When Is Final Payment Date

trubey

Yes, we are aware of that & would only do it with this travel wholesaler as have dealt with them for umpteen years...)

I wasn't trying to butt in and offer unneeded advice, but this topic has come up before and it was obvious then that some posters didn't have a clue that they had no chance of recouping their money if they paid by check and never got their docs or the agency went bellyup. Happy cruising. :)

Peaches, I think you were right to offer this advise and don't consider it butting in at all. As it turns out, the poster was quite aware of the possible negatives, but it could have saved someone some heartbreak down the line. And the main emphasis on this board should be advice. It's fun to share pictures of our pets; it's interesting to share differing view points; but the best thing we can offer each other is our own expertise and experience.

susana.

georgia]I wasn't trying to butt in and offer unneeded advice, but this topic has come up before and it was obvious then that some posters didn't have a clue that they had no chance of recouping their money if they paid by check and never got their docs or the agency went bellyup. Happy cruising.

Peaches, you are absolutely correct & welcome your opinion. Didn’t take your post as meddling. In hindsight, I shouldn’t have even mentioned it. Also caution others not to try to negotiate with your TA's, unless you can afford to lose money. No one is protected if the agency cashes your check & does not pay the Cruise Line. Hopefully most people will take your good advice.

Our company dealt with an agent for many years, who was always on time with his $$$. We were shocked however, when without any warning, the owner (Pres.) left his co-owner wife (the V.P.), moved to a Caribbean Island with his mistress, & absconded with thousands of $$$. Our company was owed lots & many of the agents customers were financially hurt, when the agency filed for bankruptcy. He eventually was arrested & served time for fraud, but those who lost $$$ never recouped their losses. Have seen it happen time & again & we’re very careful to advise our friends to pay by credit card. Only if we’re absolutely sure, will we do otherwise.

Trubey. loved your pictures, & agree we should have an animal lover’s forum!

Happy cruising everyone.:)

Also wonder if HAL's brochure statements are considered legal documents, or are they subject to change? I know invoices & tickets are legal documents..Maybe some of our experienced legal buffs, can give us an answer...Could they have different published policies for differnt brochures..

Happy cruising..:)

The legal answer is always "It depends."

Talk about changes -- Yesterday I got a 0% interest credit card offer that said right on it that the interest rate was not guaranteed and was subject to change at any time for any reason (or no reason). Heck of a deal, eh? :rolleyes:

We got taken one time and lost our $600 deposit on a cruise when we paid by check. It was a quite well-known 'Gold Coast' south FL discount cruise-only travel agency that only accepted checks for pymt, my cousin had used them many times and we had used them once with no problems. Docs never arrived, their phone had been disconnected and the answer from RCCL was that they had never been paid, not even the deposits, but sure had gotten a lot of phone calls. It all went through FL Bankruptcy Court, but of course there were no assets and no refund of anything. Live and learn, but I know from previous posts on CC that many do not understand that giving a check in pymt is as risky as giving cash.

About 10 years ago we sent a check to a Canadian travel agent for a cheap flight from Toronto to Europe. A few days afterwards, we heard that they were folding. But to our surprise, our check was returned, uncashed. We always figured that there was some honest person working in the office and knew what was about to happen. susana.

Quote:

Originally Posted by serendipity1499

Also wonder if HAL's brochure statements are considered legal documents, or are they subject to change? I know invoices & tickets are legal documents..Maybe some of our experienced legal buffs, can give us an answer...Could they have different published policies for differnt brochures..

Happy cruising..:)

The legal answer is always "It depends."

Well, no, according to the contract copy that is on the HAL website, in any discrepancy between the brochures and the contract, the contract prevails.

Archived