You Never Forget Your First . . .

Calgon1

Not a cruise as we know them today, but out of my first year salary as a teacher in the '60s, I took my mother on a "cruise" on MacBrayne's ferry "Columba", sailing round the Scottish Hebridean Islands from Oban. The ferry did her normal passage from island to island, and coaches were waiting for the cruisers at each place, to see inland. It was bunk beds, shared shower/ toilet areas, and much too much salmon, haggis and whisky.... We did this two years running, with a different itinerary.

Now Columba sails under the name Hebridean Princess, and is one of the most luxurious and expensive cruise ships afloat. The Queen has chartered her twice for family cruises.

(Sorry, I can't post any pictures of her)

Will this work?

Columbia_zps78d48b86.jpg

Edited by Calgon1

My first cruise was with my Dad in 1995. I got married that year, but this was a Father/Daughter cruise just before I got married. We were on the Carnival Ecstasy.

Here's the Ecstasy, back in September 2005, trying to outrun Hurricane Rita.

CarnivayEcstacy_zpsd46f8c5e.jpg

Edited by Calgon1

Here's the Ecstasy, back in September 2005, trying to outrun Hurricane Rita.

OH MY!! I am very glad our first cruise didn't include the ship going thru seas like that. I may never have gotten back on one! :eek:

Of course, I did cross the Irish sea in a small ferry in gale force winds and not get sick, so maybe I'd have kept my sea legs. Doubtful, though! :D

Carnival's Carnivale in 1988. It was a couple of months before my ex and I broke up.

http://worldshipny.com/images/carnivale.jpg

I can't believe I sent back for a second cruise with my current husband the following year. It was on NCL's Seaward.

http://worldshipny.com/images/carnivale.jpg

We've taken 30 cruises since that first one together.

Wow! DW and I took our first cruise on the Carnivale back in May 1991 out of San Juan. Flew in from STL non stop to SJ on TWA. I remember our first stop in St Thomas, she had a drink on the beach, it was Mother's Day. DW had asked me for years to go on a cruise, I finally gave in and ever since got the cruise bug, now I'm the one scheduling cruises for us. What a wonderful cruise it was and sad to find out, the Carnivale was finally put out of service just a few years ago. Max passengers (950) but at the time I didn't think the ship was small at all.

Edited by JTBCruiser

The Homeric -

Began life in 1931 as the Mariposa (butterfly) for the Matson Lines. In 1953 she was sold to the Home Lines and rechristened the Homeric. She suffered a major galley/dining room fire in 1973 and was scrapped in 1974.

Carmania_zps17c8fde3.jpg

I sailed Homeric in '55, a wonderful ship. Free wine at lunch and dinner, and hard liquor was 10c a drink, in those days tax free was TAX FREE!!!

On the final day I pulled out my drawer to see that nothing had fallen behind, well there were scent bottles lined up in a neat row, doubtless the cabin lads, by the look on his face when I confronted him.

After the fire she was replaced by a brand new ship with the first sliding roof over the swimming pool to sail the seas. She was sold in the late '80s to Holland America, re named Westerdam. Great ship, she was used in the movie, 'Out to Sea', with Jack Lemmon. One fault, she had no balconies!

john

Royal Caribbean Song Of America in 1986. Honeymoon with my 1st wife .

In its day, 'Song of America' was advised as the best ship for first time cruisers,[ it was my second].

A strange little fact about her, in the late '90s because of the bar and lounge that wrapped about her funnel she was the tallest ship afloat.

john

In its day, 'Song of America' was advised as the best ship for first time cruisers,[ it was my second].

A strange little fact about her, in the late '90s because of the bar and lounge that wrapped about her funnel she was the tallest ship afloat.

john

Although nothing like what we cruise on today with all the ammenities . It really was a beautiful ship. We had such a great time.

We were kids back then, and everyone warned us a cruise would be nothing but old people.

We must have gotten lucky because the majority of that cruise was young Newlyweds. We met so many nice couples and hung around with them all week.

Sadly a fabulous honeymoon didn't lead to a fabulous marriage. But I did get 2 wonderful kids out of it, and the like the old song says It really is better the second time around *LOL*

The SS France (aka: SS Norway) -

SS Norway was the one ship that I disliked, she appeared to be well past her prime when I was on her, and I stated as much on my comment card. Had she been looked after properly those engineers would not have lost their lives when the explosion occurred.

Her one saving grace was the theater, that was great.

john

Actually I have forgotten my first but I was only about two years old. The first cruise I remember was in 1960 on the Evangeline. It was a three day cruise from Florida to Nassau. I loved it although the ship was old. Unfortunately, a few years later, after she was sold and renamed Yarmouth Castle, she caught fire and sank with about 90 casualties.

Edited by Scrapnana

Wow! DW and I took our first cruise on the Carnivale back in May 1991 out of San Juan. Flew in from STL non stop to SJ on TWA. I remember our first stop in St Thomas, she had a drink on the beach, it was Mother's Day. DW had asked me for years to go on a cruise, I finally gave in and ever since got the cruise bug, now I'm the one scheduling cruises for us. What a wonderful cruise it was and sad to find out, the Carnivale was finally put out of service just a few years ago. Max passengers (950) but at the time I didn't think the ship was small at all.

Carnival's Carnivale -

Carnivale was built as the Empress of Britain in 1956 by Fairfields of Glasgow. She was sold to the Greek Liine, and re-entered service for them as Queen Anna Maria in 1965, running a fortnightly service to New York calling at Naples and Lisbon. Following the collapse of the Greek Line, she was sold to Carnival, in 1975 as the Carnivale. Following the numerous new deliveries to Carnival, she was transferred to subsidiary Fiesta Marine Cruises as Fiesta Marina She was sold again in 1994 to Epirotiki as Olympia, and has recently been on charter to British tour company Thompson as the Topaz.

carnivale_zpsb2063988.jpg

Actually I have forgotten my first but I was only about two years old. The first cruise I remember was in 1960 on the Evangeline. It was a three day cruise from Florida to Nassau. I loved it although the ship was old. Unfortunately, a few years later, after she was sold and renamed Yarmouth Castle, she caught fire and sank with about 90 casualties.

The Evangeline -

The Evangeline, and her sister, the Yarmouth were built by William Cramp of Philadelphia in 1927. They were acquired from Eastern Steamship Lines by F.L.Fraser in 1954. The Evangeline was given a more substantial refit than was Yarmouth Castle initially. Her routes were from Miami, West Indies, Caribbean & South America. 7-Day from $130, 10-Day from $190, 14-Day from $260"

Evangeline01_zps24ecbff2.jpg

The Evangeline and Yarmouth were sold in 1961 to the Yarmouth Steamship Company, and operated in competition out of Miami. The Evangeline was renamed Yarmouth Castle. The Yarmouth Castle was lost to fire in 1965, which hastened the demise of the company.

Great thread. My first cruise was with my mother in 1997 on Carnival Destiny. She was at that time the world's largest cruise ship - and yes she sure looked huge next to the other cruise ships we ported with that week. I got to see her again back in 2012 and she just didn't look that big anymore (there are numerous Goliaths out there now). Shortly thereafter, she was hauled in for a "makeover" and renamed the Sunshine.

I will never forget that week with my mom. It was the best time for both of us. I remember lounging late one night with her on the Promenade enjoying the sound of the ocean - both of us totally relaxed for the first time in years if not indeed the first time ever. My mom said that everyone should get to experience this at least once in their life. Sadly, that was the only cruise my mom ever took as she passed before she could take another. Since then every cruise, I always take the time to spend a few moments one night on the Promenade and remember.

This thread has been very interesting.

My first I was a teenager and sailed the Majesty of the Seas sailing a 7 day Caribbean itinerary. Soda at dinner was still included and a set dinning time for breakfast as well as dinner. My first plane trip as well to get there so I remember being very excited.

For.my husband: we went with my then boyfriend now hubby, my parents and my sister with her then boyfriend and now husband on Enchantment of the Seas in 2002. We addicted the boys to cruising and still take family trips together.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Great thread. My first cruise was with my mother in 1997 on Carnival Destiny. She was at that time the world's largest cruise ship - and yes she sure looked huge next to the other cruise ships we ported with that week. I got to see her again back in 2012 and she just didn't look that big anymore (there are numerous Goliaths out there now). Shortly thereafter, she was hauled in for a "makeover" and renamed the Sunshine.

Carnival Destiny/Sunshine-

Carnival-Sunshine-before-and-after_zps289ad13d.jpg

Carnival Sunshine is a cruise ship owned and operated by Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL), originally built as the Carnival Destiny. Upon entering service in 1996, she was the first cruise ship to break the 100,000 ton mark; and namesake of the 5 ship Destiny Class (CCL Triumph and Victory and the Costa Fortuna and Magica) . . .

My first I was a teenager and sailed the Majesty of the Seas sailing a 7 day Caribbean itinerary. Soda at dinner was still included and a set dinning time for breakfast as well as dinner. My first plane trip as well to get there so I remember being very excited.

Majesty of the Seas -

When she was launched in 1992 by Queen Sonja if Norway, Majesty of the Seas was amongst the largest cruise ships in the world. Now, at 74,000 tons, she is dwarfed by her fellow RCL ships, Majesty has become one of the smallest ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet. She regularly sails out of Miami, Florida (RCL's home) to voyage the Bahamas, often stopping off at Royal Caribbean's private island retreat CocoCay, one of the Berry Islands close to the popular destination of Nassau.

MajestyOTS_zps45bb92c6.jpg

For.my husband: we went with my then boyfriend now hubby, my parents and my sister with her then boyfriend and now husband on Enchantment of the Seas in 2002. We addicted the boys to cruising and still take family trips together.

In May 2005, the Enchantment of the Seas was overhauled. Part of overhaul included stretching the vessel by cutting it in two amidship and adding a 73-foot (22 m) long section. Enchantment of the Seas entered dry dock on 15 May 2005. The mid-body extension section was built ahead of time, allowing the construction to be done in just over a month. The ship resumed service on July 7, 2005, less than two months after entering dry dock. The new section included 151 new staterooms, outdoor trampoline bungees, suspension bridges, an expanded pool area, a 64-jet interactive fountain area for kids, and floor windows allowing an unobstructed view of the ocean below.

enchantment2005stretch_zpsdd794e7e.jpg

Royal Olympic Countess Tried to post a pic but wasn't successful :(

OlympicCountess01_zps80a5ed09.jpg

Launched by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen in 1974, Cunard Countess was moved to La Spezia for fitting out, entering service in August 1976. She originally had a white funnel like the

Cunard Adventurer, which she replaced in service. Cunard Countess was given Cunard funnel colours in 1980. In 1982/83 she was used as a troop ship during the Falklands conflict. Cunard Countess was sold to Royal Olympic in 1997 becoming the Olympic Countess (later Olympia Countess). Following the collapse of Royal Olympia in 2004, Olympia Countess was bought by Majestic International Cruises. She was chartered to Globalia in 2005, and to the German tour opeartor Holiday Kreuzfahrten in 2006, as Lili Marleen. Holiday Kreuzfahrten failed later in 2006.

OlympicCountess02_zps9a4bd06d.jpeg

Thanks Calgon1!!!! I wish I could say this cruise turned me on to cruising but it was so port intensive (5 ports in 4 days!) as well as it was cold when we went so no pools or hot tubs open. I also discovered that I suffer from severe motion sickness on this cruise ( thankfully I have discovered Bonine). It wasn't until I took a Caribbean cruise aboard the Carnival Sensation that I was hooked!

My first cruise was a 1980 NY to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico trip on the QE2 with my future husband with a group of friends. My girlfriend's dad worked for Cunard and we paid $450 for a first clas stateroom with the first class dining room. We were students at the time and could not believe how fortunate we were! Our second cruise was 30 years later!:)

My first cruise was in 2003 on Carnival Elation to the Mexican Riviera. We spent a great deal of time on a small public deck on the stern, watching the wake. I remember my husband and I looking down at the balconies below and saying "some day..." We've since sailed in an aft wrap. It's always nice to accomplish dreams!

DHs first was on the USCG cutter Morgenthau. Accommodations have improved significantly in the private sector ;)

My first cruise was a 1980 NY to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico trip on the QE2 with my future husband with a group of friends. My girlfriend's dad worked for Cunard and we paid $450 for a first clas stateroom with the first class dining room. We were students at the time and could not believe how fortunate we were! Our second cruise was 30 years later!:)

The RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Queen Elizabeth 2 (or QE2 as she was almost always referred to) was launched in 1967 by the Queen at the famous John Brown's Shipyard in Clydebank, near Glasgow, Scotland and began her long, long service life in May 1969, She was well known as the flagship of the Cunard Line for nearly 40 years. QE2 was one of the last great Transatlantic liners. At 70,327 tons and 963 feet long with a top speed of 32.5 knots she was also one of the fastest and grandest passenger vessels ever built. She traveled nearly 6 million miles (further than any other ship ever) before retiring to Dubai in November 2008.

RMSQEII_zps7746d22c.jpg

Edited by Calgon1

My first cruise was in 2003 on Carnival Elation to the Mexican Riviera. We spent a great deal of time on a small public deck on the stern, watching the wake. I remember my husband and I looking down at the balconies below and saying "some day..." We've since sailed in an aft wrap. It's always nice to accomplish dreams!

DHs first was on the USCG cutter Morgenthau. Accommodations have improved significantly in the private sector ;)

Carnival Elation -

A Fantasy class ship, she currently sails year round on four- and five-day cruises to the Western Caribbean. She was the first cruise ship to be equipped with an Azipod propulsion system. She has been retrofitted with part of, but not all the Carnival "Evolutions of Fun" upgrades. The adults-only Serenity area has been installed, but not the WaterWorks water park. She also has only 28 balconies installed, all of these on the sixth deck.

Elation_zpsa131474d.jpg