RFID wallet, worth it or waste?

webetraveling

You're right, I was confused at the time. Chip and PIN is a different technology which cannot be read without the card being inserted in a card reader. RFID is the technology that Chase calls "Blink" and other issuers give other names, which allows you to wave your card near a card reader instead of inserting it. It turns out I have several of these in my wallet, even though I have never used them -- and other than at gas stations don't recall ever seeing such a terminal. But since I do have more than one, the point of the Snopes article is still valid: the potential for thieves to skim this data from my wallet is cancelled by the presence of more than 1 RFID card. So there is no need to replace my wallet. If you Google "RFID Wallet" you'll also find an article from Consumer Reports that compared a homemade wallet (from duck tape and aluminum foil -- if you can pry it out of the hands of your local alien-paranoid-conspiracy-theorist) that was more effective than 80% of the anti-RFID wallets they tested. ["Our reporter offered her own homemade shield constructed of duct tape and lined with aluminium foil. It provided better protection than eight of the 10 commercial products, including a stainless-steel “RFID blocking” wallet selling online for about $60."]

At least with a duct tape wallet, I would preserve my macho cred -- much better than wearing a wallet around my neck.

WAIT, Jazz.

I always thought you were a man because of the "Beau." However, I have been reading your River Cruising Blog - so nice, thank you - it is so helpful. In your Blog, you speak of Jazzbelle. You wife? :confused:

Now I am more cornfused than ever. :eek:

For years, I have been using the Stronghold for my passaporta. It is getting frayed and now I see they are on sale. Time to re-order. ;)

I have one for my USNR-R I.D. card, which has my entire medical record on the reverse. The Navy gave me the RFID sleeve with my grey card. :D

http://www.idstronghold.com/designer-passport-sleeve-2-pack-swirls.asp

$4.50 - Designer Passport Sleeve 2 Pk Swirls Collection: Designed to protect a single passport embedded with a wireless chip. Protects you against identity theft, tracking and other unauthorized reads. Safe travels: 50% off! Identity Stronghold Secure Sleeves® are listed on the United States Government Services Administration (GSA) FIPS 201 Approved Products List as meeting the requirements of preventing the reading of contactless RFID chips.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Fits ISO7810 ID-3 size passport (Includes US, UK, Australia and others)

Made of high quality advanced paper material

Weather- and water-resistant (within reason)

Puncture- and tear-resistant (within reason)

Available to Consumer, Corporate, Government, Financial and Education markets

Custom printing available

Dimensions: 5-1/8" x 3-7/8"

Secure Sleeves® for Passports in Great NEW Design Collections: Paper Tyger® Defender™ Sleeves now available in ten (10) new design collections. Each collection comes as a two-pack and each sleeve in the pack is a different design. Choose from: Nebulas, Sunsets, Bubbles, Wood-Look, Safari, Camo, Leather-Look, Floral, Swirls and Damask. Designed to protect a single passport embedded with a wireless chip. Protects you against identity theft, tracking and other unauthorized reads. Note: All US Passports since October 2006 contain an RFID chip that holds all the data from the information page including your picture in digital format.

WAIT, Jazz.

I always thought you were a man because of the "Beau." However, I have been reading your River Cruising Blog - so nice, thank you - it is so helpful. In your Blog, you speak of Jazzbelle. You wife? :confused:

Now I am more cornfused than ever.

Thanks for the nice comments. Now, to clear up your cornfusion:

I am Jazzbeau (male); DW is Jazzbelle (female). We both like to cruise, and then we are the Jazzbeaux (couple).

Savvy?

For anyone that's interested, I think it was QVC or HSN that had the Travelsmith RFID wallets (not the passport kind but regular wallets) on sale today. I went to Travelsmith's site and got them for 30% off with free shipping - much less than they were on TV. :D I had to get 2 of them for my sons - just to keep their credit cards a little safer.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Thanks for the nice comments. Now, to clear up your confusion: I am Jazzbeau (male); DW is Jazzbelle (female). We both like to cruise, and then we are the Jazzbeaux (couple). Savvy?

Got it. Thanks Jazz-AllYouGuys. ;)

I also bought the StrongHold today cuz they had a sale and if you sign up for their newsletter, you get a 10% off code.

Look at this U-Tube. Lots of funny comments. :eek:

How to disable RFID chip in credit or debit cards

Published on 28 May 2012: In newer credit and debit cards there is a RFID / NFC chip that allows you to use your card at stores without swiping the magnetic strip. It works by radio waves and is usually only good for around 6" or closer to the receiver. The problem with this is it's a security problem as anyone with a small hand-held scanner can grab your information when they wave it by your back pocket. Also, I have noticed that whenever you use this feature, the transaction defaults to credit, not debit. All you have to do is look on your credit / debit card in the reflection, and it will be a small indent in the plastic about 2 millimetre square. Simply punch a hole through it and you will hear the chip crack. Once you do that, the RFID chip is disabled and will no longer function. The magnetic strip will still work.

With US chip cards you do not need it ..

I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying that US-based RFID cards don't require scanning protection? From what I understand, Non-US don't need protection. However, US RFID chipped cards, you most certainly do. Please forgive me if I've mis-read your statement.