A sort of Silversea / Whisper Report ... but only just.

uk1

Can help you here Durant.

Haggis is an almost extinct beast that no longer exists in England or Wales.

It's a short horned rodent with no ears or eyes and survives by avoiding men in skirts who generally have red hair and live north of the border. These mean have bags under their arms that they blow up and make noises with to flush the haggii (the plural of haggis) out of their hiding places. They plunge a dirk (knife) through their little hearts. They are sometimes captured alive during the hunting season and mated to produce enough haggii for visiting americans on cruises. Neeps and tattis are imported from America frozen but uckilly they are unable to tell the difference because frozen neeps and tattis from Arizona are considered better than fresh ones from Scotland.

Hope this helps.

Ah UK1 -- what a wicked sense of humor you have! How well I remember my last trip to Scotland and gazing with amazement at the hegemony (proper word for group of haggii) of haggii darting across the moors.

Re neeps and tattis, I believe the Australians have the proper method -- they simply dispense with defrosting and eat them frozen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seas the Day:

Huh???? Can you write that in English???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am English, and I wrote it in English. I think you meant that you wanted me to write it in American? Sorry - haven't been to language school yet.

I thought I was being funny... In some languages the dialects differ far more than British & American forms of English. Let's just agree that, at times, we don't communicate as "effectively" as we could.

BTW, I was thinking about your ORIGINAL point in this thread. With a significant sized yacht running eight-figures or more, and a tank of gas costing five figures per fill-up, and the necessary crew at six to seven-figures per year, and... then Silversea is a considerable bargain. It is all reference point, and perspective. Just like how we Americans might view things differently than our closest allies across the Atlantic.

Seas of the Day, nope - saw the humour - I was just unsuccessfully trying to be funnier.

You made my point more eloquently than me - and probably more successfully (!) than me.

I think - as I said - less can mean more - and ignoring affordability- a top end suite on Silversea is exceptional value compared to the alternative you outline.

Brits and Yanks - divided by a common language!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by English Voyager:

I am reminded of being on a guided tour of the Tower of London,and the Beefeater saying(tongue in cheek) that he would speak English very slowly for the foreigners in the group viz the Americans,to which they replied that he should come to America and say that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was once on a Delta flight to Atlanta, and the stewardess came up to me and asked "Oliver Twist?" I looked at her blankly trying to work out why on earth she thought I was a dickensian charecter - when she asked again - slightly more assertively "Oliver Twist?" I looked at my travel companion - I looked at the stewardess. Clearly I hadn't asked for more food - so I knew I couldn't be Oliver Twist. I gave her my name and she blurted out at the top of her voice "Olive or Twist - for the Gin and Tonic sir!

Ah well.

I just have to share this.....on our first trip to Europe we were in Italy in a little restaurant, when a large group of young couples came in and sat at the next table. They chattered away in a language that sounded totally unfamiliar. Being a curious sort of person, I approached the table and asked what language they were speaking, and what country they were from...........imagine my embarrassment and chagrin (!) when one said they were Irish....their accent was so thick I didn't recognize it as English! Turns out they had been married in a big group by the Pope, which was a very popular thing to do in those days. (Maybe still is.)

icon_rolleyes.gif

Glenda Madrid

Archived