What ship is this a mural of on Queen Elizabeth?

amishomelet

I'd say that's just a pretty painting. Given the 1920s/30s style attire of the passengers, it's not possible that it refers to an actual ship depiction.

The only ships to have outdoor pools at this time were the Italian Line ships Rex and Conte Di Savoia (Ive read several articles that indicate Normandie had a small outdoor pool as well as its big indoor first class pool, but i cant find evidence of it on any upper deck images of this ship). However, the outdoor pools on the Italia Line ships were not aft, nor were they covered, and the funnel colour clearly denotes a Cunard ship.

It's a nice mural though.

Edited by Austcruiser84

Ive read several articles that indicate Normandie had a small outdoor pool as well as its big indoor first class pool, but i cant find evidence of it on any upper deck images of this ship
Look at aerial photo of stern decks.

Cheers.

A 2010 discussion of that mural can be found here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1255799&page=8

Guernseyguy wrote "...meanwhile, I have read on another board that the Lido mural may be an 'homage' (charitable interpretation) to the SS Roma of 1926..."

Looking at a picture of the SS Roma - it could have been this ship. The scene also does look very 20s/30s Italian.

SS Roma! Yes, thank you! I stole my original picture from that thread, yet missed the comment about the Roma...

Charitable interpretation for sure...the funnel was changed color. Nice black and white photo of the pool at 2:25 on

6924656642_aa7ee4bf09_o.jpg.45cdbdf74f1b9145ead22be123b39000.jpg

Edited by amishomelet

SS Roma! Yes, thank you! I stole my original picture from that thread, yet missed the comment about the Roma...

Charitable interpretation for sure...the funnel was changed color. Nice black and white photo of the pool at 2:25 on

Thanks, amishomelet for that link - wow! what an amazing ship - with an amazing history. Because you asked a simple question about a pleasant mural on the QV (and in retrospect, it is a nice homage to a beautiful ship), I did some reading and learned about the Roma and more about maritime history. Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia