Is this stupid-crazy or doable? (Day's agenda)

Quixotic

Trying to figure out if this is reasonable, or if I have lost my mind. Experienced folks with past visits to Key West ... please weigh in.

Will arrive to Key West (Pier B) on Grandeur on November 26. Scheduled to arrive 9 AM and depart 5 PM.

Is this doable?

* Fury Parasailing (am told it's an hour round-trip?)

* Lunch on the water, somewhere (Sunset Pier? Hot Tin Roof?)

* Hemingway House

* Butterfly Conservatory

* Stop for slice of key lime pie

* Visit the Pelican Poop store for souvenir (my son loves anything with the word "poop" in it -- he's 10)

* Photo opp at Southernmost Point

Yay or nay?

Edited by Quixotic

Pelican Poop is on one side of Key West and the Southernmost Point on another.

The lunch spots you mention are at a different part of Key West than Hemingway House and the Butterfly Conservatory. The Butterfly Conserv. is very close to the Southernmost Point.

If you arrive at 9:00AM, you probably won't be off until 9:30. If you leave at 5:00PM, you will probably have to be on board by 4:30PM.

You can find good maps of Key West on line, so you can plot your schedule based on where attractions are. You might have to rearrange schedules to reduce some of the travel and not have to rush. Traffic can be slow in Key West if there are two or three ships in town or there is some big festival.

You have set a busy schedule and you might not be able to control times because, for example, Hemingway House tours are scheduled and you might have a long wait for the next tour or no wait at all depending on the situation.

Your schedule is ambitious but you can do it. I like a more relaxed port call myself, but that's just me. Are you planning on walking to the various points? If you get pressed for time, drop out the Pelican Poop shop. Also you'll most likely be able to get key lime pie at the restaurant where you eat.

Trying to figure out if this is reasonable, or if I have lost my mind. Experienced folks with past visits to Key West ... please weigh in.

Will arrive to Key West (Pier B) on Grandeur on November 26. Scheduled to arrive 9 AM and depart 5 PM.

Is this doable?

* Fury Parasailing (am told it's an hour round-trip?)

* Lunch on the water, somewhere (Sunset Pier? Hot Tin Roof?)

* Hemingway House

* Butterfly Conservatory

* Stop for slice of key lime pie

* Visit the Pelican Poop store for souvenir (my son loves anything with the word "poop" in it -- he's 10)

* Photo opp at Southernmost Point

Yay or nay?

I'd add on an extra 45 mins or so just in case for the parasailing (people may move slower, check in, pictures, etc.)

Hemingway house can be self-guided and is a few blocks (about a 15 min walk) from the Southernmost Pointand the Butteryfly Conserv.. The Southernmost Point can get a bit busy. Last time I was there, my DH and I stood in line for about 45 mins to get a quick photo.

For the Butterfly Conserv. it's a guided path that can take a while depending on how many people are there and how long you spend there.

Key Lime Pie can be a quick grab on the walk back to the ship.

As for the rest, you just have to think of travel time between everything. It can be doable but definitely a lot. Might want to think of cutting something(s) out to do the remainder leisurely.

If you make it to Pelican Poop and buy something, you can take the short tour of the Casa Antigua's garden. The building used to be a car dealership with a few rooms on the second floor. It's where Ernest and Pauline stayed when they first came to Key West and the garden has several orchids. The tour takes maybe 15 minutes and is worth it.

Pjk

You have set a busy schedule and you might not be able to control times because, for example, Hemingway House tours are scheduled and you might have a long wait for the next tour or no wait at all depending on the situation.

Not so. You can do a self-guided tour rather than tour with one of the guides.

So we signed up for the 10 AM Fuly parasail time slot. Then we'll have this "plan" for the rest of the day but drop off things that we run out of time to do.

Hemingway House is because my son is obsessed with cats and will love the place.

Butterfly Conservatory is because my daughter and in-laws love gardens and nature. We may skip this one if we are running short on time because we have done butterfly conservatories in other places so it's not "new" for us. The Smithsonian has (had?) a great butterfly conservatory that we did a few years back.