First South American Cruise

bunzini

This is our first South American cruise too!

We're taking the Star Princess, Cape Horn Route to Rio, 4Jan-18Jan2016. Spending 6 pre-cruise days (4 at Rio and 2 at Iguazu) and 2 post cruise days at Santiago (Valparaiso). Reminder: Start early on Brazilian visa application. Argentina visa can be done online with a reciprocity fee of $160 and Chilean visa is not required.

We ended up booking that 2016 Christmas cruise on the NCL Sun out of Buenos Aires. It will take us to a number of new ports, including Santos, Montevideo and Punta del Este, plus beach towns. It will be interesting to see how South Americans celebrate Christmas and New Year's. (I used to live in South Africa, so I have an idea about the southern hemisphere).

Now, if we had money, we might consider this one as well. Maybe you should: Buenos Aires , Rio and Salvador do Bahia. Quite wonderful.

19 Days Caribbean-Southern

Princess Cruises • Crown Princess

Buenos Aires (overnight), Rio de Janeiro (overnight), Salvador, Barbados/Bridgetown, Fort-de-France, St. John's/Antigua, Saint Kitts, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Mar 1 2017

Inside from

$1839

$97 per day

OceanView from

$2079

$109 per day

Balcony from

$2899

$153 per day

Suite from

$3759

$198 per day

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone thinking of rounding the Horn really should try to include the Falklands: they really are very special. Stanley is a lovely place to explore. It's very British, very quirky.

Bluff Cove Lagoon is an excellent excursion for penguins and the drive out there with a local driver is excellent.

In Buenos Aires we had an excellent guide in Pedro Werberg (http://www.amigodebuenosaires.com) and in Montevideo Liz Cowley (http://www.realenglishtours.com) put together a great walking tour for us.

Hi, digitl,

Did you see King Penguins at Bluff Cove?

I did the Falklands in 2003, but can't recall where we went to see them. Thx!

Anyone thinking of rounding the Horn really should try to include the Falklands: they really are very special. Stanley is a lovely place to explore. It's very British, very quirky.

Bluff Cove Lagoon is an excellent excursion for penguins and the drive out there with a local driver is excellent.

In Buenos Aires we had an excellent guide in Pedro Werberg (http://www.amigodebuenosaires.com) and in Montevideo Liz Cowley (http://www.realenglishtours.com) put together a great walking tour for us.

Hi, digitl,

Did you see King Penguins at Bluff Cove?

I did the Falklands in 2003, but can't recall where we went to see them. Thx!

Yes, there were some Kings there, along with Gentoos and Magellanics. A few more Kings now I believe.

Since I last posted, I have canceled the 2016 fourteen-day Christmas/New Year cruise on the Norwegian Sun from Buenos Aires to Rio and back.

Instead, for 2016 I booked a HAL Zaandam Dec. 20 twenty-one-day Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise that includes the Antarctica. I did impulsively after finding my ideal cabin: H7083, an stern-facing OV with a small deck outside for a balcony. Only two of those on the ship.

Our ability to see the scenery straight out of our cabin delights us. And studying all the deck plans has given me all kinds of ideas for little-known gems. In fact, I'll be looking for those poor man's balcony cabins on future cruises as well.

Edited by barante