Is it wrong....

Exactly. The dress suggestion for The Grande is already more relaxed than the current suggestion for formal nights and there were rumors floating around that it might even be relaxed even more.

Well I guess that's partially true, BUT as you point out, currently formal night dress is suggested, while for The Grande it's REQUIRED.

When booking the Chef's Table a few months ago, it was evident the Quantum Dress Codes had been adapted as part of the Dynamic Dining concept.

Here are the Dress Codes and Policies as stated in the Cruise Planner for each venue:

Formal Dress Code

(The Grande, Chef’s Table)

•Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

•A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Smart Casual Dress Code

(American Icon, Chic, and Silk complimentary dining rooms)

(Coastal Kitchen, suite complimentary dining)

(Divinly Decadence complimentary breakfast and specialty lunch)

(Chops Grill, Divinly Decadence, Izumi, Jamie’s Italian and Wonderland, specialty dining)

•Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.

•Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.

Casual Dress Code

(Café Promenade(24 hour), Café@270, Seaplex Dog House, Sorrento’s Pizza, The Windjammer Marketplace(24 hour)) complimentary casual dining

(Johnny Rockets and Michael’s Pub specialty casual dining)

No new information provided on Casual Dress Code, except as a policy statement.

Dress Policy (standards)

•Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

•T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

So also still NOT ALLOWED for dinner are tank tops, baseball caps, t-shirts, shorts or flip-flops.

while for The Grande it's REQUIRED.

Yes indeed. It will be interesting to see if they keep the "jacket required" wording and if they will actually turn people away for not abiding by the requirements.

Personally, I would not enter The Grande in anything less than a nice suit :) "Jacket required" and pants with "sports shirt" is NOT what I would consider formalwear. Smart casual at best.

The NOT ALLOWED items should be a given!

Edited by ryano

You are not right or wrong. It is just a preference.

a) You still need a suit for one of the DD restaurants on Quantum. Personally, this restaurant is the one with the choices I prefer.

b) Why would you want to carry your phone around and risk losing it? I just fold the activity sheet and carry it around in my pocket.

c) I've never felt that I've been treated different than other cruisers because I am a tier. Sorry that you have felt that way.

e) I have no problem with those people who pay for suites getting access to special areas. It helps keep the cost of my cruise down.

f) Generally, 8 to 5 is enough for me in port. I've usually reached my endurance by mid-afternoon, the perfect time to come back to the ship for a snack and rest. However, I know there are people who like to eat off the ship and I have enjoyed overnighting in some ports. Keep an eye out for those itineraries, but they are usually not in the Caribbean.

g) Photographers have become less intrusive. I have never had a photographer push when I've said no thanks.

Yes indeed. It will be interesting to see if they keep the "jacket required" wording and if they will actually turn people away for not abiding by the requirements.

Personally, I would not enter The Grande in anything less than a nice suit :) "Jacket required" and pants with "sports shirt" is NOT what I would consider formalwear. Smart casual at best.

Agreed - but at least "jacket required" is a step in the right direction.

The NOT ALLOWED items should be a given!

Agreed again, but you're in danger of drawing the wrath of the "it's MY vacation and I'll wear whatever the hell I want to" vocal minority here, who feel they should be able to show up in shorts EVERY night, EVERYWHERE! :)

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I can certainly see the first and last nights being at least half-empty. Even if you want to dress up and eat at The Grande, do you want to plan to do it on embarkation day? What if there is a snafu with your luggage? Likewise, on the last night. Do you then want to have to keep all that (at least for men) bulky formalwear in your carry-on(s) to walk off the ship with in the morning? So I wouldn't be surprised if they relaxed the dress code on those nights.

You bring up a good point about first/last night. Maybe relaxing The Grande dress codes only for first/last night would be a reasonable compromise to allow those who refuse to dress up for dinner to try it.

Agreed - but at least "jacket required" is a step in the right direction.

Agreed again, but you're in danger of drawing the wrath of the "it's MY vacation and I'll wear whatever the hell I want to" vocal minority here, who feel they should be able to show up in shorts EVERY night, EVERYWHERE! :)

Gary, on the swingers cruise you are going on in November on Indy, what is the dress code, or no clothes rule for formal night:D

Do they strictly enforce towels, or will you be handing them out at the entrance to the MDR;)

Edited by PompeySailor

Gary, on the swingers cruise you are going on in November on Indy, what is the dress code, or no clothes rule for formal night:D

Do they strictly enforce towels, or will you be handing them out at the entrance to the MDR;)

Since you ask, the dinner attire on one of these Couples Cruise charters (we, along with over half of the cruisers aboard are not "swingers") is much more dressy & formal EVERY night than a typical cruise. The actual "dress code" is RCI's, but the great majority will be wearing attire meeting the "suggested dress" minimums for Formal Night - every night.

The rest of the dress code for the week is: nude allowed at/around the pool (when not in port) and women can be topless in the disco at night. Fully dressed required all other times/places including all restaurants.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Since you ask, the dinner attire on one of these Couples Cruise charters (we, along with over half of the cruisers aboard are not "swingers") is much more dressy & formal EVERY night than a typical cruise. The actual "dress code" is RCI's, but the great majority will be wearing attire meeting the "suggested dress" minimums for Formal Night - every night.

The rest of the dress code for the week is: nude allowed at/around the pool (when not in port) and women can be topless in the disco at night. Fully dressed required all other times/places including all restaurants.

You are not right or wrong. It is just a preference.

a) You still need a suit for one of the DD restaurants on Quantum. Personally, this restaurant is the one with the choices I prefer.

b) Why would you want to carry your phone around and risk losing it? I just fold the activity sheet and carry it around in my pocket.

c) I've never felt that I've been treated different than other cruisers because I am a tier. Sorry that you have felt that way.

e) I have no problem with those people who pay for suites getting access to special areas. It helps keep the cost of my cruise down.

f) Generally, 8 to 5 is enough for me in port. I've usually reached my endurance by mid-afternoon, the perfect time to come back to the ship for a snack and rest. However, I know there are people who like to eat off the ship and I have enjoyed overnighting in some ports. Keep an eye out for those itineraries, but they are usually not in the Caribbean.

g) Photographers have become less intrusive. I have never had a photographer push when I've said no thanks.

I am yet to lose my phone whilst on the ship. I am quite careful with my belongings.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. As I hit various levels on AA over the years, I was made Lifetime Gold and then Lifetime Platinum. I'm no longer traveling heavily for business as I used to, but will be able to continue to enjoy the Platinum perks for the rest of my life, just like my RCI level perks.

Hate to break it to you. I am not incorrect about how British Airways work. I don't know how AA works, but with all the airlines I have travelled with (British Airways, KLM and the British Midland - who are now owned by British Airways), and also with my experience of Hilton Hotels, I have always lost my perks and non-lifetime points after a year. My lifetime points with British Airways have not given me any entitlements other than a seat which I can reserve for free up to 24 hours before the flight.

My status is reduced after 1 year, and generally cancelled after 2 years if I haven't flown with British Airways. Maybe the British system works differently to the American system, but to say that I am incorrect without understanding how the system I am familiar with is slightly arrogant.

I'm really sad to see, in this day and age, that anyone feels less important than any other cruiser because they are not in a suite. My husband and I always booked balconies when we were younger because that was what we could afford. Nowadays we can afford to book suites. We're still the same people. I don't think poorly of anyone who has an inside or a window or a balcony or suite. They are all just people with different budgets doing their best to have a great holiday. I really hope that the OP realizes that he/she is just as important as anyone else on any cruise.

As to the perks Suite Guests receive, the Suite Guests are paying for these. Guests in lower priced cabins are not paying for these. This helps keep prices lower in non-suite cabins which is good for EVERYONE.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Hate to break it to you. I am not incorrect about how British Airways work. I don't know how AA works, but with all the airlines I have travelled with (British Airways, KLM and the British Midland - who are now owned by British Airways), and also with my experience of Hilton Hotels, I have always lost my perks and non-lifetime points after a year. My lifetime points with British Airways have not given me any entitlements other than a seat which I can reserve for free up to 24 hours before the flight.

My status is reduced after 1 year, and generally cancelled after 2 years if I haven't flown with British Airways. Maybe the British system works differently to the American system, but to say that I am incorrect without understanding how the system I am familiar with is slightly arrogant.

Hmm... Well, I really hate to break it to you, but yes you ARE incorrect about how British Airways works. I do understand how the system works, so that just makes me knowledgeable, not arrogant. ;)

I just doublechecked to be absolutely sure. If you'll do what I did, and google "British Airways frequent flyer lifetime" you can find the information on the official BA website about their lifetime status levels and what it takes to get there. You obviously just haven't flown enough to qualify if you don't know about their lifetime status tiers. Not everyone gets lifetime status, whether we're talking AA or BA. Only those they consider their truly elite flyers earn the lifetime benefits.

I'd suggest you were the overly-arrogant one here, might want to check more thoroughly next time. ;)

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Hmm... Well, I really hate to break it to you, but yes you ARE incorrect about how British Airways works. I do understand how the system works, so that just makes me knowledgeable, not arrogant. ;)

I just doublechecked to be absolutely sure. If you'll do what I did, and google "British Airways frequent flyer lifetime" you can find the information on the official BA website about their lifetime status levels and what it takes to get there. You obviously just haven't flown enough to qualify if you don't know about their lifetime status tiers. Not everyone gets lifetime status, whether we're talking AA or BA. Only those they consider their truly elite flyers earn the lifetime benefits.

I'd suggest you were the overly-arrogant one here, might want to check more thoroughly next time. ;)

For once I have to agree with Gary:eek:

Yes, your Tier Points will expire at the end of each membership year – the anniversary of when you joined the Club. They will then be added to your Lifetime Tier Points which is the total Tier Points you’ve ever earned with the Club. We’ll offer you recognition and rewards for your lifetime of loyalty.

From BA website.

Being AA platinum for life and Gold on BA have experience with both.

You are correct on BA points expire each year, but lifetime is for lifetime:)

For once I have to agree with Gary:eek:

Yes, your Tier Points will expire at the end of each membership year – the anniversary of when you joined the Club. They will then be added to your Lifetime Tier Points which is the total Tier Points you’ve ever earned with the Club. We’ll offer you recognition and rewards for your lifetime of loyalty.

From BA website.

Being AA platinum for life and Gold on BA have experience with both.

You are correct on BA points expire each year, but lifetime is for lifetime:)

Ah, a fellow AA Lifetime Platinum! How long have you been in the program? I joined within the first year of the program, have an AAdvantage ID that's all numeric, no letters!

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Ah, a fellow AA Lifetime Platinum! How long have you been in the program? I joined within the first year of the program, have an AAdvantage ID that's all numeric, no letters![/QUOTE]

Only 12 years, but rarely fly now, just to cruise ports:)
B for my number.
Happy Days!