Cowpet Bay surf and taxi questions

Z-Bird

We will be in St Thomas on Nov. 25 and plan on going to Cowpet Bay to snorkel with our own equipment. If anyone can help out with a few questions we have, it would be really appreciated!

1. Our ship docks at Havensight. How much should a taxi cost pp to Cowpet Bay? Where should we ask to be dropped off to access the best snorkel places? We'd like to go to the area where sea turtles frequent along with the other great snorkeling there. Walking long distances is not an option for us.

2. We have read that if the wind is coming in from the southwest that snorkeling can be quite rough on this end of the island. Can anyone suggest the best way to tell what the surf conditions are at Cowpet before we taxi over there?

3. If conditions are poor at Cowpet for snorkeling, what would be a good alternative on the north side of the island? Looking for the best snorkeling close in and basic amenities like chairs, a bathroom, and a snack bar. There is only 1 other cruise ship in that day.

The taxi should drop you off at the beach, next to Sangria's. The main snorkeling is to your left, along the rocks. The turtles hang out in the middle of the yacht club mooring field, but look wherever you see turtle grass. The wind would have to be pretty far south of east to cause problems in the bay. They are typically easterly, and in the fall/winter maybe more north of east. I'd say Sapphire or Coki for your back up...

Thanks!

My concerns about rough surf at Cowpet was based on an excellent blog post from this time last year that indicated rough waters occasionally there at that time. Is there any place near where we are docking that could give us an update on conditions before we go over there?

Also, are taxis plentiful around Sangrias for the ride back?

To start with your last question, I'd ask the driver who drops you off if s/he will pick you up. As to the rough water, the taxi drivers will know if there is a north swell. Not sure if they will know about southerly weather. Hmm...Can you check the weather through an app or through the ship? Southeasterly winds are not usual.

I would not rely on a taxi driver for weather conditions. Your best bet would be the local newspaper which is available at Gourmet Gallery at both docks. Predicted wind speeds, directions, and advisories can be found in the weather section.

I reference this source when staying on STT. The Abbreviated Marine Forecast under the USVI section is especially useful for waves/surges affecting STT, STJ, and PV. As noted the papers and of course the current weather station forecast are useful as well.

http://www.weathercarib.com/

We'd ask a driver to return at a specific time as many do this, if no show call one. Just give yourself time. I believe taxis may also pass by there picking up folks from Secret Harbor.

Edited by blue_water

Yes they operate on a set fee schedule, the rate from Havensight to Cowpet/Elysian Beach and the other East End beaches like Secret Harbor, Sapphire, or Coki is $10pp each way, a little more from Crown Bay.

Edited by blue_water

Thank you! Last question on this subject from me is: Are there lockers at Cowpet Bay near Sangria's? I've got prescription sunglasses and wouldn't want to leave them on the beach while we snorkel.

I didn't see any there 2 years ago but if not you could always leave them with the bartender/server for safekeeping if you felt comfortable with that? Perhaps someone else has an alternative. The bags that can be secured to your chair and locked are popular options for busier beaches like Coki, but Cowpet should be pretty quiet.