You Never Forget Your First . . .

Calgon1

My Husband and I said on the Dream in 2006. I think the part I remember the most was that we won a set of pearls at a jewelry show/ sale. My first set of real pearls.

The Norwegian Dream (with her new bow) -

Built in 1992, Norwegian Dream – then called Dreamward – was the first newbuild for NCL since the launch of the Seaward in 1988. While she was a good ship and carried many very satisfied passengers, she had a dark side. Maybe just "bad luck", she apparently had a propensity for having "head on"collisions with container vessels. On August 24, 1999, the Dream collided with the container ship Ever Decent outside of Dover, England. This knocked containers from the Ever Decent into the sea, and crushed the Norwegian Dream‘s bow.

On December 10, 2007, the Dream once again ran into trouble: departing from Montevideo, Uruguay, she collided with a barge carrying cars and containers. Once again, the Dream‘s bow was damaged, though not as heavily as in 1999, and containers and cars from the barge plunged into the channel.

While most cruise ships have an average life span of forty years, apparently 17 years was enough for NCL. In 2008, she was laid up at anchor, first in the Bahamas, then off of Piraeus, Greece, since November 2008. In late 2012, she was transferred to the fleet of Star Cruises and renamed SuperStar Gemini.

1489891_zps6dd196f6.jpg

Edited by Calgon1