Movement on the Getaway??

johndeere02

I've read in a few reviews that the Getaway has quite a bit of rocking back and forth. Has anyone else found that to be true? Thanks!

We just disembarked on the 15th. It was quite windy in the Atlantic Ocean. Mind you I am very prone to motion sickness so I had to stay midship the first two days until I became acclimated. Anytime we went to the Aft for specialty dining I would notice swaying. However once we left St. Thomas as was more in the Carribbean sea the waves were barely 4 ft. We were midship on 5 so I was fine. But I would say me personally I noticed a lot of rocking and swaying. I will say it made for wonderful nights of sleep though;)

I've read in a few reviews that the Getaway has quite a bit of rocking back and forth. Has anyone else found that to be true? Thanks!

As I noted last week (with edits) re: our cruise on Getaway three weeks ago...

On our first day and a half, Getaway was cruising through fairly choppy water kicked up by a weakening and distant tropical storm. At one point, the captain noted that the waves were as large as "three meters," although they appeared a bit smaller to my eyes. During these days, I could definitely feel significant lateral (side to side) movement at the front and back of the ship--and I'm talking almost constant movement. This was very noticeable even in the aft of the Garden Cafe, on Deck 15, but at no time did we see people panicking or getting ill. Our stateroom was located on Deck 11--at the front of the ship. We did feel a little up-and-down movement on the first two days, though nothing like we felt at the back of the ship. At mid-deck, things were more stable.

A few days later (Friday?), a disconcerting vibration was very noticeable in the rear of the Tropicana Room, on Deck 7 in the aft. (We were seated on the side of the dance floor.) I'm talking shaking so bad at times that I thought the ship had sustained prop damage. This made me wonder what cruisers located in the aft staterooms on decks 1-6 were feeling.

By contrast, this time last year, we sailed on the Carnival Valor (free trip; great itinerary), which was so glassy smooth that it felt motionless.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Just off on the 15th. I can honestly say I did not feel much movement at all. We had perfect weather and no storms though. I did not have my usual rocking sensation when I got off either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I thought the Getaway had a lot of movement compared to the Breakaway. On the Getaway we had only 4 foot or less waves and there was a lot of side to side movement. I could see the up and down movement but not really feel it. Considering we had such small waves I was very surprised by the about of movement we felt the entire cruise, even when we reached the Caribbean and the sea state was calm.

On the Breakaway we didn't feel movement until the last day when we encountered 27 foot waves.

I was on the Getaway for two weeks in October. I didn't feel any more regular rocking than I have on any other cruise ship. It all depends on the seas OP. I've been on cruises with high seas and low seas, and each ship reacts similarly.