Anybody ever bring fishing gear to Grand Cayman?

Bowman26

I was thinking about trying to hit the surf and do some fishing during the day while in Grand Cayman. I'm thinking just one or two rods and a small amount of tackle nothing major.

Has anyone seen people doing this before? Have you? Not looking to go on a guided trip just want to wade fish and enjoy the beach and water. I'm having trouble finding if you need a permit to fish there as all I plan is catch and release being on a cruise.

Any info appreciated.

Bo

I many times have brought pack rods with me but this time in Grand Cayman I did not we were standing on some rocks after we had walked around . I looked down and saw four or five large fish very close to the shore they disappered and a few seconds latter another group came .They were about two and a half feet long and fat (not sure what they were ) but if you had a rod and some lures I think you would have been in luck. I cannot help you with the game rules of any of these islands but it is smart to bring a pack rod (hey you never know). The only way to fish on any trip is catch and release , many times you will see people right in the port fishing I always talk to them and see what is going on.( Cayman is tendered I think ) If you keep bringing the rod the time will come whan you will be glad you did. good luck

I'm having trouble finding if you need a permit to fish there as all I plan is catch and release being on a cruise.

According to http://www.caymannewresident.com/fishing as of September 2013:

"Restrictions on Fishing

Anyone is allowed to fish from a boat in deep water as long as they are well away from the shore. However, if you are not Caymanian or possess Caymanian Status you are not allowed to fish from the shore unless you have a fishing licence. A licence can be obtained from the Department of Environment, located in the Cayman Islands Environmental Centre on North Sound Road (Tel: (345) 949 8469) and costs CI$150 per month or CI$400 per year. Anyone however, can line fish from shore or within standing water as long as they practice 'catch and release' and the fish are not harmed."

Thanks for the replies. I don't think customs will be an issue as I have brought a lot of tackle on a fishing trip to Walker's Cay in the Bahamas. While there I learned that a few silver and gold spoons worked best overall. So I just plan to bring a handful of spoons and some hooks and weights to use bait if I can source any.

I've read of people fishing there but just can't get details about where they were or if there are any rules/regs etc.

Bo