Interior Stateroom vs Stateroom w/ Verandah

DoomsdayFAN

Our party had both on the Magic last week and to be honest the only time we used the verandah was after 10.30pm and the baby was asleep in Travel Cot/Pack and Play and we could relax with a glass of wine. So fir us it was useful as an extra room but if our kids were older or we were sailing without them an Inside room would gave been fine. I actually slept better inside in total darkness than I did in the verandah room. If you need a quiet outdoor space Deck 4 is perfect.

You did NOT use your verandah properly....read my post above and read my thread on balconies..you may use it better next time...

Big Al

You did NOT use your verandah properly....read my post above and read my thread on balconies..you may use it better next time...

Big Al

Thats a great read, loads of tips, and I respect your opinion.

But each person and family will get an experience and the value they place on that is up to each and every individual or family.

We can only offer an opinion, then it is up to the person or family to make their opinion once they have experienced it.

ex techie

Thats a great read, loads of tips, and I respect your opinion.

But each person and family will get an experience and the value they place on that is up to each and every individual or family.

We can only offer an opinion, then it is up to the person or family to make their opinion once they have experienced it.

ex techie

Of course it is up to each individual or family to make their decision..I am simply pointing out the wonders of the balcony cabin vs. the broom closet/dark mole-like inside cabin...my friends just got off the Freedom Of The Seas ..I put them in a balcony after NINE consecutive cruises in inside cabins...he called me as he was driving back and RAVED about the difference..."what a completely different experience it was on our verandah!!" or "why didn't you tell me how much I missed in a balcony vs an inside??" "I tried many times" I said to him..."was I that cheap & hard- headed?"..."Yes, you were"..I told him....he actually printed out my guide & took it with him & did all the things I suggested...his favorites were breakfast on a sea day on the balcony , sitting out there late in the afternoon after coming back from the pool deck or a port of call, and checking out the moonlight, stars & waves before bed..."it's hard to believe anyone would prefer an inside cabin to a balcony if they can afford it" he commented before he hung up..."yes", I said.."some people can't afford it or they are just stubborn or don't listen to others who try & encourage them to try a wonderous experience..know anybody like that?" I asked..."wise guy"..he said,LOL...I think I 've made another convert..Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

We've had both. multiple times...and gone back and forth between them. So we aren't a "had a balcony once, can't stand the thought of being inside."

Look at the ship, the length of cruise, where you'll be cruising, and the cost difference...then decide.

2 people on a short cruise on the Dream....inside can be more than OK. You have the virtual porthole, 2 people don't need a ton of space, etc.

4 people on a 14 day trans-Atlantic....might be a different situation, especially if the price difference works for you.

The one time that I consider a balcony almost essential is when you have an infant or toddler who naps. Mom can hang out on the balcony--still nearby but each having their own space. Connecting cabins could accomplish the same thing if family size warrants.

Again, book a cabin where you will be comfortable. And decide whether you'd rather have the balcony or the money toward the next cruise.

Calling inside cabins mole holes or broom closets may express the writer's viewpoint and may even reflect the experience on lines other than DCL, but doesn't fairly describe a DISNEY inside cabin. A cat 10 or 11 A/B is the same size as a balcony cabin but without the balcony. An 11C (the former cat 12s) are 13 cabins on the Magic and Wonder without the split bath and with a slightly smaller entry way--again, works for 2, not for a large group. They are well lighted. They simply don't have outside exposure. For that, you have to leave your cabin and go to decks 4, 9, 10, etc. It iS a different experience, but an inside is not a horrible thing.

Thanks again everyone for more input, and thanks Big Al for linking me to you cabin review. It's very nice.

Right now I'm looking into 7 day Caribbean cruises, most of which only have like 2 sea days. But for the price difference (about $400 so far) it seems like it would be worth it. Like was said.... YOLO. The only way I would outright NOT consider a verandah room is if the price jumped to like $800+ for the upgrade. That may be a little too much for my taste.

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

Thanks again everyone for more input, and thanks Big Al for linking me to you cabin review. It's very nice.

Right now I'm looking into 7 day Caribbean cruises, most of which only have like 2 sea days. But for the price difference (about $400 so far) it seems like it would be worth it. Like was said.... YOLO. The only way I would outright NOT consider a verandah room is if the price jumped to like $800+ for the upgrade. That may be a little too much for my taste.

FYI ..first, good choice! 2nd, there are 3 basic cabin sizes on the Fantasy: Cat 6 are 204 SF, Cat 5 's are 249 SF & Cat 4's are 299 SF..I took a Cat 5, then got a chance to upgrade to Cat 4 for only $39 pp for the 4 nighter..I thought it was worth it..great cabins...remember to make sure cabins are above & below you if you want to minimize noise...any questions on Disney let us know...have a "magical" cruise!!

Big Al

Big Al

Sorry if we've broken you're Verandah Laws Big Al! Entirely understand your points in the thread but would respectfully point out that everyone has different priorities and expectations from all facets of their cruise experience including how they use their verandah and we wouldn't change how we used it this week and will get one or not according to our futures needs as we see fit.

FYI ..first, good choice! 2nd, there are 3 basic cabin sizes on the Fantasy: Cat 6 are 204 SF, Cat 5 's are 249 SF & Cat 4's are 299 SF..I took a Cat 5, then got a chance to upgrade to Cat 4 for only $39 pp for the 4 nighter..I thought it was worth it..great cabins...remember to make sure cabins are above & below you if you want to minimize noise...any questions on Disney let us know...have a "magical" cruise!!

Big Al

As far as picking my exact location, I believe the more desirable ones are even more expensive. Like up to $1000+ more than a basic inside room. The most basic upgrade (to an unobstruced verandah room) is only about $400 more as of yet, but they all appear to be right in the rear of the ship. Looks like 246 sq. ft Catagory 06B, Decks 5, 6, 7. (Not sure what any of this means)

But for only $400 more to be able to get a full verandah, I can live with a few less sq. ft. (Not sure how the rear of the ship is though, or how any of that other info affects the experience in general)

Otherwise, can you tell me in a direct comparison between the Disney Fantasy and Oasis/Allure of the Seas, ship-wise, what you prefered? (This includes, staff, free food options, things to see/do, etc) And also DCL vs RC in general? (For Caribbean Cruises) - Their itineraries look to both be appealing, so that isn't a huge concern for me at this point.

You can reply here if you'd like: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094690

Otherwise, I may repost that thread to this Disney Cruise forum in the future.

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

When booking, I always think about those people that had inside cabins when the Carnival Triumph was stranded; and I book a verandah. For me, it is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was in an inside room on the Carnival Splendor when the engine caught fire. I have booked an inside room on the Disney cruise.

I love the idea of a virtual porthole.

That being said, if Disney didn't have the virtual porthole I too would take a verandah. :D

I was in an inside room on the Carnival Splendor when the engine caught fire. I have booked an inside room on the Disney cruise.

I love the idea of a virtual porthole.

That being said, if Disney didn't have the virtual porthole I too would take a verandah. :D

Inside or balcony, deck 1 or deck 12.

Know your escape route!

Not only from the Stateroom, but when you are exploring the ship, know how to get to your Assembly Station.

ex techie

Inside or balcony, deck 1 or deck 12.

Know your escape route!

Not only from the Stateroom, but when you are exploring the ship, know how to get to your Assembly Station.

ex techie

Are there directions or will they go through a drill to show you where the nearest life boats are? Are the life jackets easy to find?

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

Are there directions or will they go through a drill to show you where the nearest life boats are? Are the life jackets easy to find?

On the back of your Stateroom door there are directions as which way to go.

You are assigned a specific lifeboat, and so a numbered lifeboat.

They are Assembly Stations. Some are on deck, some are in lounges or restaurants near the deck.

Life jackets are in your Stateroom and I would suggest that everyone in you family/group try them on to make sure they fit and are of appropriate size.

(small child ones vs. adult ones)

There is a 100% redundancy of additional life jackets located around the lifeboat disembarkation deck. Deck 4.

If I were in a Stateroom in the middle of the night, I would bring mine and others with them.

Put your arm through the hole and wear it over your shoulder until you reach deck 4. Only then put it on IMO.

ex techie

As far as picking my exact location, I believe the more desirable ones are even more expensive. Like up to $1000+ more than a basic inside room. The most basic upgrade (to an unobstruced verandah room) is only about $400 more as of yet, but they all appear to be right in the rear of the ship. Looks like 246 sq. ft Catagory 06B, Decks 5, 6, 7. (Not sure what any of this means)

But for only $400 more to be able to get a full verandah, I can live with a few less sq. ft. (Not sure how the rear of the ship is though, or how any of that other info affects the experience in general)

Otherwise, can you tell me in a direct comparison between the Disney Fantasy and Oasis/Allure of the Seas, ship-wise, what you prefered? (This includes, staff, free food options, things to see/do, etc) And also DCL vs RC in general? (For Caribbean Cruises) - Their itineraries look to both be appealing, so that isn't a huge concern for me at this point.

You can reply here if you'd like: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094690

6B is on deck 6 forward..those are fine...I will give you my thoughts on RCI big vs. Fantasy on the thread you requested...

Big Al

BTW, I DID put my opinion on your Allure vs. Fantasy thread..I disagree a lot with what some say..the food ( very subjective) on Disney in the MDR we thought was much better than RCI..buffet MUCH better..diving shows in Aquatheater fantastic on RCI & ice-skating shows, too...musical production shows on Disney KILLER, Pirate show & fireworks also great & private island Castaway Cay CANNOT be beaten!! Go read my post...you really can't go wrong with either ship, but they ARE different..LOVE rotation dining on Disney!!

Big Al

I've done insides, oceanviews, and balconies, and I like each one for different reasons. I sleep better in an inside - hands down. The oceanview with the window is cool and has more room. The balcony is great if you want to look at the ocean, etc. Go with whatever you can afford. You're going to have a great time regardless of the cabin. Have fun!

BTW, I DID put my opinion on your Allure vs. Fantasy thread..I disagree a lot with what some say..the food ( very subjective) on Disney in the MDR we thought was much better than RCI..buffet MUCH better..diving shows in Aquatheater fantastic on RCI & ice-skating shows, too...musical production shows on Disney KILLER, Pirate show & fireworks also great & private island Castaway Cay CANNOT be beaten!! Go read my post...you really can't go wrong with either ship, but they ARE different..LOVE rotation dining on Disney!!

Big Al

Oh, lol. That's right. I totally missed your name in there. Thanks again for the great info and opinions.

And same to everyone else! :p