Souvenirs & Customs/Immigration

Birder1

Hi, all!

I may be asking an obscure question & if there is a better forum for this question, please let me know. Many thanks!

I will be travelling in 2015 on the Princess Sun around the islands of Papua New Guinea. I've never been to that part of the world before. I was curious about immigration/customs & prohibited souvenirs from Papua New Guinea.

I am from the US; I would suspect that any souvenirs from PNG would be subject to the immigration/customs' laws of Australia, as that's where I will be disembarking (Brisbane). Curious about US customs, as well.

I'm having difficulty researching which items (certain woods, etc) would be prohibited in Australia &/or the USA. Any advice is grately appreciated! :)

Hi, all!

I may be asking an obscure question & if there is a better forum for this question, please let me know. Many thanks!

I will be travelling in 2015 on the Princess Sun around the islands of Papua New Guinea. I've never been to that part of the world before. I was curious about immigration/customs & prohibited souvenirs from Papua New Guinea.

I am from the US; I would suspect that any souvenirs from PNG would be subject to the immigration/customs' laws of Australia, as that's where I will be disembarking (Brisbane). Curious about US customs, as well.

I'm having difficulty researching which items (certain woods, etc) would be prohibited in Australia &/or the USA. Any advice is grately appreciated! :)

If you ultimately will be importing any items you purchase out of the U.S. into the U.S., all must comply with restrictions and provisions of U.S. Customs rules. It doesn't matter how many countries you enter prior to returning to U.S. as when you finally return home to U.S. you process through CBP Inspections here. The dollar limitations will apply as will permitted/not permitted items rules.

Good question, though. :)

We bought a wood carving on one of the Pacific islands. Declared it in NZ and it was thoroughly inspected but went through. And yes, declare even candy. Auckland had sniffer dogs and so did Brisbane. The Brisbane beagle smelled a sandwich that had been in my backpack days before.

Thank you, sail7seas, essiesmom, & missmoo4! I appreciate your responses/advice!

I'm diligently reading the links now...

I was on HAL in 2008. I bought (too much) carvings in West Africa...HAL took them & immersed them in insecticide 'til the end of the trip. I had no issue in Lisbon nor the US. I know how (justifiably) picky Australia & NZare, so I thought I'd ask.