Hawaiian Motels

Cruisin' oldies

we are going to Hawaii in april and we have booked the ohana east (not west) hotel.we are three couples with a separate room each .all rooms we have booked have a kitchen and (faraway) ocean view.we have stayed in the ohana west before and the east is just around the corner,very very central to the right places,and only a 15min walk to the beach.$160.00 Australian per night per room, in april, don't know about prices in December,but a decent hotel and a bit more modern than the ohana west.google it, it comes up pretty good.

cheers

We are going to Hawaii on the Pride of American in December and are staying 2 nights in Honolulu. Any suggestions on Motels/Hotels to stay at?

Most people stay in the Waikiki Beach area for convenience in walking to the beach, shops and restaurants. There is everything from big hotel resorts like Hilton Hawaiian Village to condo type hotels. Outrigger is a property you see mention often here. A google of Hawaii hotels will bring you a list of hundreds.

Trip Advisor website ( sister site of Cruise Critic ) is a great place to read actual customer reviews of the properties which are ranked #1 down based on the feedback.

Not many motels in Waikiki, but we did find one we liked the looks of, called the Hawaiiana (just a block or two from Waikiki Beach).

http://www.agoda.com/hawaiiana-hotel/hotel/hawaii-oahu-hi-us.html?type=1&site_id=1622863&url=http://www.agoda.com/hawaiiana-hotel/hotel/hawaii-oahu-hi-us.html&adid=49339430849&network=g&adpos=1t1&expid=&rand=1265200342279806926&device=c&tag=e2a03a43-9cc2-47c8-a8ce-7199e93f96d7&gclid=CI3rq6WMh8ICFYlffgod0E0AYw&cklg=1

I also looked at the Ilikai (more like condos). Both were reasonable rates, but December could boost the price as they consider it Christmas season.

http://www.ilikaihotel.com/?cm_mmc=Google-_-Ilikai+Hotel+-+Exact-_-adword-_-ilikai%20hotel&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand+-+Exact+-+US%2FCN&utm_term=ilikai%20hotel&utm_content=sqCtj2Skr|pcrid|51388605055|pmt|e&gclid=COO8pPSMh8ICFZCVfgodJ0gAyQ

Both are called Hotels but I don't think of them like the Hilton or Ohana or Outrigger Hotels. There are probably 1,000 hotels on Oahu, only you can decide which is best for you and your pocketbook. Have a great trip!

For what it's worth, I would never stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village again. The room was nice, good views..etc, but I was blown away by the sheer number of people all over the place and it was definitely not what we were wanting to experience.

There were thousands of people there. Lines, massive waits and more rude people than I've ever met in my life. This coming from a guy that loves a trip to Disney, Vegas, NYC...

We were lucky that it was only a one night stay before the cruise. Anything longer than that we would have checked out and tried somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For what it's worth, I would never stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village again. The room was nice, good views..etc, but I was blown away by the sheer number of people all over the place and it was definitely not what we were wanting to experience.

There were thousands of people there. Lines, massive waits and more rude people than I've ever met in my life. This coming from a guy that loves a trip to Disney, Vegas, NYC...

We were lucky that it was only a one night stay before the cruise. Anything longer than that we would have checked out and tried somewhere else.

We stayed one night pre cruise and one night post cruise and after the first night I would have agreed with you. So confusing and busy, and the tower we were in was nothing special. We were worn out after two days of traveling.

But on our return post cruise, we were upgraded to a corner suite on the 30th floor of I think, the Rainbow Tower. Big balcony on one wall looked out on the lagoon, which looked like a blast. Our Grandkids would have loved it! The other side had a big balcony looking out on the ocean. Talk about a gorgeous view. It looked like the water was right beneath our feet. I was dying to get in, but alas, no time. Wonderful pools, and after we walked around a little it was not so confusing. We also found some top notch entertainment that night on property in a bar/restaurant close to the beach. If we ever do a family vacation to Waikiki, HHV would be at the top of my list.

We stayed at this property several years ago when my husband was attending a conference and this was one of the conference hotels. We've never stayed there again.

While we've stayed in several Waikiki hotels we prefer the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore of Oahu.

Not many motels in Waikiki, but we did find one we liked the looks of, called the Hawaiiana (just a block or two from Waikiki Beach).

http://www.agoda.com/hawaiiana-hotel/hotel/hawaii-oahu-hi-us.html?type=1&site_id=1622863&url=http://www.agoda.com/hawaiiana-hotel/hotel/hawaii-oahu-hi-us.html&adid=49339430849&network=g&adpos=1t1&expid=&rand=1265200342279806926&device=c&tag=e2a03a43-9cc2-47c8-a8ce-7199e93f96d7&gclid=CI3rq6WMh8ICFYlffgod0E0AYw&cklg=1

I also looked at the Ilikai (more like condos). Both were reasonable rates, but December could boost the price as they consider it Christmas season.

http://www.ilikaihotel.com/?cm_mmc=Google-_-Ilikai+Hotel+-+Exact-_-adword-_-ilikai%20hotel&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand+-+Exact+-+US%2FCN&utm_term=ilikai%20hotel&utm_content=sqCtj2Skr|pcrid|51388605055|pmt|e&gclid=COO8pPSMh8ICFZCVfgodJ0gAyQ

Both are called Hotels but I don't think of them like the Hilton or Ohana or Outrigger Hotels. There are probably 1,000 hotels on Oahu, only you can decide which is best for you and your pocketbook. Have a great trip!

The Illikai is better off booked as a vacation rental. Much better prices too.

Look them up on say, VRBO.com.

• 3 weeks later...
are trying outrigger reef for 2 days in feb. Depends on your budget and what you are looking for in location, amenities, etc.

We stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach in October. It was really nice! They have a nice pool, a restaurant and a bar area, easy beach access and it's close to walk to the heart of Waikiki. We would stay there again!

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Ilikai and just loved it. Huge rooms, nice tropical look. A couple minutes and your on the beach. Lots of nice areas for just relaxing in the hotel. on site resturant. we loved sitting on our balcony early in the morning drinking coffee and watching the waves come in.. we will return again next April and look forward to another great visit