New to DCL need help picking room

angiem0217

I have cruised Carnival several times but this will be our first Disney Cruise!!! I am so excited. We are going on the Dream in March. It is me, husband, 18 year old daughter and 8 year old son. I am going to get a Deluxe Family balcony room. What would be the best deck? Daughter will be at pool a lot and son will want to go to pool and kids club. Looking for good view, central location, less noise at night while sleeping. Was thinking deck 7 or 8? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you book online can you pick your own room? It's let's me pick the category but not the actual room.

Disney's website will let you select your cabin but it's a little convoluted. Once you select your room category, look to the left of the page under "Getting Started." You will see "Staterooms" "1 stateroom selected." Click on it. Look down on the page and you will see "Stateroom 1." Under it you will see "Statement Number" and "none selected." Click on "select." Then you will see whatever staterooms are available. Good luck!

By deluxe family balcony room, I assume you are referring to the Cat. 4x rooms (where x is a letter ranging from A to E). Note that the ones on Deck 5 (Cat. 4E) are standard sized rooms (not the larger family sized rooms) but have an extended balcony. If you want the larger room, you want to be on either Deck 6 (Cat. 4D), Deck 7 (Cat. 4C), Deck 8 (Cat. 4B), Deck 9 (Cat. 4A), or Deck 10 (also Cat. 4A). If you want staterooms both above and below you, I recommend Deck 7, 8, or 9. You can't go wrong with any of those three decks.

I agree with decks 7,8, or 9. If you want quick access to the buffet, close to the aft elevators are great. Quick access to the kids clubs on deck 5 would be aft or mid. The fastest way to the pools is via mid elevators, although aft isn't bad.

Actually, the aft elevators are not a good way to access the pool, since they bring you to near the back of the buffet. You need to walk through the buffet with no way to bypass it. You also can't get to the main outdoor section of Deck 12 from the aft elevators, since they lead only to Palo, Remy, and Meridian.

One quirk on this ship is that the forward and midship elevators are close together, but the midship and aft elevators are far apart. This means that if you want to get to the pool area and your room is aft, you either have a long walk to the midship elevators, or have to walk through the buffet.

Decks 7 and 8 are the decks I have had rooms on in the past, although I have also had a room on deck 6 (I believe) most of the rooms have a common meeting point (Depending on which side of the ship your room is on) that has a bank of elevators as well as stairs which make getting were you need to go very easy. If you want more visual I know that there is a 3D map of the ship on the DisneyCruise website which you can use to see where things are, like the pool or sports center.

Hope this helps! :)

We were aft on the Fantasy last year and walked through the buffet every time...didn't really bother us. Either way.....

Not too big a deal, but when you pass through the buffet, they expect you to use the hand sanitizer wipes. Not a big deal, but it's a slight inconvenience, and I took it as a hint that they didn't really want people using the buffet as a pass through. Plus, I'm pretty sure that officially, you're not supposed to pass through the buffet with wet swimsuits. It would have been convenient if there was an elevator lobby at the forward end of the buffet / aft end of pool area, but there isn't.