Did you cruise on Gemini ?

Many Australians and New Zealanders may have flown up to Singapore or somewhere in SE Asia and cruised on the lovely Star Cruise's Gemini. In case you are wondering where she is and what she is doing heres an update..

She was used as accommodation for the Olympic Games in London, is currently in Lerwick, Shetland Islands as a floating hotel for gas workers and is about to be moved again to ride out the harsh winters they have up there.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/09/30/gemini-to-head-to-scalloway

Gemini_Arriving_-_3-e1405432006469-768x317.jpg?350f29

Thanks for the photo David, it brings back great memories.

Our very first cruise was on the Gemini and we did 4 more on her before she was sold. I remember the CD was Colin Kerr, the best CD ever!

We only had the one cruise on Gemini and I remember the CD was the best we ever came across. All I recall was that his name was Colin , so you have filled in a gap for me. Many thanks.

We only had the one cruise on Gemini and I remember the CD was the best we ever came across. All I recall was that his name was Colin , so you have filled in a gap for me. Many thanks.

We also sailed on her 3 times and loved it. Totally agree about Colin the cruise director. This post has brought back fond memories.:)

Our first cruise was on Gemini and it spoilt us for all our subsequent cruises

With only about 800 Passengers and a mainly Philippino crew it was a very personalised experience.

The last I heard of Gemini was that she was operating out of Taiwan but that was a couple of years ago

She still looks in good nick in the photo

John

I agree about Colin being the best CD we've ever sailed with. We had him a couple of times on Superstar Virgo. This shows him at the napkin folding demo with a 'bikini bottom' back in 2003.

I found the second shot online (http://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2014/06/19/1336391/philstage-welcomes-full-house-theater-company).

He is now VP Entertainment at Resorts World Manila.

PICT0004.JPG

Colin-Kerr-Sviatlana-Burkun-Audie-Gemora-ENT9.jpg

Gemini is due in Sydney on 22/06/2015.

Thats a strange listing. I dont think its the Gemini we are talking about. This ship has been laid up since 2011 when the operator Quail cruises went bust . The crew went on strike in Gibraltar and the ship has been tied up since then in London until being chartered by the oil company for use in the Shetland Islands.

There is also a Superstar Gemini that is the refurbished Norwegian Dream. I wonder if thats the one?

Hi David,

Perhaps, however the ship also calls at Melbourne, on that web site there is a link to a picture of the ship and it is definitely this ship! That's the port website too! I think we should cross our fingers for it to be this ship!

Cheers,

David

Hi David,Perhaps, however the ship also calls at Melbourne, on that web site there is a link to a picture of the ship and it is definitely this ship! That's the port website too! I think we should cross our fingers for it to be this ship!Cheers, David

Hi David,

Mystery solved...I think. I clicked on that pic and it shows Gemini under the colours of Quail Cruises. That was the company she was sailing for until they collapsed and the ship was laid up , and the crew had to go on stike to get their wages....(I dont they ever got them ) . They probably had her booked in for a future cruise to Australia and there is probably no one around in the company to notify the ports that its all cancelled.

Hi David,

Indeed, but.....the listing was only added last week, to both ports....maybe someone is taking her up on charter. Given it is June it is a strange time of the year for a ship to be here on a world cruise...I think there will be more to this over time! Fingers crossed anyway, I'm sure that we will enjoy seeing her on both sides on the pond!

Cheers,

David