Freeport beach...carnivals excursion or on our own?

bdisney

I'm going on a carnival cruise in January. It'll be our first one, and we want to at least see the beach even if it's too cold to go in. What is the difference between taking carnivals beach break excursion for $140 for the 4 of us to Taino beach vs. we take our own transportation there? How hard is it and how safe is it to do that when getting off ship? I don't know what to expect since this is all new to me. Also how safe is it since i'm a single mom traveling alone with 3 kids to do it on my own?

• 4 weeks later...

When we went we caught a cab at the port to Lucaya Marketplace (hope I spelled that right). From there you can visit a free beach or do a day pass like we did at the Grand Lucayan (again spell check 😊). The van ride was $4 per person and they pick you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

$14. p/p round trip from the port to Taino Beach by shared taxi. You may have to wait for them to fill a taxi before they're willing to take off from the port. You may want to ask on CC roll call boards if there are any others wanting to go to Taino Beach to fill the taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Freeport's Junkanoo Beach Resort is on Taino Beach. Taino Beach is a long stretch of beach that also has Tony Macaroni's.

website for Junkanoo Beach : http://www.junkanoobeachfreeport.com/

Paradise Cove is the other direction from Freeport. It's on Deadman's Reef. You snorkel from the beach. There's a shaded deck, takeout restaurant featuring local food and drinks and a gift shop.

website for Paradise Cove: http://www.deadmansreef.com/

Freeport's Junkanoo Beach Resort is on Taino Beach. Taino Beach is a long stretch of beach that also has Tony Macaroni's.

website for Junkanoo Beach : http://www.junkanoobeachfreeport.com/

Paradise Cove is the other direction from Freeport. It's on Deadman's Reef. You snorkel from the beach. There's a shaded deck, takeout restaurant featuring local food and drinks and a gift shop.

website for Paradise Cove: http://www.deadmansreef.com/

Jumping in if you don't mind, is Junkanoo a public/free beach or do you need to purchase a pass? How far from the cruiseport is it by taxi?

Junkanoo Beach Resort in Freeport (Not Nassau) is about 20 minutes from the port. The shared taxi (really a van) will cost $14 round trip per person. The beach was $2 a person for admission. After that you could rent chairs etc. Check out the website. It gives you pictures and info. The free public beach by the Police Station in Port Lucaya will cost you $10 per person round trip. Again, that's a shared taxi. The public beach doesn't have any amenities however Billie Joe's Conch Shack is there! It's just down the beach from the Grand Lucayan.

• 1 month later...

So when everyone says "shared taxi", I understand what that means, but how does it work when you are at the beach and ready to return? Do you have to sit around and wait for others to get ready to leave and they fill the van before they'll take you back?

I wonder how long this will take if so. We have a VERY short time in port and have to be back to the ship by 12:30pm and I wouldn't imagine that was a "normal" return time for most. :confused:

We have been to paradise cove twice the 1st was great the snorkeling was great the second time the snorkeling was still great but the service was awful and many of our group got ate up by sand fleas so take bug spray if you go personally i will never go back due to the staffs rudeness

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

The shared taxi drivers know the drill. They will tell you what time to meet, and where, to head back to the ship.

Be aware of the time and you should be fine!

Awesome. Thanks zubee!

We have been to paradise cove twice the 1st was great the snorkeling was great the second time the snorkeling was still great but the service was awful and many of our group got ate up by sand fleas so take bug spray if you go personally i will never go back due to the staffs rudeness

Exactly what we experienced...from start to end. These people need a lesson in customer service. I have read MANY reviews of people complaining about the rude staff at this place. :mad:

Edited by mitsugirly

Exactly what we experienced...from start to end. These people need a lesson in customer service. I have read MANY reviews of people complaining about the rude staff at this place. :mad:

Im glad it wasnt just our group that experienced that. Its really sad it is that way because the snorkeling there is some of the best we have done.