Condition of the Millennium

dogted

We are booked on the Transpacific on the Millennium in September 2015.

There are some really bad reviews on cruise critic and others regarding the condition of the ship. Anyone have any insight or photos.... not sure we want to spend all those sea days on a bad ship!

Thank you

Take all reviews with a grain of salt. The M-class ships are older, but they are in very good condition....they aren't as new and sparkling as the S-class ships and if you look, you'll surely find some spots of rust and worn upholstery (you'll also find that on some of the s-class ships, by the way). The sea is a harsh environment for ships and some seem to like new..they pick new hotels, new ships, etc. We actually prefer a little charm and book inns and older hotels most of the time. We're all different.

I wouldn't hesitate to book the millenium...we've been on the infinity (sister ship) four times in the past year...last on the millenium doing back to back cruises out of singapore last year. Great cruises.

I've been on the Millennium twice this year and will sail her again in January. There are some cosmetic issues (the jogging track, veranda rust buildup covered with layers of paint, etc.) but overall the ship is still in great shape after almost 15 years. Staterooms, public areas, corridors are well maintained. Don't know why anyone would avoid her.

I read some of those things before I was on the Mille this summer. An example: Some talked about missing wood railings (SP?). The people where just all bent out of shape about it. When I got on board I saw that, but noticed that they were talking them off, refinishing them a few at a time on the very upper most deck (out of the way of everything, everybody), and putting them back on. They were just beautiful when the workers got done with them. I can't believe the people that were complaining didn't notice that! In other words, don't believe everything you read on forums, some people just don't have a clue what's 'really' going on!

Edited by rmalbers

Thank you very much....I know that some peoples complaints are ridiculous, but I wanted a few opinions. This will be our last long distance cruise (time is marching on) we are excited and want it to go well, we are not complainers, I'm going to stop reading those reviews !!

Hi DOGTED,

I agree whole heatedly with what GHSTUDIO and RMALBERS have said above.

Your concern is actually a common one (here is a thread asking the same thing about The Constellation = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2107418 )

As I said then (NOTE - My updates for today are in Bold)

== snip ==

As for the Constellation, (or Infinity, Millennium, Summit) she is a much beloved Celebrity Ship... I have an upcoming cruise on her / them and am really looking forward to it.

I think for some the issue is that she is one of the M-Class Ships. Celebrity has gained a lot of new customers (myself included) and notoriety in the last few years with the launch of their bigger "modern" S-Class Ships... 5 in 5 years.

We certainly love the S-Class Ships... We were on the Solstice in 2012

But we have to say we love the M-Class Ships too (there are 4). We were on the Summit in 2013.

We have no qualms booking any of the ships M or S Class... Like I said we will be on the Connie soon (and the Summit again in 2015)

Guess you could say we just love Celebrity... Because the service & pampering remains across the line no matter what ship you are on

Personally, I think that Reviews are just opinions (and everyone has one... No two are ever the same)

I definitely read them... But I tend to put more weight in Stats than words

Cause sometimes we get bogged down in words... And the opinions of others... Til as they say you cannot see the forest for the trees

As I told another poster today (they were wondering about The Infinity which is also an M-Class Ship):

I find the same situation you are in when I look at CCs sister website TripAdvisor for Accommodations - Attractions - and Restaurants

And like TripAdvisor CC has such a system in place as well for numerical statistic based ratings

Here on CC you will find their is a Rating & Review Page for each Ship. It includes a Review written by a CC Editor (Professional Travel Writer) as well as links to all the Reviews written by CC Members.

But it aso has gathered numerical data from each Reviewer that it continually monitors / updates

As of today ~ November 24, 2014

The Millennium has 896 CC Member Reviews, and an overall rating of 4 Stars out of 5, with 74% Pax loving it. (The CC Editor gave the Ship 4-1/2 out of 5 Blue Ribbons)

You will find ratings out of 5 for a variety of individual categories as well (Dining - Public Rooms - Cabins - Entertainment - Spa & Fitness - Family / Children - etc)

Also the latest CDC Score for the ship is 90%

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=167

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... If you have a ship or two you know you like it might be useful to look up their ratings for comparative reasons to determine your own personal standards on a numerical basis

Example when I look at Hotels, I know that I want a Hotel that is 3 Stars or more... Anything less and I WILL BE DISAPPOINTED... Doesn't matter then what anyone else says about it

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'm not a fan of the Millennium class ships for the following reasons.

They are older ships, and even though they were refurbished a few years ago, they are showing their age.

I'm not a fan of the shower curtains in the verandas, mildew issues

I also don't like the design and layout of the Oceanview cafe. It's a madhouse and it's often difficult to find a table to sit at without sharing.

Fewer specialty restaurants..

Once the " new " Panama Canal opens in 2016 , larger ships can traverse it. I think Celebrity will begin to retire these ships after that...

I was on the Millie in October. It was in excellent condition. I've been on newer ships which were in no better condition and it was not, as some reviewers claim, dirty or badly maintained. My previous cruise was on the Solstice so I was able to make a direct comparison. The S-class ships are certainly more elegant and it's harder to find any rust (rust at sea!!! who would have thought?) but I was in no way disappointed with the Millie. It's a fine ship in excellent condition. Not quite up to the standard of the Solstice but much better than I expected for its age.

I also noticed constant maintenance going on while I was on board.

As for the Oceanview Café I never had any problems with it being overcrowded. Admittedly I ate most breakfasts in Blu but the days I did eat there were probably the busiest when everyone was looking for a quick breakfast before a short day in port. Even on those days tables were easy to find - I've sailed on ships which were much more crowded and it was certainly not much worse than the Solstice.

The only reported issue that I agreed with was the sewage smell. It was isolated to one deck on my cruise but it definitely seems to be a recurring issue, although I only took note of it because I was alert for it - my wife doesn't even recall it.

Edited by gek

I'm not a fan of the Millennium class ships for the following reasons.

They are older ships, and even though they were refurbished a few years ago, they are showing their age.

I'm not a fan of the shower curtains in the verandas, mildew issues

I also don't like the design and layout of the Oceanview cafe. It's a madhouse and it's often difficult to find a table to sit at without sharing.

Fewer specialty restaurants..

Once the " new " Panama Canal opens in 2016 , larger ships can traverse it. I think Celebrity will begin to retire these ships after that...

There are pros and cons for every ship/class of ship. There are only two elevator banks on the s-class....vs three on the smaller M-class ships mean less walking. The storage over the beds in s-class cabins is inaccessible if you are short (eg. my 5'0" DW can't possibly reach those), I can't comment on the buffet on any of the ships...we avoid them in an attempt to stay healthy (tongs in the food, folks pick up things with their fingers,....)...that's across both m and s-class. We also don't generally eat at the specialty restaurants unless there is some outstanding deal..and wouldn't eat again in Silk Harvest if it were free (s-class). For whatever reason, we do find that it's easier to find a deck chair on m-class than on s-class...might just be luck. Finally, when they hold the $10 for anything you can grab sales, the number off ill mannered grabbers is less on m-class than s-class :)

Overall, we have a good time on both classes of ships...we pick cruises by either itinerary or "irresistible super special deal". We don't go out of our way to book a newer ship...in fact we always try to sail on a smaller ship, if possible. We'll be on one of the last sailings of the Ryndam because it has a unique iceland itinerary...and that's an old ship. You have a higher chance of winning the lottery than finding us on on the Oasis or Allure....and we're even avoiding the reflection...new is not high on our list...not waiting in lines is.

Different strokes for different folks.

One final question: Kevin, how do you even know what type of shower curtains are in a standard veranda cabin :)

Take all reviews with a grain of salt. The M-class ships are older, but they are in very good condition....they aren't as new and sparkling as the S-class ships and if you look, you'll surely find some spots of rust and worn upholstery (you'll also find that on some of the s-class ships, by the way). The sea is a harsh environment for ships and some seem to like new..they pick new hotels, new ships, etc. We actually prefer a little charm and book inns and older hotels most of the time. We're all different.

I wouldn't hesitate to book the millenium...we've been on the infinity (sister ship) four times in the past year...last on the millenium doing back to back cruises out of singapore last year. Great cruises.

Thanks for your comments. We are booked on both the Infinity and the Millie and appreciate your positive remarks. I like a little charm as well and loved the Millie several years ago.

We just returned from our Vancouver to Singapore cruise, 70 days on board in total. Sea days will see the buffet lines longer because passengers can't hang around the pool deck when crossing the northern pacific. Except for the ocean view cafe, we prefer millennium class over Solstice class. Sailing on these older ships is like wearing your most comfortable clothes. There are a few dents, smudges and rust spots, but the convenience of finding a free elevator in three parts of the ship or even walking up is easy compared to the bigger ships.

We can't rave enough about our time on board, even though not everyday or every cabin is perfect. Food options do get a bit boring with fewer restaurants but I would eat in qsine every night for a different meal if I could handle the calories.

• 3 months later...