Long Day in Fort Lauderdale Post Cruise. What would you suggest?

cruisinmama!

We have a dilemma. We come off our Allure cruise on Feb 15th and don't fly out of FLL until 5:50 pm. I have scoured the boards for ideas on what to do and am really unsure what our best option is.

Our party consists of 4 adults a toddler and an infant. Thus, renting a big enough car for the day that would fit all of us and our luggage isn't really feasible. And the only day rate hotels we can find are either the Roadway inn or the Quality Inn in Hollywood, neither of which get very good reviews on CC. And the idea of trying to occupy a baby and a toddler for 7 hours in the airport sounds horrible...

We would be more than happy to just park our collective butts at a nice beach or pool for the day, but obviously dragging all of our luggage would be problematic at best.

Do any of you have any suggestions for what we should do? Should we just book a regular hotel and check out early? Should we risk the Rodeway Inn or Quality Inn? Should we just hang out at the airport for 7 hours? Should we book one of the FLL excursions through the cruiseline?

What would you do in our circumstance? :confused:

I'd choose Luggage Valet on the ship so your bags are taken care of, if your airline is on this list:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

Then you have the freedom to rent a minvan for the day. Some like to go to the Sawgrass Mills shopping mall.

Edited by clarea

That was actually my first thought, but I read somewhere here on CC that the airlines won't accept bags for flights that far out. Something like past four hours from disembarkation I think....

Otherwise that would be our first choice.

That might be. I know they have limits for how early a flight can be, so they might also have limits for how late a flight can be. Unfortunately, I don't think you will know that for sure until you are onboard.

Edited by clarea

Also, the luggage valet is not always offered. I was on Vision last week out of PE and they did not offer the valet service. Total let down.

Edited to add: You're on Allure so I would think they would most assuredly offer it.

Edited by aurelius180

I believe the limits are two hours.

I'm not sure about the hotel idea because you'll have to leave the hotel by 3:30 or so for a domestic flight. It would work if you book the hotel for the night before and get a late checkout but late checkouts are usually by 1PM.

You could always dump your bags with Bags to Go and then go jump on the water taxi. If you take your time and have breakfast on the ship and be the last ones off, you could jump on the water taxi at ten or so, ride it around, have brunch about 2PM, then head to the airport afterwards.

Your flight has to be by midnight to use the luggage valet.

We have the roadway inn booked, its a day room, they have a shuttle, and if you want to go somewhere else they will take you, like las olas. The day room is good from 10am till 6pm.

I will do a review here late December.

Your flight has to be by midnight to use the luggage valet.

We have the roadway inn booked, its a day room, they have a shuttle, and if you want to go somewhere else they will take you, like las olas. The day room is good from 10am till 6pm.

I will do a review here late December.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/zanhecht/IoS%20Departure_zpsofepw9cc.gif

We also have the same issue as Jet Blue changed our flight from 10:35am to 6:00pm.

I think a day room at Roadway Inn might be the way to go, their web-site is not clear whether they have a restaurant on site, anyone with first-hand experience? Also, is there anything within walking distance (like stores or movie theater) will have two young adults with us.

Thanks,

We also have the same issue as Jet Blue changed our flight from 10:35am to 6:00pm.

I think a day room at Roadway Inn might be the way to go, their web-site is not clear whether they have a restaurant on site, anyone with first-hand experience? Also, is there anything within walking distance (like stores or movie theater) will have two young adults with us.

Thanks,

Says they have a restaurant

http://www.dayuse-hotels.com/en/US/hotels-miami/rodeway-inn-suites-fort-lauderdale-airport-cruise-port.html

I read laundry and room service.....you could go home with clean clothes,enjoy a meal around the pool and chase the kids on a nice lawn...

We did a dayroom in stt once and it was great after all the stress and depression of packing and not wanting to leave...eased us back to reality.....will be checking in early in fll soon and plan to leave the ship with my bathing suit on and beach stuff ready to go.....I am a very poor waiter and can get a lot of fun in while waiting for the room.....enjoy your cruise with your little ones!