Live from the Shadow - Papeete to Valpo

Silver Spectre

4 days @ sea until we get to Robinson Crusoe Island. Lots of lectures, at least 3 a day, and various other usual activities that are keeping everyone busy. There are lots of naps being taken since we have lost 5 hours over the last 7 nights, I think, and we are not done yet! The weather has turned chilly and damp, the sea is extremely calm. Guess I Better start thinking about packing!

Still about 650 miles to go until Robinson Crusoe Island. Overcast and dank day. Great show by the Artists last night showcasing the music of Burt Bacharat. Jimmy K finally admitted defeat on a Trivia question and is undertaking his forfeit this evening, wish I could post his photo's of shame on here.

Still sailing nowhere to nowhere, Jimmy K forfeit postponed until tomorrow. Only those on the bridge visit this morning saw the small pod of small jet black dolphins that buzzed the ship. The first sea life that has been spotted for days.

So far no more Hoegaarden (except the 6 bottles found in the Butler provision store yesterday), no Cointreau, no NZ Sav Blanc, no White Chocolate Grappa (except my bottle), no Bacardi rum as of yesterday, and so little gin that if a fourth person asks for a G&T in the Panorama tonight its overboard for the bartender.

Captains farewell and crew parade tonight, lots of 1/4ly on-board rewards, always a great event.

Looking good for RCI tomorrow am and then its packing time.

Oh yeh, down to 278 pax and 289 crew, those are numbers I like!

Mr. Spectre, enjoying your posts as I sit here at home, commiserating as I sip my Bottega white chocolate grappa. Hope to be aboard with you again and share a bottle before too long.

Dieter

Thanks Dieter, shame they messed up the CT to Ft Laud segment for next year. We have drunk 3/4 of it now.

Asked for 20 year anniversary Pino Grigio last evening, having been told we had floods of the stuff when we embarked, to be told that it and the Pouilly Fume are all gone, and we are now short of port.

May be reduced to drinking water!!

Coolish sea day today (14c when I got up), but there is still a little sun. Great cooking competition this morning, Gilbert who is leaving after 4 months tomorrow was completely off the chart, but still beat Riccardo Dotti.

Somewhat rocky last night and howling winds in the middle of the night.

All the wine waiters are hiding as we run dry of just about everything that is palatable. The wine container had better be in Valpo tomorrow or there will be riots.

Wonderful visit to RC Island yesterday, wet to start and then the sun came out. Saw hummingbirds, ate RCI spiny lobster (delicious) for lunch with a local beer and then a pisco sour. Wonderful setting and thoroughly enjoyed.

Beautiful sail-away with the island bathed in silver sunlight, made all the better by a whale giving us a bravura performance as we left.

Our day was just as terrific! Started the day with the Breakfast of Champions - Pisco Sours, lobster and local crab! Walked around a bit. There was a tsunami since our last visit and the town has been rebuilt, very nicely, with a welcoming central square. Our swan song with the Artists of SS last evening, Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Still not my favorite but this group has a lot of talent and actually looks like they are enjoying themselves. Thank you all for the couple of years of fun and music. As Hi Ho Silver mentioned, the cook off today was a bit odd but good fun. Not much got produced by the Exec Chef! A good time was had by all. Off to the final bloodbath of Trivia! May the Archipelagos and the Cosmos continue their reign!

Thanks Dieter, shame they messed up the CT to Ft Laud segment for next year. We have drunk 3/4 of it now.

Asked for 20 year anniversary Pino Grigio last evening, having been told we had floods of the stuff when we embarked, to be told that it and the Pouilly Fume are all gone, and we are now short of port.

May be reduced to drinking water!!

You are making me twitch! Perish the thought!

Glad to read you were able to step foot in Adamstown. Very few cruise ships will risk passengers going ashore. We landed there quite a few years ago with Shadow. Captain received an ovation when entering MDR that evening.

At the time, they had to let the prison population out to take the islanders to the ship. Robinson Crusoe Island is totally cool.....fun lobster.

Arrived Santiago via a very comfortable coach thru the Casablanca Valley. This fertile area of vineyards lies between the Andes and the coastal mountains. Nice ride. Santiago is absolutely gridlock with lots of road construction. We have. A 11:20 PM flight, so wish us well. Did I mention it was a great cruise?!