Checking in before time on e-ticket

bridgetjonesni

Our e-tickets for our upcoming cruise say we can check in from 14:00 at Civitavecchia. However the ship docks that morning at 09:30. Is it likely we might be able to board earlier than 14:00 in reality? We have to check out of our hotel by 11:00 and will have all our luggage with us, so the sooner we can check in and board the ship, the better for us really, even if our cabins aren't ready yet. On previous cruises with other lines our documentation advised not to turn up until a certain time but when we arrived early, people had already been boarding for a while and indeed we were able to board early too. Is MSC similar or are they more stringent with timings? Grateful for your advice.

I usually check in about 11am. Have done this on all cruise lines including MSC in Europe and USA. Cabins are not always ready except on Carnival where Platinum and Diamonds can go straight to the cabin. Lunch is always available in the buffet.

I've never been able to get on as early as 11am and I have priority to get in first. I usually go around midday. Sometimes I have to wait about half an hour before boarding starts, mostly can check in right away. Even if they are not ready to srptart check in, they will take cases.

Citavecchia is not usually the main embarkation port, so won't be most oassengers leaving at that port. That should speed up things a bit.

They will let you on even if cabins are not ready.

What I would do is check out at 11am and head to the port, drop off your luggage. See how many people are waiting in the terminal and have a chat to a rep. They will tell you how it's going. If it's going to be a long boarding time you can always go for a walk, or get a taxi somewhere for an hour and then head back and you won't have to drag your luggage around. In all likelihood though there won't be a wait and they'll get people on as soon as possible.

Where did you get your e-ticket? If I fill in the web check-in on the MSC website I get a form to hand in but it doesn't give me any boarding instructions, and my travel agency can't help!

The same happened to me. I read to go to Facebook and ask for them and luggage tags, and I got them within 15 min. Everything else failed. Hope this works for you.

Where did you get your e-ticket? If I fill in the web check-in on the MSC website I get a form to hand in but it doesn't give me any boarding instructions, and my travel agency can't help!

They get emailed to you. In the UK they are sent to the TA if you use one or directly to you. They are usually issued around 11 to 20 days before sailing.

Your TA really should be able to help you. They made the booking on your behalf. It is their job to get you your tickets.

I booked directly with MSC so I'm not sure how it works if you book via a travel agency unfortunately. For me, I logged in to My MSC, then completed the online check-in for both our cabins, and then when I went into the 'Manage My Reservation' section I was able to click on a link that says "Please, click here to request your e-ticket", which sent a copy to my email address. When I spoke to someone from customer services on the phone recently she was surprised I was able to do this more than 21 days before our cruise, so perhaps it's a timing issue?

I can't find a 'manage my reservation' button - maybe it's only available if you book direct. I agree that my travel agent should sort it, but I spent half an hour on the phone this afternoon whilst the girl did what I'd already done on the website, and couldn't offer any further suggestions! (In fact I was talking her through what to do!😲