Data Carrier Provided Global Internet Service Onboard

4yanx

I have seen a number of threads regarding the lack or expense of wi-fi service aboard most any cruise ship.

What I have not seen is much discussion about using a global data package, as offered by one's mobile data carrier. Verizon, for instance, offers a specific "cruise ship" plan and rate. Has anyone used such a service about which they'd be willing to share their experience?

I'm not certain, but I plan to visit a Verizon rep later tomorrow. On their site, they list continuous plans for a monthly fee and "pay as you go" for both land side and cruise ship rates. For cruise ships the rate is $2.49 per voice minute, 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive texts messages, and $20.48 Mb wireless data rate. The voice cost is brutal, but the data rate doesn't look too bad if you're just checking email and posting a picture to FB a time or four.

I'd appreciate hearing how it works!

Edited by 4yanx

I'm not certain, but I plan to visit a Verizon rep later tomorrow. On their site, they list continuous plans for a monthly fee and "pay as you go" for both land side and cruise ship rates. For cruise ships the rate is $2.49 per voice minute, 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive texts messages, and $20.48 Mb wireless data rate. The voice cost is brutal, but the data rate doesn't look too bad if you're just checking email and posting a picture to FB a time or four.

I'd appreciate hearing how it works!

You can just use the phone in your suite for less money than $2.49 a minute surely

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those that need to be in contact you can't drag your suite phone with you. But for me vacation is that. If I have no phone or Internet no loss.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

Yes I understand.

I keep in touch by email and the mobile phone works just fine with cellular at sea network.

A few years ago I used to take a satellite phone with me when travelling.

Now that could be expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from 7 days on Legend. Before we left, we opted for the lowest level ATT package. It cost $30 and provided free text, 120 MB roaming data, and $2/min phone. Extra data was $.25/MB. It worked well for checking the news and email for the port intensive itinerary. Also purchased 2 hr of ship's wifi for $30. The ship's internet was horribly slow, but useful for nights and one sea day. If we were to do a similiar cruise in the future, we would purchase more ATT data and avoid using the ship's.

I've explored all options as I don't have the luxury of being able to disconnect since I still run a company. Best option is the unlimited package offerred by Seabourn. It serves us well for our trips, but is best value on our longer voyages. Best not to nickel and dime if youbstill hsve responsibilities such that you need phone since you can use various phone services via internet.