Early Saver -- "Dumb" it down for me

jburk

Sometimes I book ES and other times I don't. It just depends on the sale that is going on and prices. One cruise I did book it, we had a standard ocean view. The price was a little on the high side, but not so much that I was not okay with it. There were quite a few price drops and we ended up with about $300 OBC. Oh and we upgraded to a balcony for less than $200 (total for 3 people, 7 day cruise), without losing any of our OBC. So I was pretty pleased. The following cruise we did not book ES. Another rate was cheaper and I know that I could have booked it and price matched, but I wanted flexibility. DH has to put in his vacation time for the upcoming year in January, which was several months after I booked. I considered switching to ES but the price for ES never got down to what we paid. So we stayed with our rate. About a month before the cruise, prices dropped about $200, but of course we weren't ES so we did not get anything.

This upcoming cruise I thought we were ES, but I don't think my PVP booked it right. I wanted to book ES and then immediately price match to a lower rate, but I am booked at the other rate. Oh well, prices have not come down anyway (yet).

ES is kind of like finding money in an old coat, or playing the lottery. Its great when you get it, but you don't count on it to pay the bills.

If you know you are going and don't plan on canceling and the price is right, go ahead and book ES. If you think you might cancel or change dates then book another rate.

We've booked Early Saver on every cruise since the program began. We live in Florida but aren't positioned yet to do pack n' go. We do know, however, that changing the booking is very unlikely (we did have to change dates once so we paid the $50 pp admin fee). We always book a typical balcony, so price drops are likely, and we've always received price reductions prior to final payment date, and significant OBC after that. This year we've received just over $400 in reductions and moved from the 5th to the 7th deck. Until we retire we will stay with Early Saver as it suits us best.

Leon

This is what I've done as well--when it's a regular balcony (what I usually book) then I book ES if I'm certain I won't need make changes. I don't book ES when I want an aft wrap--too few cabins in that category. I've had OBC each time I've booked ES--the least OBC I received was over $200 and the most was over $2,000 (that when Carnival was having multiple PR issues and the prices were plummeting).

It doesn't always make sense to book ES, but when it does it can be a good deal. Worst case is that you don't get any OBC, so you're no worse off than if you'd booked any other rate (as long as you don't want to make changes, of course).

We too always book standard balconies ES and price drops are typically plentiful. On our Breeze Med cruise we got about $1400 in price drops alone....some adjusting the rate before final payment which was very nice, the balance ($800) in OBC, also very nice. There are very few cruises which do not yield a price drop.....except so far, for our S. Carib Valor cruise coming up in Jan....ship seems close to sold out. But that is an exception to the rule.....for us ES has paid off BIG time in giving us the absolute lowest fares CCL has offered and offsets a $50 penalty by far. But as a caveat, one must be diligent and monitor the fares.

We've had good luck with Early Saver. Our current situation follows.

We are booked on the Sunshine in Nov for a B2B. Leg 1 has dropped twice in the last 10 days and we have a $270 OBC.

Leg 2 has also dropped twice and we have an OBC of $295.

Our Jan Pride cruise has dropped within the last 2 weeks and we have had

$150 credited to our Balance Due.

As some said before, we only book ES at a price we are pleased with up front.

I have always booked early saver. I have always had some onboard credit. There have been trips where it has been $50 and for my upcoming trip its about $450. I don't live anywhere near any port so I always have to fly in. I usually book far in advance at a rate that I am willing to pay even with no price drops. So when the price does drop its great but not something that I am counting on. I always book a balcony room so there are price drops on those rooms too. I think you need to take a look at the time you are cruising. The ship is going to sail anyway so if its not filling up they will drop the prices in effort for it to sail full. If you are going over Thanksgiving, between Christmas and New Years, or during spring break time you most likely will not see a lot of price drops. I have never gone during the summer so I can't speak to that time frame.

IMHO, Early Saver is only advantageous for cabins that are available in mass quantities...inside, ocean view and balcony. Specialty cabins like suites, aft view, scenic ocean view and spa cabins sell out quickly, so there is no necessity for Carnival to drop the prices. We have a inside cabin for our cruise on Saturday and have 735.00 in OBC:)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I would revive an old post, rather than start a new one on this topic.

I have read here that if I cancel my early saver cruise, I will lose a 50.00 pp fee, and that the remainder of my paid deposit will be held by Carnival, but I can use it towards a new booking within two years.

My question is; will that be two years from the date of cancellation, or two years from the date of my initially booked cruise?

I am a long ways out from final payment for my September cruise, but am toying with the idea of booking a cruise out of San Juan in 2016. I wish, but I cannot afford to do both, and dont want to do the San Juan cruise in September this year.

Thanks for any info on this.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 3 weeks later...
IMHO, Early Saver is only advantageous for cabins that are available in mass quantities...inside, ocean view and balcony. Specialty cabins like suites, aft view, scenic ocean view and spa cabins sell out quickly, so there is no necessity for Carnival to drop the prices. We have a inside cabin for our cruise on Saturday and have 735.00 in OBC:)

I was in an inside spa cabin but I just switched to a 6D OV cabin for $60 more. Hopefully, prices will drop but if not I like the one I switched to better anyway. Just found out there's not a thasso pool on the Sunshine so I doubt I'd being using the spa that much anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
I thought I would revive an old post, rather than start a new one on this topic.

I have read here that if I cancel my early saver cruise, I will lose a 50.00 pp fee, and that the remainder of my paid deposit will be held by Carnival, but I can use it towards a new booking within two years.

My question is; will that be two years from the date of cancellation, or two years from the date of my initially booked cruise?

I am a long ways out from final payment for my September cruise, but am toying with the idea of booking a cruise out of San Juan in 2016. I wish, but I cannot afford to do both, and dont want to do the San Juan cruise in September this year.

Thanks for any info on this.

From cancelation, so cancel as late as possible.

I booked early saver and it hasn't helped me. I won't do it again. The lower fares I've seen I was told were for new bookings only. I have just made final payment so I will see what happens next. If some time during the next three months I get a price drop, I may feel differently. So far, I have been locked into a cruise and have not seen any benefits at all. I live in Fl so don't need to book early and I won't do it again. If you live some place that you need a flight, it may be different. From now on I will do last minute bookings. This board has several places where this has been hashed out many tines. Do a search and read it all and make your decision. If your cabin choice is limited, you would take a chance on not getting it if you wait and the chance of a price drop is small.

The "new bookings only" restriction does not apply to Early Saver price drops, but often you have to be persistent if you're initially turned-down for this reason.

Additionally, with Early Saver you're allowed to (ONCE) turn your assigned cabin in and "move" to a Guarantee offering; I believe you no longer get price drops for the Guarantee. Again you may have to be persistent to get this. Ken