Who Regulates the Cruise Industry because..

Queen Louise

Extended balcony on Carnival Spirit class ships, as the Miracle is, refers to the balcony depth, not the width or length. This cabin has the deeper depth, so it is an 'extended balcony' as far as Carnival is concerned.

Thanks for that, but I suspect you're talking about extended-depth balconies elsewhere on the ship.

The link to the vid on the other thread didn't work for me either, but here's one I've ferretted out for 4235 and it doesn't square with what you've posted. Bear in mind that it's 4235, opposite side of the ship, so identical to the OP's but opposite-handed.

http://www.viddler.com/v/c38a774e

This shows two windows, one overlooking the head of the staircase (the contributor calls it his "Atlantic Ocean window"). The second is the pair of glazed doors to the balcony - which is clearly standard depth or less (as shallow as I've seen on any ship) and certainly no greater than the width of a standard balcony cabin. So in no dimension can it be described as extended-balcony.

"Treat it as a challenging game" yes that is a good approach.;)

But but but I think you are not looking at the right balcony because it has a crew steps at that window. On the deck plan it does show two lines on the balcony but I did not think it would be steps in front of the window. Look at the pictures of the inside of the room someone kindly posted, the curtains are closed why???? because.....it should say what is outside the window. For you privacy is clearly not an issue but for others it is and I enjoy privacy. You said it is clearly not an obstructed view but read the Cruise Critic review of people who have had the suite and they say it is not only obstructed but the window can be looked into. But but but, yes I know 'drop it' :(

Yes, it seems that total privacy would mean closing the curtains to that "ocean view" window.

But standard balcony dividers both sides mean privacy through the balcony doors and on the balcony itself. :)

And it's very clear that there's no obstruction to the view through doors or window - not sure why anyone could describe it as such.

There are cabins on the promenade deck of a number of older ships - their windows look onto the prom. Or more importantly, anyone on the prom can look into their cabin through its only window. Now that's what even I call a lack of privacy. ;)

Yet this isn't mentioned on brochures.

http://www.ocean-liner-society.com/Visit_Ryndam2013.htm

Yes, we all have different privacy comfort levels, but I doubt you'll get far with any complaint that you weren't told of the staircase. It's the sort of thing to check out as best one can on deck plans.

Which brings me back to the balcony size. It looks like a bigger balcony on deck plans and if it's also described as extended balcony then it's obviously a false description.

So even though privacy may be your prime problem, perhaps use the balcony size to seek a change or some recompense cos I think that's where your best chance lies.

No, don't necessarily give up the battle - as long as you don't let it dominate your thoughts or make you feel blue.

Free on-board credit is easier to arrange and less-painful for a cruise line than reducing any prices.;)

Happy huntin'

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Queen Louise, Are you using a TA? If so, have them fight this out with Carnival.

They should be permitting you to change cabins seeing you are a year out.

If you do not have a TA, ask Carnival if you can transfer your booking from (presumably) booking directly with them and give it to a TA and let that TA fight it out. Of course, you should inform the TA of the issue prior to giving them your booking as you then are committed to remain with them.

And another photo, more closeup. The stairs lead up to your deck from the deck below. There is a corridor next to your room that is accessed by the stairs. Your balcony would be between the first two partitions only - the space between the 2nd and 3rd partitions is for headroom for the stairway:

46164558-L-1.jpg

Thank you for sending these photos and information

As this shows, It is advertised as an Extended View Balcony but this does not exist because the balcony is cut off because the stair cuts right over the floor to ceiling window. The room is beautiful but it was the balcony and the non obstructed view we were buying into, or at least that is what Carnival sell it for.

Your cabin is immediately to the left of the "boxed" 4228. You can see that you have a "normal" vs. extended width balcony and you can clearly see the entire staircase is below your line-of-sight.

The sad truth is ALL cruise lines use a generic description for their cabins. The other junior suites on all the Spirit Class ships do have an extended width balcony and unobstructed views. Your specific suite (4226) does not have an extended width balcony but it does have an unobstructed view from your balcony & the sliding doors to that balcony. Other junior suites have a second window next to the bed. The staircase in question starts on your deck and goes down to the deck below you. In the interest of privacy, they eliminated the window so people on those stairs can't look in. This picture is from Carnival Legend and is cabin 4226.

legend4226_zps5d24e191.jpg

Try to enjoy the cruise!