Iconcierge rollout...

radzer0

Anyone heard anymore about this or did NCL kill it? 2 years ago one of the VP's came out and said it would be on all ships by the end of 2013 and yet its still missing from many boats. Even ones who have had overhauls since. (overhaul and drydock are different in my mind as overhauls can be done while the ship is in service)

I have the app on my S5, and have used it for at least the countdown clock for the last few years. Never tried to use it on the ship before because I don't think it was active on the last cruise we took. However, I plan to use it on the Getaway in January, and look forward to seeing how it works.

I look forward to hearing from other people that have used it already!

From Norwegian's website:

NORWEGIAN ICONCIERGE

Now Norwegians can unwind, unplug and still stay connected. Our Norwegian iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more on board Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel or Norwegian Pearl. You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink.

From Norwegian's website:

NORWEGIAN ICONCIERGE

Now Norwegians can unwind, unplug and still stay connected. Our Norwegian iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more on board Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel or Norwegian Pearl. You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink.

And how exactly does this answer my question about how they said rollout would be done by the end of 2013? It's end of 14 and I find online about the dawn having it turned on in March of this year listed as " previously turned on"

It was on the Getaway a couple of weeks ago. Our party of 6 got it and it was just ok. Didn't work half the time and constantly sent messages that it seas not connected to the ships wifi. Wasn't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Id mainly use it just for the phone portion. Im the only one in my family with a smart phone so they would be calling me from ship phones.

It does say to kill off everything but wifi for it to work properly on the paperwork ive seen.

It is part of NEXT program, will be rolled out on selected older ships after drydocks. Jewel and Pearl already completed, At least four ships (rest of Jewel class plus Dawn class) still to follow.

Edited by Demonyte

The dawn has no plans for a future drydock as per NCL's site. I guess its the only one not getting it. Seems like neworleans always gets the shaft of boats anyways. Even the star isnt listed and I wouldnt be suprised if after next year with the dawn it comes back here.

Also NCL lists the epic as not getting the NEXT upgrades yet but it still has it. So maybe that info is wrong?

Also the spirit was done after all of this was put into place and it doesnt have it. I read that it was a upgrade they would do while the boat was in operation since its a separate system from the normal wifi. Makes me think more that it isnt part of the drydocks.

Edited by radzer0

The dawn has no plans for a future drydock as per NCL's site. I guess its the only one not getting it. Seems like neworleans always gets the shaft of boats anyways. Even the star isnt listed and I wouldnt be suprised if after next year with the dawn it comes back here.

Also NCL lists the epic as not getting the NEXT upgrades yet but it still has it. So maybe that info is wrong?

Also the spirit was done after all of this was put into place and it doesnt have it. I read that it was a upgrade they would do while the boat was in operation since its a separate system from the normal wifi. Makes me think more that it isnt part of the drydocks.

Epic was the first ship to have it. No upgrade needed.

Didnt realize they started it when the built the epic, but what happened to the spirit? They did it this year and it didnt get the upgrade with the next program. I know its a smaller ship but its not something that uses tons of space.

Id mainly use it just for the phone portion. Im the only one in my family with a smart phone so they would be calling me from ship phones.

It does say to kill off everything but wifi for it to work properly on the paperwork ive seen.

We attempted to use it for calls to home as it was only 79 cents a minute. Would lose signal by the second ring so never got to. We also

Made sure everything was off when we used it. Despite paperwork telling you otherwise this app has a long way to go.

We attempted to use it for calls to home as it was only 79 cents a minute. Would lose signal by the second ring so never got to. We also

Made sure everything was off when we used it. Despite paperwork telling you otherwise this app has a long way to go.

Yea im just refering to in ship. I do all my back home calling thru ring.to (previously grooveip) In cozumel the public wifi it actually bypasses the pay portion. Dont know if this is a design flaw or actual design. Webpages wont work tho.

. . . You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink . . .

Oh, Good Lord :eek: :eek: - - Please please please tell me the NCL marketing team didn't actually post that online.

I'm on the Jewel next week and am looking forward to trying it out. Will I be able to post on CC using my smart phone?

Not using iconcierge. You can use data to post by purchasing a data package on the ship

There are two components to iConcierge. The first portion is free which allows you to book shows, shore excursions, dinner reservations and I believe see the daily events on the ship.

The 2nd portion is 7.99 and allows you to receive and make calls shipwide in addition to sending and receiving messages from other PAID iConcierge users.

The system works OK at best. I did have some problems with the app recognizing that I was on the ship's Wifi and using it for voice was just abysmal. If you are traveling in a group the messaging might be useful otherwise the free portions of the app are good enough.

This was on the Getaway back in August.

We never tried to call home with it, but calling on the ship was problematic as it was difficult to hear who you were talking to. We never got a single text to go through in about half a dozen attempts.

The free part was great. Used it to make dining reservations a couple of times. Also liked being able to keep an eye on my account balance and check the daily schedule.