Fascination Cruise Review Oct 6-11

kentuckyluckyguy

Going through the motions of the first day back at work after five nights aboard the Fascination. Thought I'd jot down a few things for those of you cruising her soon. Kentucky Lucky Girl and I took our third cruise together and had a great time.

We took the five night cruise from Jacksonville and had a pre-cruise stay at the Best Western Seaside Inn in St. Augustine, Florida. Perfect place to spend a couple of days as had never been there before. Enjoyed the beach, the Fort and several of the restaurants there. Simply loved it and it's just a short drive south of the Port.

We made our way to JaxPort on Monday morning and upon arriving at the gates at 10:00 a.m. were turned away and told we couldn't return until 11:30 a.m. So, since we had time to spare we drove over to Jacksonville Beach just to see it and by the time we got back to the port at 11:00 a.m. we were admitted through the parking gates and into the lot.

EMBARKATION

Jacksonville's terminal isn't anything impressive. It's a large metal building and is in no way comparable to what they had in Mobile, Port Canveral or Miami or even West Palm Beach. However, they make it work. Once inside we snaked through a que line that was about six rows deep..then over to the check in desks. We put cash on our S&S card right there (which was a first as we'd always had to do that at the Service Desk once on board the ship). Then once we had our S&S cards we proceeded to the que lines for the obligatory boarding photo. We were on the ship by 12:00 and having lunch in Coconuts by 12:20pm. It was one of the easiest embarkations ever.

SHIP

We were in cabin M258...at the very aft. Large window that looked out the rear of the ship. This ship is 20 years old this year...and it was announced by the CD that it would have a massive dry dock this coming March. It needs it. The carpet on all of the stairs is dull and almost dirty looking. There is quite a bit of rust on the ship and there is a lot of normal wear and tear (like small tiles missing in places or chips/cracks in decorative fixtures). The bathroom floor drains were very slow and we always flooded the bathroom after showers. This ship isn't as bright/colorful as many of the other Fantasy Class ships, which might be a welcome relief to some who find Carnival gaudy with the colors and décor.

We never officially met our cabin steward. We only had one interaction with his assistant when we needed fresh beach towels. However the cabin was always clean and towels refreshed. No complaints but he's the first one I've not ever had introduce himself to me in eight cruises now.

DINING

For the first time ever we did the Your Time Dining. It will be the last time. Every night except for the first night on the trip we had long waits to be seated. On Formal Night we waited for almost an hour. On Thursday night we waited for over 45 minutes and were never seated so we retreated to the buffet in Coconuts as did many other people. While it's nice to not have to rush to be ready by a specified time, for us it was simply not worth the wait every night. We skipped the MDR two of the three nights because of this fact.

The food was OK...fairly small portion sizes but oddly enough I was full after the appetizer, entrée and desert each night. Service was fairly prompt although we did experience some wait time once seated each evening, but nothing too long. From the time we were seated until we finished, dining took just over an hour.

I missed the interaction with the wait staff each night too, which has always been part of the fun of the MDR.

ITENERARY

Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay. We did Junkanoo Beach at Nassau. Just walked there from the ship then spent a couple of hours that afternoon shopping and browsing before having a couple of drinks at Sharkeez.

LSC was as great as ever. We were there during a low tide too. Amazing how far out you can walk into the ocean once the tide is at it's lowest. Saw three sharks, several stingrays and a variety of other ocean life while walking. We called the calm side of the island our home for the day, away from the crowds and noise. It was a perfect day.

ON BOARD ENTERTAINMNET

Adam Comes, the CD is the best I've ever had. He's very energetic and always laughing and really seems to love what he does. I can't say enough good things about him. He was one of the first CD's I've ever had that I felt like I could have sat down and had a long conversation with. I don't know how long he's done this, but he has a great future in this business.

Piano Bar...Music by Hailey was horrible and a big disappointment. She was only playing two nights on the cruise...and honestly she wasn't great. I was really looking forward to spending some time there after last year's cruise on the Ecstasy,,,but after listening to three songs the first night I couldn't stand it. And, no one was ever in there anyway.

MOTOWN/DIVA'S productions: We'd never seen either. Very talented dancers and vocalists on this ship We enjoyed both shows, especially Divas.

First time I'd ever played the music trivia too...we did 80's and classic rock. It was a lot of fun.

All in all..I'd give it three stars out of five. While the ships crew is friendly enough, they aren't real personable with the exception of Adam the CD.

I think next year we are going to look at 7 day cruises and perhaps look seriously at RCCL and/or Norwegian just to try something different.

Thanks for your review. I am on her for the fourth time next month-and have anytime dining again. What time of evening did you head to the MDR? I will make sure I do another time, waiting an hour for dinner, is far too long, when one restaruant is set up to handle the anytimers.

I take it that Hailey is new to the ship, so she will be on when I get on. That's sad. I love Jordan, met him when we were on the legend, he made the piano bar fun, but so far in 7 cruises, he was the only one who enjoyed the crowd more than themselves.

I was on the same cruise and although I had early dining when I booked the cruise when I checked in I had your time dining on my card...we thought about changing it but we just rolled with it...every night we went to dinner around 6 and never had a wait...seemed like alot of waiting around 730.

I thought Hailey in the piano bar was good...we went two nights but I dont know how many nights she was in there.

I do agree on Adam my family did like him very much and the assistant cd Gary

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We are sailing on her in April 2015. I'm actually excited because the dry dock takes place about 2 weeks prior to our sailing. So hopefully she will be like new. I only tried MTD one time and was not at all impressed. So now i always book early dining. I think I just like the traditional way the best.

Not to be rude, but I'm glad they got another CD. I didn't like Jase when we went this summer.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Funny how different people like different things. We thought Jase was excellent and went overboard to keep us happy. This was our first cruise with him.

Thanks for your review. I am on her for the fourth time next month-and have anytime dining again. What time of evening did you head to the MDR? I will make sure I do another time, waiting an hour for dinner, is far too long, when one restaruant is set up to handle the anytimers.

I take it that Hailey is new to the ship, so she will be on when I get on. That's sad. I love Jordan, met him when we were on the legend, he made the piano bar fun, but so far in 7 cruises, he was the only one who enjoyed the crowd more than themselves.

Hey, Marshhawk - we'll be on the same cruise as you next month!

We were on the same cruise- CD and Asst CD were fun. Also did anytime dining with a large group and hardly waited at all but we went early and 4 of 5 nights had the same wait staff. Food overall was good in the MDR- some of the things i was not impressed with- like soggy eggrolls- were fine for others in our group. Had up to 4 apps one night and multiple entries 3 times. Desserts were good.

Ship does show some age but no real problems. Bathroom did smell when we arrived like many others have said but i think it was the cleaning solution in the toilet! smell went away after a few flushes. Our cabin steward was Felix (others in our group had Oscar- not the Odd Couple)- Felix called out to me first day as i walked by the cabin he was attending to and second day asked the correct pronunciation of my wife's name- room was well attended and he kept us in towels etc.

Not much action at the craps table and Blackjack not nice to me overall for the week- but you can't win them all. We are from Tennessee and during one of the shows Adam or Gary determined that most of the passengers were from either Tenn or Kentucky -- we enjoyed some "Rocky Top" by the pool and the winning guest bartender thing was a Kentucky Wildcat- i think it was blue.

Found a mens wedding band at Coco Cay and turned it in to Guest Services if you've lost one.

Weather was great, seas were calm and had a great time- this was our second cruise, the first was many years ago and weather was bad- rough seas, a lot of seasick people, cancelled shows for the safety of the performers etc, but we are considering doing another cruise again.

• 1 month later...
I was on the same cruise and although I had early dining when I booked the cruise when I checked in I had your time dining on my card...we thought about changing it but we just rolled with it...every night we went to dinner around 6 and never had a wait...seemed like alot of waiting around 730.

I thought Hailey in the piano bar was good...we went two nights but I dont know how many nights she was in there.

I do agree on Adam my family did like him very much and the assistant cd Gary

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We were on there for the STYX 9/27-10/2 cruise. As always before any cruise, I look to see who the piano bar player is. We enjoy being there. But Hailey, she should just stay home. Oh, we have heard worse. I haven`t looked at the list for Feb. yet., but will soon before our cruise then.