Jewel differences in Aft or Forward facing suite on deck 9?

Susie51

We have been in a forward facing suit, but have the opportunity to book an aft facing suite on Jewel. What are the differences?

We liked the huge balcony on the forward facing suite, but it was very windy and hard to open the door to the balcony when the ship was at sea.

We had some friends in a forward suite on the Jewel's sister ship, the Pearl, and I've been in the aft suite on the Jewel. I didn't like the forward suite as much, as there is a large picture window, then a bulkhead door to go out onto the deck. Felt more closed in. The balcony was larger, but it rained so they had limited usage of it then, not to mention the wind and having to keep exterior lights off and curtains closed at night so the bridge did not have light coming up to them after dark.

In the aft, our balcony was covered enough that we could be out on it during rain and stay dry, but granted we didn't go out there for sitting during the rain, just to look out and/or take pictures. It seemed more open and light since the large sliding-glass door was across most of the back.

I've never experienced ashes/soot that some people have talked about on occasion, and you aren't subject to people from Great Outdoors throwing things down on you if you are on the second deck down rather the uppermost deck of aft cabins. We did experience the wonderful smells from the bakery that would waft up from below in the evenings; it would often instigate a trip to the buffet to get some cookies for a late-night snack!

I'd pick aft over forward every time, JMHO.

Good luck with your choice.

Yes' date=' it is. I liked that about the closet, too. DH could get ready while I was at the makeup area, which I took over for the 7 days![/quote']

Closet forward on the Jewel is great. Our OS balcony was nice when docked, but really too windy when underway. One night there was heavy rain and the carpeting all around the balcony door was soaked.

Yes' date=' it is. I liked that about the closet, too. DH could get ready while I was at the makeup area, which I took over for the 7 days![/quote']

Thank you for your help. I'm going to check to see if it is still available.

We did a forward suite on the Star through the Panama Canal, it was great for that.

Otherwise, it was a big deck, no shade, windy, hard to sit out there and enjoy it a lot.

Big door has to be closed, and curtains closed at nite. The ceiling tiles would shake when front door is open. If you open front door and cabin hallway door, you will create horrible winds.

Since, we have done the aft suites, and really like them.

Such a different experience at the aft, versus the side balconies. The ships wake is very comforting to see and listen to. Have our next 3 cruises booked for afts.

Would only book a fore suite for something like the Canal.

Hope this helps.

;)

I did both a forward and aft penthouse suite

I prefer forward.

I think the suite is bigger, the balcony is much larger and I enjoy seeing where we are headed not necessarily where we have been

Only drawback is you are right under the bridge and everyone up there can look down and see you on your balcony

You can't go wrong no matter which you choose

Enjoy!!

We did the forward penthouse on Pearl last year and liked it so much we went for the same on deck 9 of Jade next summer.

Found it quite, no noise from the engines so didn't get woken up early when docking.

Wind wasn't a problem, there is a solid railing in front about 3ft and solid dividers that gave you privacy, we didn't really feel any undue breeze.

And not being allowed to have lights on at night was actually a bonus. With the wide open balcony we were able to sit out with drinks and star watch.

But mostly it was the lack of engine noise and vibration that was the plus, and the huge balcony