the camera to be a good choice for the same application, I decided to go for it. So take pot shots and whatever. If I remember and the thread is still active, I will let you know how it all worked out when I get back in October.

I have two choices for you... The Canon SX50IS and the Nikon Coolpix 520/530/600. When I was looking to replace my Canon SX1IS these were my top two replacement choices (only the Nikon 520 was available then). My choice was the Canon. It has a 50x optical zoom lens built in as well as a fisheye. It has continuous capability a little better than 2 frames/second but also a burst mode of 10 images either at 13/second or 4/second (if using auto-focus). Has a very high ISO of 6400 which does great in low-light. It is also fast to startup, has a good response time to snaps, and rechargeable battery. You can pick up a spare on ebay for < $10. Only deficiency is the lower f-stop is rather high. But for doing what you want, this is a great camera.

My suggestion would be to look around and try out cameras. Go to Best Buy or something similar. I actually tested both the Nikon and Canon at a Target and brought my own SD card so I could play with the camera and then check the results at home.

I'd pull the trigger on either of these, but love the Canon, just because I've been using Canon gear as a pro and an amateur for nearly 50 years now. A big plus for me is external flash, maximum aperture is a bit slow but such a big lens what do you expect.

I am not familiar with the two cameras that you mention. Perhaps you could compare them with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 which seems to have the same features you mention plus video, but minus fisheye and only 30x optical zoom.

Nothing wrong with the Lumix save not great quality in low light and I can't use my external flash.

Nothing wrong with the Lumix save not great quality in low light and I can't use my external flash.

With respect to the external flash: are you referring to the power (lumens) of the built-in flash relative to your external flash, foregoing the various orientations available with an external flash or the use of it off camera or all of the preceding that is disappointing?

Edited by lone_stranger

With respect to the external flash: are you referring to the power (lumens) of the built-in flash relative to your external flash, foregoing the various orientations available with an external flash or the use of it off camera or all of the preceding that is disappointing?

All the above, plus the fact that my gear is all Canon. I can overcome to a degree by using a slave but one more thing to carry which defeats purpose of getting something smaller.