Beginner general questions for somewhat of a newbie

MalibooNewYork

We are planning a cruise on viking for next Fall "15". We are hoping to book the Danube Waltz cruise and I have some questions.

First: am I on the right forum. If not, would you please redirect me?

Second: what is the difference between std D and std E cabins?

Third: Is there any big difference as to what direction you cruise? Should I pick one way to go on the river over another?

Fourth: does it matter which airports you use for coming and going. I've read how some people hate a particular airport and tell others to avoid it at all costs.

I have only gone on the bordeaux wine and chateaux cruise and thanks to you people had a wonderful time. Really, any info you can give me will be well appreciated.

thank you.

Yes, you're on the right forum.

I think the only difference between D and E cabins is location and proximity to noisy areas. I've been in an E cabin and I've been fine. The only noise I heard was some waves slapping the side of the boat one night. I am usually a very sound sleeper, though, so if you're a light sleeper, you might have issues.

I don't think there is any difference as to which direction one cruises. They stop at the same ports either way.

As for airports, I've read some of those same reports and will be flying to one of the terrible ones next year. Maybe if you tell us which airports are closest to your embarkation/disembarkation ports we can help you. It will also depend on where you'll be coming from and the routing you can get. In my case, the shorter travel time (which is important to us) means flying to Frankfurt and then to Paris CDG.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

so, if I understand this correctly, D would be better than E probably because of a noise factor. I generally like to be away from stairs and/or elevators so I'll will probably choose D.

My question about airports was unclear. i was thinking of Frankfurt and/or Munich. I have read individual horror stories about both and was wondering about those two, specifically.

In the States, Dulles gives me the willies while my daughter says no airport is worse than Philadelphia.

Is there one specific ship that does the Danube Waltz cruise so that I can look at deck plans or do the ships switch off?

Go into the Viking web site -

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/danube-waltz/2015-budapest-passau/index.html

It appears the longships sail this cruise as well as the Legend and Prestige. The last two have a different layout so you'll need to pick one. Make sure you look at the pricing as well.

I been to Europe over 50 times using many of the airports and if I need to connect, I try and do it through Munich or Zurich. I find both "people friendly".

I've never had an issue with Frankfurt airport. And the one time I flew from Munich, I had to fly to Frankfurt to change planes for the flight to Alberta. I don't recall much about Munich airport so it must have been okay.

In recent years, I pre-arrange assistance for my mother, with whom I usually travel, so that makes quite a difference in airport experience. If you or your travelling companion may require some assistance, I highly recommend requesting it. It makes a huge difference in the airport experience (although it makes it challenging to go poking about in the airport/duty free shops!:rolleyes:).

I'm relieved about the airports. I guess everyone has stories to tell about their awful experiences.

From what I gather I won't be able to see the deck plan until I firmly pick a date so I know which ship we'll be using. I've only cruised the chateaux and wine cruise and there was only one ship involved.

thanks all. You've answered my questions.

You can find all the Viking deck plans on their website:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/ships/index.html

On most river boats, people report that there can be engine noise in the rearmost cabins, especially on the lower decks. Most deck plans show the cheaper cabins at the rear on each deck, moving toward the front. The elevator (singular) is away from all cabins, so not a factor on river cruises. The only cabins that might be affected by proximity to the stairs are the very first pair on each deck -- and I haven't heard any complaints about these cabins so maybe it really isn't a factor. Remember that you are dealing with a much smaller passenger load than on ocean ships, and not a lot of nightlife. There have been some reports of noise in the lowest deck cabins (engine noise, possibly from passing ships, and lock noise) but other reviewers say they never heard a thing. The top deck of cabins is right under the sun deck, and people may be walking or jogging over your head. So my best guess for a quiet cabin is on the middle deck, close to the front of the ship (except maybe not the very first cabin).

The differences between cruises in each direction are subtle, but many reviewers think they make a difference. Basically, the river current (like the jet stream flying to/from Europe from the US) impacts the speed of the boats. So sailing upstream you may have less time in port than the apparently similar downstream itinerary.

Hi MalabooNewYork ~ its Peg from the Bordeaux cruise - how interesting it is that you're looking at the Danube Waltz for next fall - we're looking into the Romantic Danube, we'd like to combine it with a trip to Werdau where DH's grandfather came from!

The little I can add to your questions is:

Cabins - we've stayed in both D, the French Balcony and B, the Balcony- both times on the middle deck. Both rooms were very quiet. On the Forseti our cabin was 205 and I think 208 on the Rinda for our CM cruise, Dec 2013. I usually try and get cabins near the reception area because DH has a walking problem. Be aware that there were some complaints on CC about the walking/jogging noise on the top deck. We've never been on main deck as DH wants a big window. Also, the French Balcony room is tight!! But, then we never spend too much time in it so we survived!!

Airports - we flew out of Munich but just a transfer to CDG (now that's a challenging airport!!) and in/out of Frankfort but also within Europe. Had no problems either time but they weren't international flights. I try to avoid CDG at all costs - leaving Bordeaux we flew into Amsterdam to change flights - much easier IMHO!

Direction - I'll be interested in answers to this question since its one that's also in my head! Jazzbeau, thanks for your info! I think for us it'll depend on timing - I'll like to spend extra time both pre and post so we'll work that out and then see about fitting in the cruise!

Glad to hear another RC is in your future - it does become addictive!!!

Everything is written down. I love CC and would never survive without it. TripAdvisor, too.

I've already emailed the viking rep I'm working with my questions. It's absolutely wonderful to have a place where you can ask questions when something is totally new to you and you don't even know what you don't know.

Our cabin is going to have be in the cheapest category. But I can see now and from experience on the Forseti that being near stairs will not be much of a problem and that I should be more concerned about engine noise. Never thought of that.

Seriously, any thoughts or advice are welcome. I thank CC for making my initial cruise such a success.

Thank you Jazzbeau, jackson, and Alberta quilter.

@Peg--what a hoot to run into you over here. I felt like I ran into an old friend.