Illness and Cancellation Policy Correlation

Seabourn Pearls

I recognize that CDC reporting requirements coupled with media bias contribute to news coverage of cruise ships with outbreaks of norovirus or other illnesses.

However, does anyone else think there is a connection between illness and cruise line cancellation policies?

So your cruise is a few days away and you start to feel a little bug coming on. But the wife is so looking forward to the trip and you don't have trip insurance so if you cancel she'll be crushed and you'll be out $3,000 and it's just a 48-hour bug and you're bound to feel better and.......then 350 people onboard get sick.

I have no evidence to support the theory but I bet at least 50% of noro outbreaks are brought on board by sick passengers who didn't want to cancel because they would lose their investment.

If I'm right how would you create a policy that addresses the problem without throwing the booking process into utter chaos for the carriers?

First, what does this have to do with Celebrity cruising? Second, To evaluate your theory it would be important to know when the cancellation policy became the norm. Third, the epidemiology of norovirus is complicated. Fourth, I'm having a little fun with you. Fifth, trip insurance was created for a reason. Happy cruising.

I recognize that CDC reporting requirements coupled with media bias contribute to news coverage of cruise ships with outbreaks of norovirus or other illnesses.

However, does anyone else think there is a connection between illness and cruise line cancellation policies?

So your cruise is a few days away and you start to feel a little bug coming on. But the wife is so looking forward to the trip and you don't have trip insurance so if you cancel she'll be crushed and you'll be out $3,000 and it's just a 48-hour bug and you're bound to feel better and.......then 350 people onboard get sick.

I have no evidence to support the theory but I bet at least 50% of noro outbreaks are brought on board by sick passengers who didn't want to cancel because they would lose their investment.

If I'm right how would you create a policy that addresses the problem without throwing the booking process into utter chaos for the carriers?

I have no idea what percentage of noro is brought on by passengers, but I don't see passengers who are sick with noro being able to go anywhere.

Have you ever had noro? It is awful and you are not going to be getting too far away from the bathroom.

For full disclosure, I have not had noro on a ship.

We do not leave the US without travel insurance, and we hope to never use it. :)