Checking cases of soda at Bayport Houston?

BayouDoc

We are sailing on the Jewel in a few weeks. Norwegian allows you to bring on your own sodas. In NOLA the dockhands refuse to treat cases of soda as checked baggage but apparently at most ports you can put a room tag on the case and have it delivered to the room. Does anyone know if this is done at Bayport or do you have to carry on soda as in NOLA?

There was never a problem with the other port when NCL sailed out of Houston. Since it's the same stevedore union, I can't see it being a problem. There have been no posts noting anything different. New Orleans and Tampa are the two known union issue ports.

Edited by rvsullivan

My luggage has been demolished twice at cruiseports. Granted they were not TX, or NOLA but after seeing what they do to luggage on those carts, I bring my case of soda and water in with my carry ons.

And it keeps you from having to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve your bag and lug it to your room.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that we have the first cruise out of Houston, does anyone have information?

We carried soda and bottled water on (small quantities). I would not put a luggage tag on a case of soda, however that may be an option.

We just returned from the second cruise out of Bayport. Left 10/18/14.

We always put a luggage tag on a case of soda and send it off with the porters to be delivered to our cabin.

This time they wouldn't take it. The porter was very nice nice but said he was not allowed to take it.

So we carried it on ourselves.

We just returned from the second cruise out of Bayport. Left 10/18/14.

We always put a luggage tag on a case of soda and send it off with the porters to be delivered to our cabin.

This time they wouldn't take it. The porter was very nice nice but said he was not allowed to take it.

So we carried it on ourselves.

There you go, so now we have three ports that won't check soda. New Orleans, Tampa and now Bayport.

We sailed on the first Norwegian Jewel sailing out of Houston Bayport and the porters would NOT take soda or water cases at check-in. Three ladies carried 2 cases of water and several 6 packs of soda into the suite/VIP check in area and then wanted to know who was going to carry them on the ship when the porters would not. Pack them as luggage and there will be no problem.

Great port and great ship!

We sailed on the first Norwegian Jewel sailing out of Houston Bayport and the porters would NOT take soda or water cases at check-in. Three ladies carried 2 cases of water and several 6 packs of soda into the suite/VIP check in area and then wanted to know who was going to carry them on the ship when the porters would not. Pack them as luggage and there will be no problem.

Great port and great ship!

Would you be able to tell me where the Suite/VIP location is in Bayport? We are a party of 6 in one of the Garden Villas and will be traveling with someone who will need to sit frequently. I want to be confident in the location so we can make certain he will be comfortable. At this time he does not need a wheelchair, and would likely NOT sit in one if we made certain to have one with us! He is a bit stubborn, like many of us!:D

The Suite/VIP check in area is right after security check. A very short walk and then you will see the signs to your left as you enter the main check in area. There is plenty of seating in the Suite/VIP area. Depending on what time you check in there may be a line at security and there are no chairs there. I would check with an employee at the terminal and see if there is a way to perhaps go thru security more quickly if you have a member of your group that has a hard time standing.